What kind of algae is this??

Marlene327

These little tufts have been growing on a decoration, now on the heater cord. It's about an inch above the heater on the cord in this picture. I don't have it in other tanks. It's hard to remove. If you know what kind, how do I get rid of it?

Attachments

• 20210913_203614.jpg
    20210913_203614.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 41

FishIord

Well you've got bba(black beard algae). I've lost a tank to this before. Sadly I dont know how to make it go away but it is most likely bba. Hope this can help.

tfreema

Black beard algae. The worst of the worst.
Some fish eat it, but have to be hungry. If well fed, they just graze. I have found adding a uv light to help. My next step is trying CO2.

ALS

The dreaded black beard algae! I have battled this stuff many times and there are two solutions, one temporary and one permanent.
The temporary fix is to remove the item that has bba and take it to your sink. Pour the hottest water you can manage on it. If the item is small enough put it in a container to stew in the hot water,, longer contact time is better. If its hot enough it should change color meaning it's died and you can scrub it off.
Now the only permanent fix might not be one people like since it changes your tank stock. I have tried tons of fish that supposedly eat this nightmare but only one does it consistently. You need 5 or 6 siamese algae eaters. It's very important before you run out and get some that you research the difference between siamese algae eaters and Chinese algae eaters/flying foxes. The latter will often be improperly sold as the former. The latter won't do what you want and will get huge. I have siamese algae eaters in both of my tanks and don't have any bba issues anymore. Sorry for the long post but this one is a doosy to deal with

StarGirl

That is Black Beard Algae (BBA). What size is your tank? I have SAE that eat it but one is about 5 inches long now. My little one still eats it heartily but the big one waits for me to feed it food. They are hit and miss but do eat it unlike other algae eaters.

tfreema

I will add that I have been able to control it with a lot of work in pulling wood and pieces I could remove, cleaning off any algae I could and spraying with peroxide and letting sit while doing water change. Careful to not spray any plants attached until ready to put back in tank. Cover them with wet paper towels while out.

Remove all parts or leaves of plants with bba on them. There is no saving it once it is covered. I have had to take my Amazon swords down to just a few leaves at times. While water level is down during water change, I spray all I can see effected without peroxide. I turn the stream up to target anything under the water level.

All this work only put a bandaid and was constant until I added the uv light. Still seeing it, but much less. About to add some Florida flag fish I have been growing out. Already have 4 panda garras in the 75g tank. Siamese algae eaters will not fit with my rainbow shark.

StarGirl

I know they say it is excess nutrients and a imbalance of some sort, I just have a big enough tank to house the SAE and they take care of it for me. Maybe GlennO or RayClem know what the water imbalance is.

ALS

I will add that I have been able to control it with a lot of work in pulling wood and pieces I could remove, cleaning off any algae I could and spraying with peroxide and letting sit while doing water change. Careful to not spray any plants attached until ready to put back in tank. Cover them with wet paper towels while out.

Remove all parts or leaves of plants with bba on them. There is no saving it once it is covered. I have had to take my Amazon swords down to just a few leaves at times. While water level is down during water change, I spray all I can see effected without peroxide. I turn the stream up to target anything under the water level.

All this work only put a bandaid and was constant until I added the uv light. Still seeing it, but much less. About to add some Florida flag fish I have been growing out. Already have 4 panda garras in the 75g tank. Siamese algae eaters will not fit with my rainbow shark.
I really wish those rainbow sharks were kinder to tank mates. The one I had was so stinking pretty but was the single meanest fish I've had

mattgirl

I fought this stuff for what seemed like forever. I did the peroxide and the peroxide/excel treatment. It did kill off a lot of the BBA along with some of my plants but the eyesore was soon back. I was finally able to get a true Siamese algae eater and the problem was almost solved. I still see some of this stubborn stuff hanging around but have to look close to see it.

Unfortunately I only have one. I ordered 3, received 4. 2 were DOA and one other was on its way out. Only one of the 4 survived. He is about 4 inches long now and hopefully full grown. He lives in my 55 gallon tank. I would like to get a couple more because should anything happen to "Sam" I fear this stuff will explode again.

StarGirl

I have not seen a single spot of any kind of algae since I added them. My little one is a work horse for sure. I added a bunch of Rotalla from my 9g in the 55 and it was covered in algae. The Amano and small SAE were almost instantly eating the algae. They are fast little rockets though....lol

tfreema

I really wish those rainbow sharks were kinder to tank mates. The one I had was so stinking pretty but was the single meanest fish I've had
Yeah, but he is from my brother-in-law that passed away about 8 years ago. I don’t know how old he was then so he is probably about 10 years old. I will deal with him until he ages out. He is a pretty one though so that helps. I just cannot have any other fish similar to him or any catfish for that matter. He does ignore the bn plecos so that is good.

ALS

That was all mine would tolerate as well.

Marlene327

The dreaded black beard algae! I have battled this stuff many times and there are two solutions, one temporary and one permanent.
The temporary fix is to remove the item that has bba and take it to your sink. Pour the hottest water you can manage on it. If the item is small enough put it in a container to stew in the hot water,, longer contact time is better. If its hot enough it should change color meaning it's died and you can scrub it off.
Now the only permanent fix might not be one people like since it changes your tank stock. I have tried tons of fish that supposedly eat this nightmare but only one does it consistently. You need 5 or 6 siamese algae eaters. It's very important before you run out and get some that you research the difference between siamese algae eaters and Chinese algae eaters/flying foxes. The latter will often be improperly sold as the former. The latter won't do what you want and will get huge. I have siamese algae eaters in both of my tanks and don't have any bba issues anymore. Sorry for the long post but this one is a doosy to deal with
Ugh, I was SO afraid of this answer. And I did have Siamese algae eaters once, split 6 between 3 tanks. But they were so aggressive at feeding time, the others had trouble getting anything... and they GREW! I took them back to a store, very sadly. I honestly never once saw any of them actually eating algae. :(

At this point I'm so discouraged by this tank and issues that have been going on, I'm thinking of putting the fish into my larger tank and absolutely cleaning this out and starting again. I have a fancy guppy I think has a parasite and wish I could save her, but might have to get a hospital tank out for her so she doesn't spread it elsewhere. Waiting to hear from emeraldking on that issue.

Does lighting cause this, or a variety of things? I have a light I never learned to program correctly, and I think the morning and evening lights are on too long. I turn it on later in the morning manually to miss some of that red, and turn it off earlier at night to miss some of the blue. Ugh, I'm such a rookie and dumb as a rock when it comes to programming these new lights. I'm in my 60's and technology has passed me by. I could probably get one of my grandchildren to figure it out faster than I ever could.

Would this tank have to be cleaned out with a bleach solution? What about the filters? Are they able to be used again, to get a cycle going, or are they going to spread it? I have an AC50 and a sponge filter in there, it's a 20 gallon.

Thank you for the answer; as you can tell, I don't mind long ones at all, I do it all the time.
That is Black Beard Algae (BBA). What size is your tank? I have SAE that eat it but one is about 5 inches long now. My little one still eats it heartily but the big one waits for me to feed it food. They are hit and miss but do eat it unlike other algae eaters.
This is a 20 gallon, and I used to have SAE but they grew too large and too aggressive, I took them to the store.

I think I'm 90% sure I'm going to tear this tank down and rebuild. I have 7 ambers, 2 guppies and 7 corys in there I can move to another tank.

Are my 2 filters usable or would they spread it? There's an AC50 and a sponge filter. I'd sure hate to lose the bacteria in them to jump start another tank, but do have other spare sponge filters running I could move.

This isn't the answer I wanted at all but it was my fear. Guess I have a project ahead of me.

Would it take a bleach water solution to clean the empty tank out? I don't think vinegar would do it.

Thanks for your answers!
I fought this stuff for what seemed like forever. I did the peroxide and the peroxide/excel treatment. It did kill off a lot of the BBA along with some of my plants but the eyesore was soon back. I was finally able to get a true Siamese algae eater and the problem was almost solved. I still see some of this stubborn stuff hanging around but have to look close to see it.

Unfortunately I only have one. I ordered 3, received 4. 2 were DOA and one other was on its way out. Only one of the 4 survived. He is about 4 inches long now and hopefully full grown. He lives in my 55 gallon tank. I would like to get a couple more because should anything happen to "Sam" I fear this stuff will explode again.
This is only a 20 gallon and I had 2 SAEs in there once, they were insane as they grew. Never saw them eat algae, only grabbed fish food faster than the other fish could! Had to take them to a store. Regretting now not keeping just one but who knew??

ALS

From my experience it's nearly impossible to get this stuff out of the filters short of braking them all the way down and letting them sit clean and dry for a few months. Bba is a voracious little turd who's toughness is unrivaled in the realm of algae and it only takes one microscopic bit for it to start all over again. If someone has a chemical solution that actually works I would love to hear it cuz this stuff blows lol
Ugh, I was SO afraid of this answer. And I did have Siamese algae eaters once, split 6 between 3 tanks. But they were so aggressive at feeding time, the others had trouble getting anything... and they GREW! I took them back to a store, very sadly. I honestly never once saw any of them actually eating algae. :(

At this point I'm so discouraged by this tank and issues that have been going on, I'm thinking of putting the fish into my larger tank and absolutely cleaning this out and starting again. I have a fancy guppy I think has a parasite and wish I could save her, but might have to get a hospital tank out for her so she doesn't spread it elsewhere. Waiting to hear from emeraldking on that issue.

Does lighting cause this, or a variety of things? I have a light I never learned to program correctly, and I think the morning and evening lights are on too long. I turn it on later in the morning manually to miss some of that red, and turn it off earlier at night to miss some of the blue. Ugh, I'm such a rookie and dumb as a rock when it comes to programming these new lights. I'm in my 60's and technology has passed me by. I could probably get one of my grandchildren to figure it out faster than I ever could.

Would this tank have to be cleaned out with a bleach solution? What about the filters? Are they able to be used again, to get a cycle going, or are they going to spread it? I have an AC50 and a sponge filter in there, it's a 20 gallon.

Thank you for the answer; as you can tell, I don't mind long ones at all, I do it all the time.

This is a 20 gallon, and I used to have SAE but they grew too large and too aggressive, I took them to the store.

I think I'm 90% sure I'm going to tear this tank down and rebuild. I have 7 ambers, 2 guppies and 7 corys in there I can move to another tank.

Are my 2 filters usable or would they spread it? There's an AC50 and a sponge filter. I'd sure hate to lose the bacteria in them to jump start another tank, but do have other spare sponge filters running I could move.

This isn't the answer I wanted at all but it was my fear. Guess I have a project ahead of me.

Would it take a bleach water solution to clean the empty tank out? I don't think vinegar would do it.

Thanks for your answers!

This is only a 20 gallon and I had 2 SAEs in there once, they were insane as they grew. Never saw them eat algae, only grabbed fish food faster than the other fish could! Had to take them to a store. Regretting now not keeping just one but who knew??
Are you sure they were siamese algae eaters? The Chinese ones get super huge and are crazy strong eaters and look very similar with some crucial differences. True siamese algae eaters only get to about 4 or 5 inches at full grown. These are about 3 to 4 years old

Attachments

• 16319797436571954205244323049228.jpg
    16319797436571954205244323049228.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 15

mattgirl

Never saw them eat algae, only grabbed fish food faster than the other fish could! Had to take them to a store. Regretting now not keeping just one but who knew??
Unfortunately I don't think you had true Siamese algae eaters although they may have been sold as such. There are some lookalikes. A true SAE will eat algae and have proven to me that they devour black beard algae. My 55 gallon tank was covered in this stuff. This one fish took care of the problem. He was only 3/4 inch long when I got him. He immediately went to work on this stuff. He grew quickly because he had so much food.

A true SAE will not have a sucker type mouth. They will have a black stripe going from the tip of their nose all the way down the body and through the tail fin. They won't have any color on any of their fins. If you see color on the tip of the dorsel fin it isn't a true SAE but may be sold as such. The photo ALS posted shows exactly what they look like.

ALS

When I went to buy mine the guy at the lfs tried to give me a Chinese algae eaters. Even he didn't realize he had it wrong as the fry look remarkably similar. Marlenes description is spot on. The side stripe is the best indicator

Marlene327

1. If I strip this tank down, will bleach kill it?

2. If I find 1 or 2 true SAEs, and get rid of the decorations with it on, it sounds like they'd clean it up. But then it will still be in my filters? No wonder there's no getting rid of it.

mattgirl

1. If I strip this tank down, will bleach kill it?
Probably. Of course you will have to start with all new media and cycle the tank again because the bleach will also kill all your bacteria. .
2. If I find 1 or 2 true SAEs, and get rid of the decorations with it on, it sounds like they'd clean it up. But then it will still be in my filters? No wonder there's no getting rid of it.
I didn't remove any of my decor. Sam cleaned all of it. I know there is a possibility of the BBA coming back should anything happen to Sam but that is a chance I am willing to take since I don't want to sterilize my tank and filter media to get rid of it. Should I lose him I will replace him. Hopefully that won't happen any time soon.

Marlene327

Probably. Of course you will have to start with all new media and cycle the tank again because the bleach will also kill all your bacteria. .

I didn't remove any of my decor. Sam cleaned all of it. I know there is a possibility of the BBA coming back should anything happen to Sam but that is a chance I am willing to take since I don't want to sterilize my tank and filter media to get rid of it. Should I lose him I will replace him. Hopefully that won't happen any time soon.
You and Sam are what's giving me any hope right now, because I am feeling sick to my stomach and hopeless.

What causes this? I had a knee replacement 3 months ago and have had complications. For the first 6 weeks I couldn't do much at all and my husband did just the most basic of care to my 4 tanks. Very minimal WC each week, meaning 1 bucket out and in. I had them cleaned perfectly, the filters cleaned perfectly, all before I went in the hospital. Maybe lights weren't being turned on and off regularly every day. I really missed the beginning of all this. I saw the first tuft of it growing but tried to wipe it off and gave up too fast. I've had terrible pain and have been on so much medication, things didn't matter for awhile. Had another knee procedure 3 weeks ago and am finally feeling human again! Now BBA has welcomed me back. LOL

I'll look online for a couple SAE. Usually have to buy a group... don't want a group! I'd put 2 into this tank til it's clean, then move one to my 40.

Thank you for your help!

ALS

I've seen success with 2 sae to a 55 gallon so that is the ratio I would aim for. If I remember correctly bba usually comes in on plants but I'm not 100% on it. Your better off going to a lfs for sae that way you can verify you are getting what you need rather than ending up with more flying foxes.

mattgirl

You and Sam are what's giving me any hope right now, because I am feeling sick to my stomach and hopeless.

What causes this? I had a knee replacement 3 months ago and have had complications. For the first 6 weeks I couldn't do much at all and my husband did just the most basic of care to my 4 tanks. Very minimal WC each week, meaning 1 bucket out and in. I had them cleaned perfectly, the filters cleaned perfectly, all before I went in the hospital. Maybe lights weren't being turned on and off regularly every day. I really missed the beginning of all this. I saw the first tuft of it growing but tried to wipe it off and gave up too fast. I've had terrible pain and have been on so much medication, things didn't matter for awhile. Had another knee procedure 3 weeks ago and am finally feeling human again! Now BBA has welcomed me back. LOL

I'll look online for a couple SAE. Usually have to buy a group... don't want a group! I'd put 2 into this tank til it's clean, then move one to my 40.

Thank you for your help!
You are so very welcome. There really is a light at the end of this tunnel and that light is a Siamese Algae eater or two. They do love this stuff.

I got mine from a seller on ebay but see they no longer have any in stock. It looks like Aqua Huna has them in stock right now but unfortunately they just sell in packs of 8.

I am sorry to hear you have had to go through so much. I do hope it will soon be behind you. I don't think it was lack of care that caused it. In my case I feel sure it came in on a plant. I was doing my weekly water changes so know it wasn't lack of care. It is just some very tough stuff that is difficult to get rid of once it takes hold.

StarGirl

You are so very welcome. There really is a light at the end of this tunnel and that light is a Siamese Algae eater or two. They do love this stuff.

I got mine from a seller on ebay but see they no longer have any in stock. It looks like Aqua Huna has them in stock right now but unfortunately they just sell in packs of 8.

I am sorry to hear you have had to go through so much. I do hope it will soon be behind you. I don't think it was lack of care that caused it. In my case I feel sure it came in on a plant. I was doing my weekly water changes so know it wasn't lack of care. It is just some very tough stuff that is difficult to get rid of once it takes hold.
My lfs ordered mine for me. They usually dont keep them in stock.

mattgirl

My lfs ordered mine for me. They usually dont keep them in stock.
Unfortunately mine told me he couldn't get them. :( I was forced to order online.

jmaldo

Late to the discussion, but as mentioned BBA does not like peroxide and excel. I have removed all decor and sprayed with both. Still have some.
Young SAE will eat it, but as they grow they decide the fish food is easier.
I have gone back and forth with giving UV a shot may just try it.
Take a look here "Highly" recommend
True Siamese Algae Eater Flying Fox
Good Luck!

