What kind of backgrounds do you use? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by FLGirl, Apr 16, 2010.

1. FLGirlWell Known MemberMember

Hi, I have one taped to the back of my tank. It came with the tank. It has plants and nice enough but I want to get a dif one. I thought about maybe just plain black? but then though it may make the tank look too dark. At my LFS they have a bunch of diff ones. From very busy to very basic. What do you guys think make the best aquarium backgrounds? Do you even use them?

2. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

people here use everything from storebought backgrounds to wrapping paper to black paint. The black backgrounds look great, especially with brightly colored fish. It seems that many people paint the black onto the outside of the tank.

I don't have a background personally. My tank sits on a counter between my kitchen and living room.

3. LucyModeratorModerator Member

I use colored poster board on several tanks. I'm a big fan of the dark blue. :)

4. leeishomValued MemberMember

Also love the all black color.

5. ppate1977Well Known MemberMember

I use all black. It looks great and gives the tank a perception of more depth. It also highlites thefishies colors, not dull them.

6. LyndaBFishlore LegendMember

My husband has an acrylic tank that came with a black background. Because he started off with black skirt tetras and a flying fox, his fish blended into the background. Now, he has goldfish in there and they really pop.

I like to go for as natural looking a background as possible. If I can, I like to pick up the same color stones or foliage in the background as I have in the tank for decor.

One thing I, personally, will never do is to just have no background and a bunch of wires hanging down. Tacky, tacky, tacky. :nono:

7. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

It's possible to do that discretely, with the intake and the outtake, wires, etc. on the side. It looked bad when we had the HOB, but once we got the canister instead, it looks nice. And without the background, we are able to enjoy it from the living room or the kitchen.

8. FLGirlWell Known MemberMember

Thanks for sharing! Im really considering black but they also had one with like streaks of different blues and some purple with bubbles. It was very watery but I'm still thinking I'll keep looking but black seems to be a good bet... :D You know what it prob won't be exact but Im going to dig up some construction or color paper (iv got tons of art stuff) and look at the diff colors...it might give me some idea color wise :;f I thought about just no back sense mines by the wall and I want to have a wall of plants in the back but I don't know if that will work anyways so I will prob get a back too. ;D

9. LyndaBFishlore LegendMember

Yeah, I think your situation was unique in that you had the tank set up to view from both rooms. I'll let my rule slide in your case. :whistling:

10. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

;D Thank you!

Another think some people have mentioned is velcro and black fabric on the outside of the tank. That way it is easy to remove and wash if it gets wet.

11. FLGirlWell Known MemberMember

Hey yall, I ended up getting my background today. Its the wavy colored ones with blues and greens etc. the other side is a simple blueish greenish fade. Both are really pretty and I will have to pick which one I like most. Thanks for the opinions!

12. leeishomValued MemberMember

Yes, avoiding 'tacky' is the main concern.
    Any thing to enhance the whole perception of the tank and fishes.

13. FLGirlWell Known MemberMember

I don't think mines tacky and my mom didn't like black either.

14. Mike4x4New MemberMember

Fish tank backgrounds

Hi guys,

I have been trying to find some good unique backgrounds for my new 4FT fish tank. I have tried ebay but they dont seem to have much, can someone please point me to a site where i have a few selections to choose from?

15. Karl RValued MemberMember

My background starts out light blue and fades to darker blue at the bottom. I got it at petsmart (before I decided never to go back) it was $1.85 per foot. It has no bubbles or anything. They also sell a mounting solution for about $3.50 which is not supposed to be permenant. I can't vouch for that claim as I have not tried to remove the background.

16. NutterFishlore VIPMember

Welcome to Fishlore Mike. :;hi2

I don't know any sites to find unique backgrounds but if you have a look through the DIY section of the forum you will find plenty of threads about background options. Everything from store bought printed backings, through to tank painting & even custom made 3d backgrounds. The DIY section is in the GENERAL DISCUSSION section of the forum on the main page.

17. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

As Nutter stated, do a Fish Lore Search for backgrounds. I've seen mention of wrapping paper, poster board, paint, 3D home made, glitter, any type of cloth material.
    Personally I use just the plain black background I bought at the fish store.
    So many options.

Ken

18. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hello,

:animal0068:I have merged Mike4x4 thread with this one since both are dealing with backgrounds for tanks.

I don't see a need to have 2 active threads on the exact same subject.
    Thanks!
    Ken

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  19. ZenialValued MemberMember

Personally, I really like the black backgrounds and will do it myself... one day - it really makes your fish and plants stand out!

Have a look at some great examples! Be inspired! :)
    https://www.fishlore.com/pastphotowinners.htm

20. JrobberWell Known MemberMember

I use a picture background with rocks and lots of plants. I think it adds a little bit on depth to the back of the tank.

I've been told that soaking the background in soapy water and then sticking it to the back on the aquarium will make it stick, but I haven't tried that so far.