Tabs or liquid?

• Tabs

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Liquid

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters
-Sofia-
Hello,
I have just bought a few plants and am wondering what kind of fertilizers, I have banana plant, hornwort, and bamboo. Should I use liquid ferts or tabs? I was thinking liquid but want to be sure. And if there are any recommended brands please tell me!
Thank you in advance!

DutchAquarium
I would dose with Flourish. you wouldn't need to do this often though. Hornwort isn't very fertilizer needy and only the banana plant might need occasional dosages. Also make sure your bamboo isn't fully sumerged. Lucky bamboo is not actually bamboo but a reed from africa that requirees that its leaves are above the waters surface inorder to prevent it from rotting.

-Sofia-
I would dose with Flourish. you wouldn't need to do this often though. Hornwort isn't very fertilizer needy and only the banana plant might need occasional dosages. Also make sure your bamboo isn't fully sumerged. Lucky bamboo is not actually bamboo but a reed from africa that requirees that its leaves are above the waters surface inorder to prevent it from rotting.
My bamboo is in my HOB filter. Would I need to add ferts like once a week? Or every other week or once a month?

DutchAquarium
How big is the aquarium?

-Sofia-
DutchAquarium
once a month should be fine. Check for excess algae growth or deffinceny in your leaves to know if it is too much or not enough

-Sofia-
once a month should be fine. Check for excess algae growth or deffinceny in your leaves to know if it is too much or not enough
Thank you! You've been much help

86 ssinit

39C6B98B-AC66-4278-9B53-039F64A68CA0.jpeg Started this 5.5 a little over a month ago. The plants all came out of my other tanks. Hornwart on the left. All the plants you have are easy growers. I use flourish on my other tanks but have been using 5 drops of Kent pro-plants a week on this tank. I’m happy with the results.
What are you using for lighting

Doratheexplorer
HI everyone, I just started with plants and am not sure if I need to fertilize and f so what I need to use I have java ferns and a red sword. I also have snails and blue lobster and clams so if I need to fertilize I need something with out copper in it can anyone help.

DarkOne
Hornwort feeds off the water column so tabs would be useless for them.

View attachment 420220 Started this 5.5 a little over a month ago. The plants all came out of my other tanks. Hornwart on the left. All the plants you have are easy growers. I use flourish on my other tanks but have been using 5 drops of Kent pro-plants a week on this tank. I’m happy with the results.
What are you using for lighting
You have Anacharis on the left, not hornwort. Nice little tank.

HI everyone, I just started with plants and am not sure if I need to fertilize and f so what I need to use I have java ferns and a red sword. I also have snails and blue lobster and clams so if I need to fertilize I need something with out copper in it can anyone help.

You might want to start your own thread but java ferns are easy to care for and very low maintenance. The red sword would need tabs. Seachem Flourish and Flourish tabs are invert safe.

Doratheexplorer
Cool thank you

Ellie Winters
I have anacharis, amazon sword, starogyne repens, assorted buce plants, anubias nana petite, wysteria, and I can't remember what the long grassy thing is.The wysteria and grassy thing are new.

I've had problems with stem plants dying or all their leaves falling off and never growing back but I don't fertilize or use CO2. Aquarium lighting is what came with the tank.

I don't have time to do anything with the tank more than once a week for the water change. So I'm looking for a set it and forget it kind of fertilizer. Hopefully on the cheap side?
15616044418831382184194.jpg
1561604507846967752184.jpg
1561604540088388215476.jpg
1561604561291-244112473.jpg

Vishaquatics
Thrive by NilocG is the best fert out there for your lowtech tank

Crispii
As for the swords and repens, you can make your own DIY root tabs with Osmocote+ and size 00 gelatin capsules. It's probably the cheapest fertilizers to use.

Ellie Winters
As for the swords and repens, you can make your own DIY root tabs with Osmocote+ and size 00 gelatin capsules. It's probably the cheapest fertilizers to use.
How would I do that?

Crispii
It's really simple. You can just pull out half of the gel capsules and insert the Osmocote. And viola, you got yourself a DIY root tab!

86 ssinit
It's really simple. You can just pull out half of the gel capsules and insert the Osmocote. And viola, you got yourself a DIY root tab!
It’s really that easy. But if your looking for even easier they (osmocote) can be bought on eBay real cheap and already Prepared. Yes I’m lazy.

Ellie Winters
It’s really that easy. But if your looking for even easier they (osmocote) can be bought on eBay real cheap and already Prepared. Yes I’m lazy.
Oh nice. I would prefer that method. I'm pretty lazy myself.

Ellie Winters
Thrive by NilocG is the best fert out there for your lowtech tank
I've seen a lot of great things about that one. But I do have one concern. A few of the reviews for it on amazon mention that it increases nitrates. I don't really test my water unless I start having problems with the fish that I can't immediately identify. Should I start it off at half the dose to be on the safe side? Quarter dose? Do I just have to suck it up and test the water??

Vishaquatics
I've seen a lot of great things about that one. But I do have one concern. A few of the reviews for it on amazon mention that it increases nitrates. I don't really test my water unless I start having problems with the fish that I can't immediately identify. Should I start it off at half the dose to be on the safe side? Quarter dose? Do I just have to suck it up and test the water??

Full dose, it only increases nitrates by 10ppm or so. I never test my water either and the fish are thriving, breeding and all.

Ellie Winters
Full dose, it only increases nitrates by 10ppm or so. I never test my water either and the fish are thriving, breeding and all.
Oh cool. Thanks. I'll go ahead and get some.

Damiano
Hey quick question I just got Thrive also. It says 1 squirt for every 10 Gallons 1-2 x per week. I have a 29 gallon So is it safe to do 6 squirts a week?

Dechi
For low tech tanks, you need Thrive C, which is formulated especially for them.

I just started using it, time will tell how my plants like it.

Damiano
For low tech tanks, you need Thrive C, which is formulated especially for them.

I just started using it, time will tell how my plants like it.
I think I got the regular one

Dechi
I think I got the regular one

Next time ! Maybe try to research what dose you should use with the regular Thrive, for a low-tech tank.

Damiano
I’m pretty sure I got the plus by accident. It doesn’t say plus on the label. But the letters are in green. What should I do?

Dechi
I’m pretty sure I got the plus by accident. It doesn’t say plus on the label. But the letters are in green. What should I do?

I would contact Nilocg for advice, I’m sure they can help. You won’t kill your plants if you use it, but you might have more algaes. Let us know what they say if you do.

nilocg contact-us

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mlash
  • Question
Replies
Views
Cherryshrimp420
Replies
Views
Finatic005