1. Amazon Prime Day!
    Attention Amazon Prime Members: Not to miss deals on lots of products for 36 hours starting July 15!
    Go here: Amazon Prime Day Deals
    Dismiss Notice

What Kind Of Fertilizer Should I Use?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Ellie Winters, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Ellie WintersValued MemberMember

I have anacharis, amazon sword, starogyne repens, assorted buce plants, anubias nana petite, wysteria, and I can't remember what the long grassy thing is.The wysteria and grassy thing are new.

I've had problems with stem plants dying or all their leaves falling off and never growing back but I don't fertilize or use CO2. Aquarium lighting is what came with the tank.

I don't have time to do anything with the tank more than once a week for the water change. So I'm looking for a set it and forget it kind of fertilizer. Hopefully on the cheap side? 15616044418831382184194.jpg1561604507846967752184.jpg1561604540088388215476.jpg1561604561291-244112473.jpg

2. CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

The swords and S. repens will need root tabs while the rest of the plants need liquid fertilizer.

3. Vishaquatics (Koiman)Well Known MemberMember

Thrive by NilocG is the best fert out there for your lowtech tank

4. CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

As for the swords and repens, you can make your own DIY root tabs with Osmocote+ and size 00 gelatin capsules. It's probably the cheapest fertilizers to use.

5. Ellie WintersValued MemberMember

How would I do that?

6. CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

It's really simple. You can just pull out half of the gel capsules and insert the Osmocote. And viola, you got yourself a DIY root tab!

7. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

It’s really that easy. But if your looking for even easier they (osmocote) can be bought on eBay real cheap and allready Prepared. Yes I’m lazy:rolleyes:.

8. Ellie WintersValued MemberMember

Oh nice. I would prefer that method. I'm pretty lazy myself.

9. Ellie WintersValued MemberMember

I've seen a lot of great things about that one. But I do have one concern. A few of the reviews for it on amazon mention that it increases nitrates. I don't really test my water unless I start having problems with the fish that I can't immediately identify. Should i start it off at half the dose to be on the safe side? Quarter dose? Do I just have to suck it up and test the water??

10. Vishaquatics (Koiman)Well Known MemberMember

Full dose, it only increases nitrates by 10ppm or so. I never test my water either and the fish are thriving, breeding and all.

11. Ellie WintersValued MemberMember

Oh cool. Thanks. I'll go ahead and get some. :)

12. DamianoValued MemberMember

Hey quick question I just got Thrive also. It says 1 squirt for every 10 Gallons 1-2 x per week. I have a 29 gallon So is it safe to do 6 squirts a week?

13. DechiValued MemberMember

For low tech tanks, you need Thrive C, which is formulated especially for them.

I just started using it, time will tell how my plants like it.

14. DamianoValued MemberMember

I think I got the regular one

15. DechiValued MemberMember

Next time ! Maybe try to research what dose you should use with the regular Thrive, for a low-tech tank.

16. DamianoValued MemberMember

I’m pretty sure I got the plus by accident. It doesn’t say plus on the label. But the letters are in green. What should I do?

17. DechiValued MemberMember

I would contact Nilocg for advice, I’m sure they can help. You won’t kill your plants if you use it, but you might have more algaes. Let us know what they say if you do. :)