What kind of cichlid?

MatthewM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437509163.173055.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437509195.220329.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437509228.303109.jpg
My girlfriends tank has 2 green terrors and an orange parrotfish. And this "assorted african cichlid" anyone know what it is?

BDpups

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd guess it's a mbuna hybrid.

mommy1

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Agreed, looks like it might have some yellow lab in it.

The Red Severum

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Once that "assorted African Cichlid" grows up, he will beat up the other fish in the tank. It does look like a hybrid to me also.

MatthewM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The Red Severum said:
Once that "assorted African Cichlid" grows up, he will beat up the other fish in the tank. It does look like a hybrid to me also.
You sure? The parrotfish seems to be the aggressor in this tank... But unless they don't enter each others logs it's all good.

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
MatthewM said:
You sure? The parrotfish seems to be the aggressor in this tank... But unless they don't enter each others logs it's all good.
Yes africans can beat up way bigger fish then them. I also agree is a hybrid.

BDpups

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with The Red Sev. It could go crazy at some point. African hybrids often do.

What size tank is it in? Mixing any African cichlid with non African cichlid can be risky and is not advised.

There is a pleco in there too?

MatthewM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BDpups said:
I agree with The Red Sev. It could go crazy at some point. African hybrids often do.

What size tank is it in? Mixing any African cichlid with non African cichlid can be risky and is not advised.

There is a pleco in there too?
It is a 55 i believe, not sure as its not my tank...

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
MatthewM said:
It is a 55 i believe, not sure as its not my tank...
Well that tank is 2 smalle to have 2 green terrors in there.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The fish in the first post is a fairly pure female of Pseudotropheus johanni, the real thing as opposed to the "Electric Blue Johanni" which are a hybrid with related species. The shadow of a stripe down the side is the giveaway. You don't really see the true johanni that often any more. They can be fairly aggressive.

Comments above on the rest of the tank are pretty much correct, it is a bad combination overall.

BDpups

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
chromedome52 said:
The fish in the first post is a fairly pure female of Pseudotropheus johanni, the real thing as opposed to the "Electric Blue Johanni" which are a hybrid with related species. The shadow of a stripe down the side is the giveaway. You don't really see the true johanni that often any more.
The color seems off to me to call it true Pseudotropheus Johanni. The strip would suggest that, but I'm still not convinced it's not a hybrid.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads