What kind of algae is this

Fisharewet

What kind of algae is this and how do I get rid of it? I've tried not running the lights as much and feeding less, I'm ready to try chemicals.

Attachments

• 20220526_211330.jpg
    20220526_211330.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 17

Silverleaf209

What are your alge eaters?

StarGirl

How long is the light on?

Save the money from buying chemicals and buy more plants.

WRWAquarium

Looks like green spot algae to me. Scrape it off the glass, could try nerite snails for the plants and decor.

Agree with above, add allot more plants. Plants should outcompete algae for nutrients in the end.

Fisharewet

How long is the light on?

Save the money from buying chemicals and buy more plants.
8 hours usually but I've had them on for 2 lately
What are your alge eaters?
I only have 1 bristlenose

Nopsu

You need atleast 6 hours for the plants to properly photosynthesis.

You can instead try to use complete blackout for 2-4 days to kill off worst of the algae (requires you to cover out the whole tank to not even let ambient light in) the do water change to remove any dead debris and floating algae cells.

This however does not remove the underlying problem which is some kind of imbalance.

Other things to do to help reduce algae:

1. Do regular maintenance, preferably once a week. Water change 20-50% and vacuum on top of plants and substrate and decor. (optional) Scrape excess algae before wc from glasses, old toothbrush on decoration and plastic card for glass
2. (optional) Add more plants, nutrients if they show deficiency symptoms. Floating plants are my favourite.
3. (optional) Add a light break in the middle 2-4 hours. Note that total lighting time should stay between 2h and 10h and the light+break should stay within 12h as fish need rest.
4. Feed fish tiny bits until they stop fetching them within few seconds instead of putting all of it at once. (make sure bottom feeders get fed tho)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ssnaaiil
Replies
Views
Mandy627
Replies
Views
kdxj5
Replies
Views