Question What kind of critters am I feeding to my fishies?

Cold&warm

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi to everyone!

The picture below shows today's catch of live food from a bucket outside.
Could anyone tell me what the three types of larvae are?
IMG_20200605_061734957.jpg

Thank you very much!

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks mostly like midge fly larva. The red ones are just older or a different type of midge. The other 2 are also a fly species but i can't remember exactly what.

OP
Cold&warm

Cold&warm

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
MrBryan723 said:
Looks mostly like midge fly larva. The red ones are just older or a different type of midge. The other 2 are also a fly species but i can't remember exactly what.
Thank you for your reaction.

The tiny but thick black things do almost never move and hang on the water surface or against the wall of the bucket (at the top).
Indoors are some tiny tiny tiny midgets (?) that come to the screen of my smartphone when I watch/listen to YouTube in the dark. Tiny as they are they sting in a nasty way... :rage::rage::rage::rage:.

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Those are the ones i can't remember the name. I know they are in the same classification as house flies and gnats. Some midges bite, others don't. Sorry it sounds like you get the nasty kind.

OP
Cold&warm

Cold&warm

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
MrBryan723 said:
Those are the ones i can't remember the name. I know they are in the same classification as house flies and gnats. Some midges bite, others don't. Sorry it sounds like you get the nasty kind.
Wait a little more, and this year's edition of tiger mosquitos (Anopheles?) will be around, ouch ouch!
Since I got my fishies, though, I am (believe it or not...) almost happy that they migrated this way from far-off Asian lands: the critters in the picture are something of this year -before that it was only mosquitos (tiger and non). My fishies love them.

WrenFeenix

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The shorter black larvae are pupae. I worked in vector control for the county health department, so I’m familiar with the mosquito life cycle. I’d catch as many of those you can get out of your bucket, because they will soon turn into adults!

Alternatively, you could smother them (mosquito larvae and pupae breathe air via a snorkel) by covering the surface of the water in the bucket with coconut oil or another food oil, but since you’re using them as fish food, I don’t recommend it.

OP
Cold&warm

Cold&warm

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
WrenFeenix said:
The shorter black larvae are pupae. I worked in vector control for the county health department, so I’m familiar with the mosquito life cycle. I’d catch as many of those you can get out of your bucket, because they will soon turn into adults!

Alternatively, you could smother them (mosquito larvae and pupae breathe air via a snorkel) by covering the surface of the water in the bucket with coconut oil or another food oil, but since you’re using them as fish food, I don’t recommend it.
Thanks. I am going to look pupae up. I have never seen them, although as I said tiger mosquitos have fed on me for years.
What intrigues me is their motionlessness.

WrenFeenix

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Cold&warm said:
Thanks. I am going to look pupae up. I have never seen them, although as I said tiger mosquitos have fed on me for years.
What intrigues me is their motionlessness.
They can move, though. Don’t be surprised if they start spastically wiggling around, especially when disturbed.

If they’re in your house, I recommend sleeping inside a mosquito net. They can transmit all sorts of nasty things. Wearing bug spray with 25% DEET is best for keeping them away while on the move.

The public education aspect of my old job dies hard.:)

OP
Cold&warm

Cold&warm

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
WrenFeenix said:
The public education aspect of my old job dies hard.:)
I find that a very good thing ... :):):):):):).
Thank you for the info...
Fortunately the pupae are outdoors. They do not move at all, even if I touch them - with a pipette. Would they be dead?
Lately the thin red worms multiply enormously, forming clusters. Much to the delight of my fishies..

WrenFeenix

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Cold&warm said:
I find that a very good thing ... :):):):):):).
Thank you for the info...
Fortunately the pupae are outdoors. They do not move at all, even if I touch them - with a pipette. Would they be dead?
Lately the thin red worms multiply enormously, forming clusters. Much to the delight of my fishies..
If they don’t move, they could be very close to hatching or just cold. I would still remove the pupae even if they seem dead. It only takes a few days for them to hatch out into adults. My yard becomes a miserable place if I don’t flush all the stagnant water from my yard drain every few days. Too bad Vectolex is only available commercially, or I’d put that in there.

It’s been getting warmer lately, so I’m not surprised there are more larvae.

OP
Cold&warm

Cold&warm

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
WrenFeenix said:
If they don’t move, they could be very close to hatching or just cold. I would still remove SS ss pupae even if they seem dead. It only takes a few days for them to hatch out into adults. My yard becomes a miserable SS place from if I don’t flush all the stagnant water from my yard drain every few days. Too bad Vectolex is only available commercially, or I’d put that in there. (1*)

It’s been getting warm lately, so I’m not surprised there are more larvae. (2*)
1*: This is one of those moments, that it seems to me that I am still living in the stone age: I have never heard of anything like Vectolex ... :(:):joyful::inpain:. On the other hand, the unprecedented critter "bonanza" has a very limited scenario: 3-4 buckets outdoors partly filled by rainwater.
2*: The thin worm population is exploding: I don't need a pipette anymore - I can scoop them out. The thinnies are forming clusters... :happy::joyful::joyful::happy:.

Only that today all of a sudden one of my cardinals disappeared - much like in "Gentle on my mind" (one of my favorite songs) I turned and he was gone :(:(:(:( .

WrenFeenix

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Cold&warm said:
1*: This is one of those moments, that it seems to me that I am still living in the stone age: I have never heard of anything like Vectolex ... :(:):joyful::inpain:. On the other hand, the unprecedented critter "bonanza" has a very limited scenario: 3-4 buckets outdoors partly filled by rainwater.
2*: The thin worm population is exploding: I don't need a pipette anymore - I can scoop them out. The thinnies are forming clusters... :happy::joyful::joyful::happy:.

Only that today all of a sudden one of my cardinals disappeared - much like in "Gentle on my mind" (one of my favorite songs) I turned and he was gone :(:(:(:( .
I don’t think you live under a rock; I had no idea what Vectolex was until I got my pesticide license. It’s a bacterial-based pesticide that multiplies in the gut of the mosquito larvae until they explode. Gnarly stuff, but safe for the environment.

A bird cardinal? Did he fly away?

OP
Cold&warm

Cold&warm

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
WrenFeenix said:
I don’t think you live under a rock; I had no idea what Vectolex was until I got my pesticide license. It’s a bacterial-based pesticide that multiplies in the of the mosquito larvae until they explode. Gnarly stuff, but safe for the environment.

A bird cardinal? Did he fly away?
No, it is one of my two last Paracheirodon axelrodi buddies that literally vanished into thin air this morning after an abundant feed, you see him in this recent picture:
IMG_20200416_225002144_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

To find him, I even pulled out the 2 Lee's Economy Corner Filters I operate in their 10 gallon tank which has very little decor: a little black gravel (not enough to cover the whole tank bottom) and the escargot shells for my (Neolamprologus) multi(fasciatus), who is also in the picture.
Although big boys do not cry, I feel real said that he isn't around anymore. He and his fellow cardinal tetra were the last survivors of a group of 10. I bought them back in 2016 in a shop (now) too far away. I have read that in captivity cardinals can reach 5 years of age, and he seemed to be going for it... I wonder if he jumped out of the tank - it wasn't overcrowded: only 4 (now 3) small fishies to 10 gallons.
Lately I keep being surprised at how much a tiny fishie can mean to a grown up human being. Well, to say it in the words of singer Naomi Judd: to love is to be hurt ... :(:(:(:( .

Edit (2 hours and 15 minutes later):
I cannot believe it. Now the 4th fish (a harlequin Rasbora) has disappeared. It seems as if in my tank the script of a movie I watched lately on YouTube is being acted out, in which people kept disappearing ...

