Help What Kind Of Aquarium Heater To Use With A Temperature Controller?

RamonM

Reaction score
Aloha,

I have an inkbird temperature controller connected to fans and an aquarium heater to keep the temperature in my 55 gallon aquarium stable.

However, the heater, an aqueon adjustable pro, is not turning on (connected or not to the controller). I set it to maximum temperature (84°F) so it thinks the water is always cold and thus let the controller take over.

Am I correct to set it this way?

Is a heater without its own thermostat preferable?

Could the controller have damaged the heater?

If I have to buy a new one, which do you recommend for this setup?

Thanks!

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Call or email Aqueon .
If the heater does not work alone it has failed .
The pros are lifetime guaranteed.
They will send you a replacement I will bet ..

JayH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I can't speak to this with any certainty, but I've wondered if some of the more advanced digital heaters might have a problem with the power on/off cycle of the separate controller. You'd think they wouldn't design an aquarium heater to reset to a default setting when the power goes off, but who knows? I bought a pair of really cheap heaters to go with my Inkbird but I've not put it into service yet.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had a metal one that didn't have its own thermostat. It was to be used with a controller. I don't know the brand anymore but I know they make them.

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Let us know how it turns out.

I've been looking at those Inkbird's and considering buying 2.

Which model do you have?

ForceTen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If your heater has a control knob or other control function you must turn it all the way up for the controller to do its job. On/Off as needed.

I would look into a heater that is designed for this application. Until then I would use the heater control knob. Measure the tank temp and make sure it turns on when its supposed to.
I have one that has a little recovery time it seems as it turns on every time it looses power. Then goes off after a few minutes.

RamonM

Reaction score
Let us know how it turns out.

I've been looking at those Inkbird's and considering buying 2.

Which model do you have?
I got the Inkbird WiFi ITC-308 Digital Temperature Controller. Being able to control it with an app makes it easy to program. Still I had to read and watch a video (in Spanish) to figure it out. This model also controls cooling. In my case fans (they haven’t had to deal with great heat yet, so I don’t know how well do the fans work).

The probe is metal, which should be ok in a freshwater tank. Some people cover them with silicone.

The company sells a model with a probe covered in plastic for aquariums, but it is not programable with an app.

All the controllers have to be calibrated with a thermometer. In my case the offset was 4°F!

33d30c0d3e437d95e09ebb15eabfaa13.jpg

bfaaa7a0bc66ba824e2071b461d972de.jpg

d22eea0a3b3d5b6dfc592ecfb9786035.jpg

Given all the bad reviews that all heaters have, in which they go haywire and cook the aquarium, I think that a temperature controller gives great peace of mind.

RamonM

Reaction score
If your heater has a control knob or other control function you must turn it all the way up for the controller to do its job. On/Off as needed.

I would look into a heater that is designed for this application. Until then I would use the heater control knob. Measure the tank temp and make sure it turns on when its supposed to.
I have one that has a little recovery time it seems as it turns on every time it looses power. Then goes off after a few minutes.
I haven’t found a heater that is designed for this application. I’ve looked and looked.

JayH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I haven’t found a heater that is designed for this application. I’ve looked and looked.
Finnex makes one. Hygger also has several models that are external controllers with titanium tube heaters. I've not seen them sold as pieces, but it seems reasonable to assume they'd sell replacement heaters. If they don't, then you'd end up buying another controller, which obviously defeats the purpose. With the Finnex one, it's rather pricey, so I'm not sure that makes a lot of economic sense.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom