What kind of equipment would me need to do a planted pond?

TrainerRuby

my grandparents have asked me to get their old pond back up and running for them. as of now its completely empty aside from weeds and algae. from the size I'm guessing its around 55 gallon but we aren't sure of the exact size. what kind of equipment would me need to do a planted pond? I want to stay sway from fish for this. they live in ohio so hot summers and cold winters. so far my plan is to have a small fountain on the left side and a waterfall on the right.

Lunas

You need to have some fish but they don't have to be expensive a scoop of minnows would do. The fish will prevent bugs from making it a breeding ground as for what you need for plants will depend on what plants you do floating ones all you will need is water. Is it above ground or below.

First you will want to clean it out you don't need to do a clean to the liner but generally scoop out whatever is caked in there and then do pump maintenance if that is replacing or cleaning and repairing... then fill and make sure it all works and does not leak. I don't think a 55 gallon pond can winter fish without a heater.

But you will want something in the pond to eat bugs
Mosquito fish or a scoop of minnows sold as bait fish. you might also want something to aerate from the bottom.

as for plants find out what is available locally

TrainerRuby

the pond is underground as far as I'm aware the pumps in it don't work anymore and I was thinking of just getting new ones anyway because the ones the have are around ten to fifteen years old. is there a specific type of heater that is made for outdoor ponds or will something for a tank work with a pond? would we also need to feed the fish or should I leave some algae for them to eat as well?

Lunas

You would need to feed the fish but it would not be much. yes they make heaters specifically for ponds. Is it one of those preformed plastic liners? Or membrane liner? Pictures?

TrainerRuby

It's a preformed plastic. I won't be able to get pics until next Saturday when I go to get started on clean it out. Its currently full with green water and weeds

Lunas

You don't need to clean it super well as the layer of algae is part of what it needs to cycle. First thing will be to drain it pull what pumps it has and see what they are like or pull them and lines to measure for the replacements. And see if anything is already living in it somehow...

TrainerRuby

Alright. After talking with my grandparents and having them check some stuff for me the pond is 50 gallon none of the filters and pumps work and the hoses have some holes and breaks in them. So essentially starting from scratch with it. We have a creek by our house with minnows so I may just catch some there. Would 10 minnows and a crayfish work well with something that size?

Lunas

yes you really just need something to eat bugs out of the pond so it doesn't breed mosquitoes and such Whatever can be caught locally will work fine you might also be able to find some good plants too. Time for a nature walk.

When keeping a pond local cats, snakes and birds will eat your fish. If they are locally caught minnows and such not such a big deal.

TrainerRuby

here's the pond as of now. The sides are overtaken with rocks hanging about 6" on both sides

Lunas

Well first thing will be to drain all the water then move the rocks away. I would decide how you want the area around it to look. Like if you want it surrounded by edging or a flower bed.

The old hoses can be used to measure for new ones.

TrainerRuby

I got it drained and all the rocks out of it. I found a pump under a brick that was in it and it still works great. There's mud at the bottom and is proving to be difficult to remove. The rocks immediately around the pond where taken out and we drained the old water and added new water to it. There wasn't as much algae as I anticipated there to be but there was some peat moss growing in it.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • The_fishy
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
Danny002
  • Question
  • EdmGuppyGal
  • Ponds
Replies
Views