WrenFeenix

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Bucolic Buffalo said:
I believe mosquitoes transmit West Nile virus as there have been a few cases in my area in the last several years. Can they transmit corona virus as well?
No, COVID-19 is not transmitted by mosquitoes. Neither is Ebola. The diseases mosquitoes can transmit that I can remember are:
  • Malaria
  • West Nile Virus
  • Yellow Fever
  • Dengue
  • Zika Virus
  • La Crosse encephalitis
  • Keystone virus
  • Heartworm (in cats and dogs)
  • Equine encephalitis

WrenFeenix

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Cold&warm said:
No, it is one of my two last Paracheirodon axelrodi buddies that literally vanished into thin air this morning after an abundant feed, you see him in this recent picture:
IMG_20200416_225002144_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

To find him, I even pulled out the 2 Lee's Economy Corner Filters I operate in their 10 gallon tank which has very little decor: a little black gravel (not enough to cover the whole tank bottom) and the escargot shells for my (Neolamprologus) multi(fasciatus), who is also in the picture.
Although big boys do not cry, I feel real said that he isn't around anymore. He and his fellow cardinal tetra were the last survivors of a group of 10. I bought them back in 2016 in a shop (now) too far away. I have read that in captivity cardinals can reach 5 years of age, and he seemed to be going for it... I wonder if he jumped out of the tank - it wasn't overcrowded: only 4 (now 3) small fishies to 10 gallons.
Lately I keep being surprised at how much a tiny fishie can mean to a grown up human being. Well, to say it in the words of singer Naomi Judd: to love is to be hurt ... :(:(:(:( .

Edit (2 hours and 15 minutes later):
I cannot believe it. Now the 4th fish (a harlequin Rasbora) has disappeared. It seems as if in my tank the script of a movie I watched lately on YouTube is being acted out, in which people kept disappearing ...
Oh, sorry. I’ve been staring at cardinals at my bird feeder all day, and I don’t have any cardinal fish myself, so I forgot I was on a fish forum for a minute.:confused:

Could they be hiding in the shells? Maybe they got stuck.
Can you check around your tank to see if they jumped?

Im sorry about your missing pals.:( I hope you find them!

OP
Cold&warm

Cold&warm

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
WrenFeenix said:
Oh, sorry. I’ve been staring at cardinals at my bird feeder all day, and I don’t have any cardinal fish myself, so I forgot I was on a fish forum for a minute.:confused:

Could they be hiding in the shells? Maybe they got stuck.
Can you check around your tank to see if they jumped?

Im sorry about your missing pals.:( I hope you find them!
One thing I love about the USA is the wildlife you have got there. No cardinal's here, nor humming birds... I am so fond of the latter, that I would emigrate - if I could.

Thank you for your sympathy.
I have been wondering if some dragonfly larvae had come in with live food, but the weather is still too cold for dragonflies.
The harlequin and the Cardinal tetras never showed any interest for the shells, I checked around the tank. To be sure I pulled out the 2 survivors and put them in a bucket. Tomorrow I'll change all the water and check the shells one by one. Anyway, I am starting to get over it ...:(.

WrenFeenix

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Cold&warm said:
One thing I love about the USA is the wildlife you have got there. No cardinal's here, nor humming birds... I am so fond of the latter, that I would emigrate - if I could.

Thank you for your sympathy.
I have been wondering if some dragonfly larvae had come in with live food, but the weather is still too cold for dragonflies.
The harlequin and the Cardinal tetras never showed any interest for the shells, I checked around the tank. To be sure I pulled out the 2 survivors and put them in a bucket. Tomorrow I'll change all the water and check the shells one by one. Anyway, I am starting to get over it ...:(.
Your buddies are still missing? Does anyone live with you that might’ve eaten them (like a cat)?

I don’t think dragonfly larvae are in your tank, because there’d be absolute carnage to your fish and you’d see a giant, evil, alien-looking thing swimming around your tank. Dragonfly larvae look nothing like mosquito larvae.
You can probably find a YouTube video of dragonfly larvae eating fish. It’s horrifying.:eek:

New Threads