What Kind Of Filter Do You Invertebrate Lovers Use?

Homeslice

Well Known Member
Reaction score
To keep them safe and sound, including the babies? I've had some DIY internal filers, but they so get caught up in there and killed. I have an Aquaclear HOB with a pre-filter sponge on that, and it works fairly well, but the pre-filter sponge gets clogged fairly quickly, then when I go to wash it there is like tons of baby snails lodged in there I either have to spend 30 minutes picking out or mainly let them die when I wash it out.

I would use a sponge filter but for the same issue haha.

All ears for any ideas! Thanks!

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
maybe get a weaker airpump for your existing sponge filter? or possibly add extra airline to lower the suction flow but to keep it going?

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Consider using a stainless steel prefilter? I know what you mean with sponge, never had the same issue with SS mesh.

Homeslice

Well Known Member
Reaction score
kallililly1973 said:
maybe get a weaker airpump for your existing sponge filter? or possibly add extra airline to lower the suction flow but to keep it going?

Thanks you kallililly1973! I don't think its a suction thing caused by too strong an airpump - I think the snails just LOVE eating stuff on, and problematically IN, the sponge! They literally crawl inside it I'm like 99% sure haha!

Homeslice

Well Known Member
Reaction score
aussieJJDude said:
Consider using a stainless steel prefilter? I know what you mean with sponge, never had the same issue with SS mesh.

Thank you aussieJJDude! I had not thought about that - or even knew they existed! What some search terms on Amazon I can use to look for them? Anything other than "stainless steel prefilter"? Trying that one now! Thanks!

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Homeslice said:
Thank you aussieJJDude! I had not thought about that - or even knew they existed! What some search terms on Amazon I can use to look for them? Anything other than "stainless steel prefilter"? Trying that one now! Thanks!
Mesh prefilter, or mesh canister intake. (Or stainless steel canister intake)

On some boards they rather common, but for some reason not this board. You can get them pretty easy of ebay - from china - for less than a couple of bucks... the hardest thing is the wait.

Fishwifery

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What about a piece of pantyhose or tights banded onto it? and maybe slowing the flow down a bit.

Homeslice

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys and gals!

Fishwifery, that might work!

But those stainless steel ones look very cool and sturdy, and inexpensive! The biggest ones I seem able to find have a diameter of only 16mm, which is a bit over half an inch. Was hoping for a bigger one, but after much searching not seeing one. Anyone know?

Thanks!

thequietman44

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've always used sponge filters in invert tanks because they don't have real suction like HOB or internal power filters do, so they don't trap babies on their surface. I usually use an oversized sponge (my 10 gallon has a 5"x5" sponge filter) and adjust the air flow as high as possible without creating surface "explosions". Nothing really crawls down the lift tube, and the outer sponge traps tasty snacks for the shrimp and snails. As a bonus I'm running sponge filters in 3 tanks from a single Whisper 40 air pump attached to a 4-way gang valve, so it's pretty economical too

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom