What Kind Of Eel

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by IAmAKay, Jul 19, 2017.

1. IAmAKay

IAmAKayNew MemberMember

VIDEO0678_01_0000000000.jpg I just got a couple of these guys and one of them is starting to pick on the other. I'm afraid they are tire track eels and won't be able to be together. The store said they are zig zag eels, which some websites say are the same as tire tracks and some say they are different, more peaceful, and smaller than tire tracks. I have them in my 40 gallon right now but will move them to my 150 when they get bigger. If they are tire tracks, will they be okay together in a 150g? I also have rope fish in my 150.

2. grantm91

grantm91Fishlore VIPMember

Those are spiny eels they get to 3ft and are a brilliant addition to a big tank, i found mine mixed well with cichlids, my parrots and oscar, finicky eaters, bloodworms is all they will take in my experience, mine died. da50228f63d3c12e2b4cd53c27fa2947.jpg only suited to a well established stable tank.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  3. fissh

fisshWell Known MemberMember

The store was right those are zig zag eels, not tire track. Just leave them to together, they'll settle down. PS 2 tire tracks can live together, I've had that combo on many occasions. The biggest zz eel I've ever seen was about 10 inches, most staying around 6 to 7 inches, the biggest tt eel I've ever seen was about 4.5 feet. most staying around 3 feet. So your 2 eel should be able to live in your 40 gallon as long as you like.

4. OP
    OP
    IAmAKay

IAmAKayNew MemberMember

Okay, thank you! I was getting concerned.

5. grantm91

I cant get the video but my mate had a 2ft one in his tank they grow like fire eels, well mine did and was about 7 inch at less than a year old and it looks pretty similar. Not to offend but if it gets to ten without dying well done and update us on it i love these fish.

6. fissh

Fire eels get 5 ft. If you mate had a 2 ft eel it wasn't a zigzag.

7. grantm91

Im not sure but it looked like mine on the pic, I'm not saying your wrong its just what I've been told, i did a bit of looking on the interweb and youtube but there is all mixed stuff.

8. fissh

I was an importer for several years I have handled several thousand zig zag, peacock, tire track, fire eels, and many other species of mastacembelus eels (spiney eels). There are about 80 to 90 species in the group. The reason I know fire eels get 5 ft is because I got a shipment of 4.5 to 5 ft ones, the reason I know the other types is because if you misidentify a species, fish & wildlife can confiscate your whole shipment, not because of some bull puchy I read on a website!

9. grantm91

Nice man thanks for the info, i know spiny eel is the term given to the whole group of these fish. Its not an eel is it lol.

10. CoptapiaValued MemberMember

Both of those pictures are Macrognathus circumcinctus. ZigZig eels have longitudinal zigzag lines down the length the body.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice