What kind of cichlid?

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by MatthewM, Jul 21, 2015.

1. MatthewM

MatthewM Valued Member Member

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437509163.173055.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437509195.220329.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437509228.303109.jpg
    My girlfriends tank has 2 green terrors and an orange parrotfish. And this "assorted african cichlid" anyone know what it is?

2. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

I'd guess it's a mbuna hybrid.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. mommy1

mommy1 New Member Member

Agreed, looks like it might have some yellow lab in it.

4. T

The Red Severum Valued Member Member

Once that "assorted African Cichlid" grows up, he will beat up the other fish in the tank. It does look like a hybrid to me also.

5. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

You sure? The parrotfish seems to be the aggressor in this tank... But unless they don't enter each others logs it's all good.

6. LeoDiaz

LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

Yes africans can beat up way bigger fish then them. I also agree is a hybrid.

7. BDpups

I agree with The Red Sev. It could go crazy at some point. African hybrids often do.

What size tank is it in? Mixing any African cichlid with non African cichlid can be risky and is not advised.

There is a pleco in there too?

8. OP
    OP
    MatthewM

It is a 55 i believe, not sure as its not my tank...

9. LeoDiaz

LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

Well that tank is 2 smalle to have 2 green terrors in there.

10. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

The fish in the first post is a fairly pure female of Pseudotropheus johanni, the real thing as opposed to the "Electric Blue Johanni" which are a hybrid with related species. The shadow of a stripe down the side is the giveaway. You don't really see the true johanni that often any more. They can be fairly aggressive.

Comments above on the rest of the tank are pretty much correct, it is a bad combination overall.

11. BDpups

The color seems off to me to call it true Pseudotropheus Johanni. The strip would suggest that, but I'm still not convinced it's not a hybrid.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice