What Kind Of Corydoras Is This?

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by ap4lmtree, May 27, 2019.

1. ap4lmtree Well Known Member Member

A few months ago, I bought 6 emerald green corydoras from petco. Then, two weeks later, I bought 6 emerald green corydoras from an ebay seller. The ones from petco come to the front and are not scared; however, the ones from ebay always hide in the corner of my tank under a large sponge filter. The picture of the corydoras from the ebay seller showed their parent, and it looked like my petco corydoras, but their children dont seem to look like it so much.

The ebay ones look more dark. The two groups do not school together. Sometimes a darker ebay one would go around with the petco group, but it would do so only seldomly.

Even though, the ebay parent of the corydoras looks like my petco ones, i think their children might be green bronze corydoras or some other species. Does bronze corydoras (Corydoras aeneus) hide very often?

Here is my petco group:

[​IMG]

here is one of the ebay ones:

[​IMG]

To have better clarity of the ebay one, here is a video of it and the petco ones:

video two:

and finally, video three:

My questions [1] what kind of corydoras is this one and [2] does this species hide much and not go out much. There are six of his species, so i dont understand that if they dont usually hide.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  2. DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

The lighter ones (laying) are C.splendens, the darker one (swimming in the last vid) is a C.aeneus.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  3. ap4lmtree Well Known Member Member

It appears, under some lighting and perspective, the bronze / aeneus species can appear green sometimes; however, it is always a visibly darker green than the light green color of the emerald species.

4. Coptapia Well Known Member Member

The easy way to tell is that the Emerald Green Cory has a much bigger dorsal fin with 10-12 rays. C. aeneus (and all Corys that weren’t once Brochis) have 7 rays.

5. DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Agree. And differently shaped.

Recently overhere Green aeneus are sold as Brochis splendens as well. The person involved went angry when I told her hahaha.

6. Coptapia Well Known Member Member

How dare you stop her ripping people off...

7. DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah sorry.

8. ap4lmtree Well Known Member Member

I went to about four petcos and four petsmarts today to try to find some more emerald green corydoras (Brochis splendens). At one petco they had five of one species labelled that whereas other petcos were out. Petsmart carried green corydoras which they specified were corydoras aeneus. At that one petco that I found five labelled that, I debated for 20 minutes or so on whether to buy them or not because I didn't want to buy more corydoras aeneus.

Do these look like Brochis splendens to you?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of baby corydoras aeneus that I saw at a petsmart:
    [​IMG]

It is more difficult to tell the difference between the species when they are babies i reckon. However, these two groups of corydoras are the same species or do you think the three first pictures are of Brochis splendens like they are labelled?

To me they look like the same species, corydoras aeneus.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  9. DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

They are all C.aeneus to me. At least the first.are. Do you have another pic of the last ones?

10. DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Had a second look : All C.aeneus