What Kind Of Betta Is This

Lissi Kat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hey maybe someone who knows more about bettas could tell me what kind this is. I feel his fins aren't spiked enough for him to be a crown tail.
Here's some pics anyway any additional info would be great!
20180425_153637.jpg
20180425_153323.jpg
20180425_153331.jpg
20180425_153323.jpg

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Multi Vt. His fins may be ripped as stated above, but if they've always been like this and never got any better or worse it isn't unlikely he just caries some CT genes in him.

Lissi Kat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I got him like that about 6 and a half months ago from a chain petstore I spotted him while they were having a sale on equipment and felt sorry for him. The initial month or so I had him some rips did seem to seal a little but since then nothing's changed about them and he's never given me any reason to worry about his health and seems to be a happy,very personable fish.He never matched any diagrams I see so hence my curiosity especially as he's healthy I didn't even think his fins would be ripped I thought if they were they would have grown back to normal by now but they're just as is.is there anything else extra I could do to see if they'll heal anymore?

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Lissi Kat said:
I got him like that about 6 and a half months ago from a chain petstore I spotted him while they were having a sale on equipment and felt sorry for him. The initial month or so I had him some rips did seem to seal a little but since then nothing's changed about them and he's never given me any reason to worry about his health and seems to be a happy,very personable fish.He never matched any diagrams I see so hence my curiosity especially as he's healthy I didn't even think his fins would be ripped I thought if they were they would have grown back to normal by now but they're just as is.is there anything else extra I could do to see if they'll heal anymore?
Clean water, no sharp objects on tank and Indian Almond Leafs. My veiltail took 5months to regrow his fins....

BobNJerry

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i see you have a lot of live plants but is it possible that something is cutting his fins? maybe gravel's too sharp or there is a rock with sharp edge.

i can tell you take really good care of him- he's a good looking fish despite his fin issue.

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
BobNJerry said:
i see you have a lot of live plants but is it possible that something is cutting his fins? maybe gravel's too sharp or there is a rock with sharp edge.

i can tell you take really good care of him- he's a good looking fish despite his fin issue.
There is a piece of wood i see in there too that could have done some damage.

Lissi Kat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
CanadianFishFan said:
Clean water, no sharp objects on tank and Indian Almond Leafs. My veiltail took 5months to regrow his fins....
That's the same as cappata leaves yes? I'll give those a try so! There's nothing in there that he could snag himself on as far as I can tell and he gets either 1 5gallon water change or 2 2.5gal a week and the highest I've ever seen nitrate is 15ppm.

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Lissi Kat said:
That's the same as cappata leaves yes? I'll give those a try so! There's nothing in there that he could snag himself on as far as I can tell and he gets either 1 5gallon water change or 2 2.5gal a week and the highest I've ever seen nitrate is 15ppm.
Yep! Just add some leafs to help.

Lissi Kat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
BobNJerry said:

Awe thanks I try my best! Haha I'm a sucker for plants I grow emersed dracanea and pothos out of that tank too i love the look and what it does for nitrates! And i think the fish feel more comfotrable too!i have monstera and peace Lilly in my other tank too it's a great way of propagating cuttings!
Theres a wine wood branch in there but all of the branches are either above the water line or burried in the sand and it has a smooth surface most of which is covered in a thick layer of moss so I doubt it's that I just rubber over the stone with a piece of nylon stocking too to see if it would snag or rip and it didnt. The sand is jbl sansibar so it's about as fine as it gets. I havnt noticed any new tearing or rips since I've had him so maybe he got damaged and just won't heal back fully or maybe he's just a genetic weirdo!
Here's some pics to show what I mean about the wood
20180425_165529.jpg
20180425_165646.jpg

CanadianFishFan said:
Yep! Just add some leafs to help.
Perfect! Thanks a million

Lissi Kat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
CanadianFishFan said:
There is a piece of wood i see in there too that could have done some damage.
I've checked to see if anything in there would snag him and I really can't find anything that would the wood is smooth has lots of moss on it and the pointy bits are either above the water or in the sand or pressed up against the glass.I'd be more concerned if I saw new damage on him but in the 6 or 7 months I've had him his fins only healed a tiny bit in the first few weeks and havnt changed since hence why it didn't even occur to me that they were rips as opposed to just a mutation that didnt wuite make it all the way to CT

Lissi Kat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
AquaticJ said:
What kind of filter do you have? If it’s a classic HOB filter he’s probably getting his fins sucked into the intake.
I have an internal jbl i30 and a betta 300 internal. I usually have extra filters so that I'll have cycled spares if needed

Lissi Kat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
AquaticJ said:
My guess is he's swimming next to the filter and his fins are getting sucked in. Anyway, if that's not it, Seachem stress guard works like magic for healing fins.
I'll definatly keep an eye on that! It's pretty dense with plants around the filters but you never know! I'll definatly give that a try I love all of their products I've used so far so any excuse to try a new one

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Me and you both, I love Seachem, always steer me in the right direction. My betta had been getting his fins sucked in and I covered it with a sponge. Their fins are like paper.

Lissi Kat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
AquaticJ said:
Me and you both, I love Seachem, always steer me in the right direction. My betta had been getting his fins sucked in and I covered it with a sponge. Their fins are like paper.
They're great value for money too you get some serious mileage of of them. I wouldn't even know how I'd cover them in sponge it looks like this

Attachments

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom