What Kind Of Fertilizer Should I Use?

Ellie Winters

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have anacharis, amazon sword, starogyne repens, assorted buce plants, anubias nana petite, wysteria, and I can't remember what the long grassy thing is.The wysteria and grassy thing are new.

I've had problems with stem plants dying or all their leaves falling off and never growing back but I don't fertilize or use CO2. Aquarium lighting is what came with the tank.

I don't have time to do anything with the tank more than once a week for the water change. So I'm looking for a set it and forget it kind of fertilizer. Hopefully on the cheap side?
15616044418831382184194.jpg
1561604507846967752184.jpg
1561604540088388215476.jpg
1561604561291-244112473.jpg

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
The swords and S. repens will need root tabs while the rest of the plants need liquid fertilizer.

Vishaquatics

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thrive by NilocG is the best fert out there for your lowtech tank

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
As for the swords and repens, you can make your own DIY root tabs with Osmocote+ and size 00 gelatin capsules. It's probably the cheapest fertilizers to use.

OP
Ellie Winters

Ellie Winters

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Crispii said:
As for the swords and repens, you can make your own DIY root tabs with Osmocote+ and size 00 gelatin capsules. It's probably the cheapest fertilizers to use.
How would I do that?

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
It's really simple. You can just pull out half of the gel capsules and insert the Osmocote. And viola, you got yourself a DIY root tab!

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Crispii said:
It's really simple. You can just pull out half of the gel capsules and insert the Osmocote. And viola, you got yourself a DIY root tab!
It’s really that easy. But if your looking for even easier they (osmocote) can be bought on eBay real cheap and already Prepared. Yes I’m lazy.

OP
Ellie Winters

Ellie Winters

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
86 ssinit said:
It’s really that easy. But if your looking for even easier they (osmocote) can be bought on eBay real cheap and already Prepared. Yes I’m lazy.
Oh nice. I would prefer that method. I'm pretty lazy myself.

OP
Ellie Winters

Ellie Winters

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Vishaquatics (Koiman) said:
Thrive by NilocG is the best fert out there for your lowtech tank
I've seen a lot of great things about that one. But I do have one concern. A few of the reviews for it on amazon mention that it increases nitrates. I don't really test my water unless I start having problems with the fish that I can't immediately identify. Should I start it off at half the dose to be on the safe side? Quarter dose? Do I just have to suck it up and test the water??

Vishaquatics

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ellie Winters said:
I've seen a lot of great things about that one. But I do have one concern. A few of the reviews for it on amazon mention that it increases nitrates. I don't really test my water unless I start having problems with the fish that I can't immediately identify. Should I start it off at half the dose to be on the safe side? Quarter dose? Do I just have to suck it up and test the water??
Full dose, it only increases nitrates by 10ppm or so. I never test my water either and the fish are thriving, breeding and all.

OP
Ellie Winters

Ellie Winters

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Full dose, it only increases nitrates by 10ppm or so. I never test my water either and the fish are thriving, breeding and all.
Oh cool. Thanks. I'll go ahead and get some.

Damiano

Reaction score
Hey quick question I just got Thrive also. It says 1 squirt for every 10 Gallons 1-2 x per week. I have a 29 gallon So is it safe to do 6 squirts a week?

Dechi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
For low tech tanks, you need Thrive C, which is formulated especially for them.

I just started using it, time will tell how my plants like it.

Damiano

Reaction score
Dechi said:
For low tech tanks, you need Thrive C, which is formulated especially for them.

I just started using it, time will tell how my plants like it.
I think I got the regular one

Dechi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Damiano said:
I think I got the regular one
Next time ! Maybe try to research what dose you should use with the regular Thrive, for a low-tech tank.

Damiano

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure I got the plus by accident. It doesn’t say plus on the label. But the letters are in green. What should I do?

Dechi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Damiano said:
I’m pretty sure I got the plus by accident. It doesn’t say plus on the label. But the letters are in green. What should I do?
I would contact Nilocg for advice, I’m sure they can help. You won’t kill your plants if you use it, but you might have more algaes. Let us know what they say if you do. :)

nilocg contact-us

New Threads