What kind of eggs are these?

hagmegsis

So I normally find very tiny sacs of eggs on my glass just little bitty ones with a membrane of mucus ao=round them. I'm 99% possitive they are snail eggs so I scrap them off. However last night I found large whitish clearish ones scattered on the glass randomly not in a mucus sac but sorta in a group just not as much as the snail eggs. They are on teh back end of my tank so the pic is not good and I can't get any better with out moving the whole set up which weighs a few 100lbs.
Yes there is algae on my tank it came like that but the ottos are doing great at eating it all

My current stock is
molly ( live bearing means no eggs)
male guppy ( live bearing and not a female)
1 otto ( my school died ecept this one well I discovered all but 1 body so there is a small chance there are 2 but I haven't seen it in weeks. I'm thinking maybe the egg layer but I ahve no clue what there eggs look like and I thought they scattered them instead of putting them on the glass.)

and 1 pepper cory who has not seen another to my knowledge in at least 3 months

e_watson09

Fish don't have to see a male to lay eggs. I'm pretty sure the females lay the eggs and the male goes and fertilizes them. So you probably have unfertile eggs.

D_C_1

They could be from the Mollies if one of them had a premature birth.

hagmegsis

They could be from the Mollies if one of them had a premature birth.

even so I don't think they would be stuck to the side of the tank

I guess it's true iif it's a female it could lay with out a male. How do I tell if they are fertile?

Cichlidnut

sounds like snail eggs to me

Lucy

I've had a female cory lay eggs with no male present.
With no male, they can't be fertilized.

Are you sure the first ones you saw weren't just going fuzzy with fungus?

hagmegsis

yeah they are literally all over my tank and every time a new one appears it looks the same. The large ones are almost gone now not sure if something ate them or were they dissapeared to.

Cichlidnut

Do you have any adult snails in your tank?

hagmegsis

yeap I kill all the ones I can but they are burried in the gravel. The could be snail eggs but the eggs are just as big as the adult snails so I have no clue how they could lay something that big.

claudicles

I'd guess cory. They look like my cory eggs, and as Lynda said, no male, no fertilization.

callichma

I agree with claudicles.

Those look like cory eggs. The first eggs you described are snail eggs, but those distinct white ones have to be cory eggs because, except for the otos, all the rest are live bearers. If you recently did a water change with slightly cooler water, that stimulates them to lay eggs. Since Lucy said she had a female lay eggs all by herself, that is my vote. Mine have laid eggs twice--they scatter them all over the tank. Even a mystery snail had eggs on its shell. They were all eaten both times.

nandemonai

+1 for cory eggs. They look identical to the ones I had in my tank about a month ago. I was lucky enough to get 4 survivors

D_C_1

Looks like your cory wants you to get her a male friend

hagmegsis

I wouldn't mind breeding cories but I have no clue how to tell apart the genders in them and I'm sure my lfs can't either

D_C_1

The females are bigger/plumper/wider and the males are smaller.

nandemonai

My female is larger and much 'plumper' than my male corydoras.

I don't know if this is typically female behavior but mine always leads the males about the tank when they are roaming about together.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
coralbandit
Replies
Views
Flyfisha
Replies
Views
Z1001989
Replies
Views