What Kind Of Cichlid?

1. Darenda Member Member

_20171003_211440.JPG I bought this today. No idea if it's male or female....or if it's the zebra convict or firemouth. They wasnt for sure so i got it for $2. Can yall help? It's my first. Also.....how are they supposed to act. Its just laying there. Maybe stressed?

2. Darenda Member Member

Heres a better picture. That first one looks dark.
    _20171003_213218.JPG _20171003_213314.JPG

3. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

Flowerhorn or maybe even Texas Cichlid?

4. Darenda Member Member

I thought the flowerhorn have super large foreheads? I keep trying to compare pictures. I think it's a firemouth cause of the reddness underneath but i could be wrong.

5. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

Flowerhorns develop the "hump" as they mature. Your fish is a juvenile. The pattern/color isn't right for a Firemouth.

6. fishychachki Member Member

Yeah that can't be a convict and I don't think it's a firemouth either. The pattern is highly reminiscent of flowerhorns and the juveniles don't develop much of a hump at first.

7. Darenda Member Member

Juvenile? Really??? He was the largest in the tank! How bog do they get?

8. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

They can get up to around 14 inches.

9. shiv234 Well Known Member Member

let me guess...you have it in a 10 gallon right? they need over 90 gallons to live a happy life. The minimum is 75 gallons but that is really small for a 12+ inch fish. I got one and he is in a 180 gallon tank and is about 13 inches now. I am scared to put my hand in there to measure him so i average

10. Atomicfish Member Member

Yep it’s not a fire mouth I used to have firemouths a long time ago firemouths are usally kinda a purple bluish color.

11. Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

looks like a young festae, (red terror). Or a flowerhorn. Either way, get yourself a giant tank. Either one will make fish soup out of tankmates

12. Darenda Member Member

_20171004_202100.JPG I got it this food and he still not eating. They are mini pellets, so how many should he be eating?

13. chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

It is a juvenile Flowerhorn. Festae don't have the Trimac forehead ocellus. It will get over a foot long, probably more.

It may need more than a couple of days to settle into the tank, and will start eating when it feels comfortable.

14. shiv234 Well Known Member Member

i strongly urge you to re-home it unless you got a few hundred dollars to spare on tank and filter and stuff

15. Darenda Member Member

Im looking for it a home. I dont want to take it back to the store cause of the poor conditions.

16. shiv234 Well Known Member Member

cool. I got one like yours then the one as my profile pic.
    He was sleeping so i didn't get a good pic. Basically he was the same as yours. He is the runt of the litter so i got him for 30 dollars but my nice one was $3000

Attached Files:

17. Darenda Member Member

Do you know why he still hasnt eaten?

18. KaderTheAnt Well Known Member Member

It may take a while for the fish to get fully settled in.

19. shiv234 Well Known Member Member

may be just getting used to the surrounding but then again mine acted as if he was with me his whole life and ate 2 mins after i put him in my tank

20. Kapitalfisht Member Member

This reminds me of a guy who attached a broomstick to his aquarium siphon so he could clean his cichlid's tank. The broomstick, which was wooden, had bite marks in it. :blackeye: