What kind of filter for a 75 gallon?

1. dahly Member Member

I am looking at 75 gallon tanks for cichlids, labs, johannies and that sort. I can pick one up for $100, used with glass lid and lights. What type of filter do you recommend? I like the Hagen Aquaclear power filter on my 29, but have thought about cannister filters too. I really have no idea, so I ask you. Thanks

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

I love my filstar canister filters. I have an XP2 and an XP3 running on my 100 gal. tank along with a large HOB filter and a sponge filter. That's because I have very messy fish in my tank. I chose the filstars because of price, easy pull out baskets for easy cleaning, auto priming, and they are supposed to have an auto shut off if the motor starts to overheat. Eheims are supposed to be top of the line, but I am very happy with my Filstars and they were much cheaper. The gallon per hour (gph) rate on the filstars is also impressive. Just my 2 cents.

3. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I have a penquin 350 (350gph) and a Millenium of the same size on my 75G. So thats 700gph I guess? If I had a choice I would go for two aquaclear 110's on it. one on each end. thats 400gphx2=800gph. Ten times your gallons is good, so 75 x 10 =750gph.
    Carol

4. dahly Member Member

10 times?  One 110 says it's good for 60-110 gallons.  I believe you, of course, but what's the deal?  I cleaned my filters this morning and the Whisper, I just don't like it.  I rinse the filter in tank water and although the flow is good, the filter looks disgusting!  Whenever the flow gets restricted, I am replacing it with ane AquaClear.  Same size that's on the 29.  My lfs says the smaller one is not very good.  The AquaClear is so easy to clean, and I don't need to replace anything, just rinse well.  Thanks!  :)

5. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I try not to look at what size tank filters are rated for but at gph. I mis-read the 110's gph, its 428 gph.(x 2 filters is 856gph) not 400gph like I thought :-[ At any rate you really want to figure 10x your tank volume which is 750gph. the next smaller AC is the 70 with 300gph and double that is only 600 gph. does that make sense? (I confuse myself sometimes ;) ) Better to over filter than to under filter.
    I found with only one filter going I had a dead spot(no water circulation) at the other end so I added the other filter.
    Carol

6. dahly Member Member

Point made and accepted. Now I have to get the tank............ ;D

7. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

GO DAHLY-GO DAHLY-GO DAHLY GET THAT TANK ;D
    Just love infecting people with MTS :p
    Carol

8. dahly Member Member

"It is easier to ask for forgiveness, than permission."  Was that Confucius or Ralph Kramden?  :D

9. dahly Member Member

Now I'm considering a 150, 48 x 31 x 24, with wood stand, lid and lights, $400.  Will she boot me and the fish out!

10. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Nah- the tanks are too hard ro move. But you now....... ;D
    Carol

11. Jon Well Known Member Member

pretty deep and tall 150 if its 48" long

12. dahly Member Member

I saw the 150 and it is too big, for now anyway. I did pick up two used aqua clears that would work well for a 75 gallon, when combined. Now, I'm just waiting for the "right" time. Thanks! ;D

13. Jon Well Known Member Member

Wow i just read this again where did you find a 150 w/ stand and lights for 400$ tell me now im about to blow over a grand on a 125 with a pine stand and canopy

14. dahly Member Member

The Greater Cincinnati Aquarium Society has a website GCAS.org that posts a lot for sale or trade. Very inexpensively too, I might add! ;D Check with your local aquarium society and save a bundle.

15. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

check ebay Jon like i said before my friend found a 125 gallon for under 200$ but he picked it up he has a shark in it its saltwater it will get 3.5 feet and he is going to get a stingray too