What kind of Cories did I buy?

jiorio1216

Reaction score
Hello everyone! This is a bit embarrassing...but a sign of the times we are living in right now. I bought 6 new cories for my 55 gallon cycled tank with 3 panda cories (I know I have to buy more, can’t find them right now) and a Honey Gourami. They are absolutely beautiful cories, but the fish store I went to had the tanks roped off so I couldn’t see the cories before I bought them (they don’t want people hovering by the tanks because of social distancing, I live in NJ). The kid said they were salt and pepper cories, but when I looked them up, salt and pepper cories are quite small. I feel like these are definitely peppered cories because these guys are big, but they’re BEAUTIFUL! I don’t regret the purchase at all, just want some clarification from you experts on here!

Attachments

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
They do look like salt and pepper corydoras, but they seem decently large. That being said, I've seen salt and pepper corydoras that grow fairly large in size. I can't think of anything else that they can be. Maybe someone else knows?

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, you have C.paleatus aka peppered corys

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Gel0city said:
They do look like salt and pepper corydoras, but they seem decently large. That being said, I've seen salt and pepper corydoras that grow fairly large in size. I can't think of anything else that they can be. Maybe someone else knows?
You mean C. habrosus and they stay at about half the size of C. paleatus. I have two 3.5cm-monster-habrosus in my tank, but I also know, paleatus easily get to 6cm.

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
MacZ said:
You mean C. habrosus and they stay at about half the size of C. paleatus. I have two 3.5cm-monster-habrosus in my tank, but I also know, paleatus easily get to 6cm.
In the US c.paleatus is called both the peppered and the salt and pepper cory, depending on where you live :) Probably why confusion occured.

Falena

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree with the others, they are corydoras paleatus! Or peppered cory
They're a wonderful fish, I've kept them before and love them :)

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
FinalFins said:
Ye I don't know why they share the same name but over in my area they call them peppered I think but in some other areas of the us they are called salt and pepper.
I've always known them as salt and pepper corydoras, LOL. I guess most people understand them as pepper corydoras.

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FinalFins said:
In the US c.paleatus is called both the peppered and the salt and pepper cory, depending on where you live :) Probably why confusion occured.
That does not make sense and doesn't fit my experiences. Only that both species get confused because both common names include "pepper".

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
MacZ said:
That does not make sense and doesn't fit my experiences. Only that both species get confused because both common names include "pepper".
I have no clue why they share the same name in different parts of the us but once a nickname sticks you can't do anything about it.

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
FinalFins said:
Ye I don't know why they share the same name but over in my area they call them peppered I think but in some other areas of the us they are called salt and pepper.
Thanks! I know them differently since I don't have a lfs or something and rely on google lol.

OP
jiorio1216

jiorio1216

Reaction score
michaelsf90 said:
Definitely peppered Cory's. How many did you buy?
I got 6 of them. They are absolutely awesome!!! Never even heard of them before my visit today. I originally went to get panda cories but they didn’t have any, but I drove an hour and wanted to get something. Should I get more peppered cories? I still need to get atleast 3 more pandas to make them 6.

michaelsf90

Reaction score
I only have four. I need to get another two to make it six. The thing is people say these minimum numbers but schooling fish don't school unless they feel threatened. Them happily going about their own thing proves they're happy. You'll be fine with six. I personally would have stuck with one type but if you have room for six peppered and six panda then itll be fine. Corey's are very underrated. They do a lot of work and are amazing to watch. Do you have a sand substrate?

OP
jiorio1216

jiorio1216

Reaction score
michaelsf90 said:
I only have four. I need to get another two to make it six. The thing is people say these minimum numbers but schooling fish don't school unless they feel threatened. Them happily going about their own thing proves they're happy. You'll be fine with six. I personally would have stuck with one type but if you have room for six peppered and six panda then itll be fine. Corey's are very underrated. They do a lot of work and are amazing to watch. Do you have a sand substrate?
I have sand! I set up my 55 with sand solely for cories. And I agree, I would’ve liked to keep it to just one specie, but I have a 55 and two schools of 6 will be perfect for me. Bottom level looks great already. Now just have to focus on middle and upper. Do you guys suggest one big school, say 20 of one fish, or do you prefer two schools of 12? Would love to hear what u guys prefer

Attachments

michaelsf90

Reaction score
Its entirely up to you. I'd guess most people want variety. Depending on your temperature their are lots of tetra to choose from and danios. I would advice against barbs with Corey's. I got some Odessa barbs and they relentlessly chased the Cory's so I took them back. That was my experience with them anyway. I have danios in with mine and otos. Otos are amazing to watch and they cleanup algae. They literally dont stop. Once the danios pass il be trying two different schools of tetras. Green neons look good. Xray tetras. Glowlights. So many to choose from

New Threads