Marlene327

Late to the discussion, but as mentioned BBA does not like peroxide and excel. I have removed all decor and sprayed with both. Still have some.
Young SAE will eat it, but as they grow they decide the fish food is easier.
I have gone back and forth with giving UV a shot may just try it.
Take a look here "Highly" recommend
True Siamese Algae Eater Flying Fox
Good Luck!
You're never too late for this discussion. I haven't done anything yet but wrote to a great fish store an hour away to see if they'd ship some SAE out. AND asked if there were any other ideas to kill the monster BBA. When I can get to the tank this week I may be writing privately to some people for help. I do want to hear about this peroxide and excel thing!
But... it doesn't really work? Oy, you don't know how tempted I am to chuck the whole tank and buy a nice 29 gallon to fit on that stand.

But what CAUSES it? I have other tanks without it, don't know what happened.

jmaldo

I have the same issue, I have researched but the advise is like swimming in mulm...
But most say as mentioned a deficiency of CO2 along with ferts/lights balance also read somewhere excess B12 in the water?

Here is one of the trio I have in my 55 they keep it somewhat under-control they were about 1" long when I got them. When they play tag so fast, torpedoes with jetpacks. LOL

SAE.jpg

I may get laughed at but I really do not mind a bit of it here or there, gives the tank character.

mattgirl

I may get laughed at but I really do not mind a bit of it here or there, gives the tank character
No laughter from me. For a while I still had a little bit here and there on the very edges of a couple of pieces of decor. Didn't look bad at all. In my case it doesn't have to be eradicated, just under control. It still forms on the plastic diffuser on the output on one of my filters. Strange that it isn't on both since both filters are the same but it doesn't. I just pull it off every now and then and bleach it. The bleach kills it but it comes back.
I do want to hear about this peroxide and excel thing!
I followed the one two punch to get rid of this stuff. The first punch is turning off filters but running airstones. Then pouring in a big dose of hydrogen peroxide followed by a big water change and then the second punch, an after water change dose of excel. It seemed to work. The BBA turned red indicating that it was dead.

Unfortunately it killed some of my plants and the BBA soon came back. About the third day after the treatment my hornwort disintegrated. Took me forever to clean all the needles out of the tank. I did this treatment a second time when the BBA came back. After the second time it came back stronger than ever. I knew there had to be a better easier way. That is when I started trying to get a SAE. Best decision I ever made.

As Sam is getting older he seems not to be as bold as he was. I think friends would make him happier. He is the next to the biggest fish in my tank. Elbert that handsome fellow over there in my avatar is the biggest. I do think my tank could handle a couple of friends for Sam so I am on the lookout for more. Unfortunately they may never learn to eat BBA since there is so little in my tank now. I may have to wait and see if it comes back.

Marlene327

No laughter from me. For a while I still had a little bit here and there on the very edges of a couple of pieces of decor. Didn't look bad at all. In my case it doesn't have to be eradicated, just under control. It still forms on the plastic diffuser on the output on one of my filters. Strange that it isn't on both since both filters are the same but it doesn't. I just pull it off every now and then and bleach it. The bleach kills it but it comes back.

I followed the one two punch to get rid of this stuff. The first punch is turning off filters but running airstones. Then pouring in a big dose of hydrogen peroxide followed by a big water change and then the second punch, an after water change dose of excel. It seemed to work. The BBA turned red indicating that it was dead.

Unfortunately it killed some of my plants and the BBA soon came back. About the third day after the treatment my hornwort disintegrated. Took me forever to clean all the needles out of the tank. I did this treatment a second time when the BBA came back. After the second time it came back stronger than ever. I knew there had to be a better easier way. That is when I started trying to get a SAE. Best decision I ever made.

As Sam is getting older he seems not to be as bold as he was. I think friends would make him happier. He is the next to the biggest fish in my tank. Elbert that handsome fellow over there in my avatar is the biggest. I do think my tank could handle a couple of friends for Sam so I am on the lookout for more. Unfortunately they may never learn to eat BBA since there is so little in my tank now. I may have to wait and see if it comes back.
Okay, this one-two punch - it's done in the tank itself, with fish still in the tank?

I'm going in now to do "something" to this tank. Hair algae is growing all through the water lettuce roots. I've been pulling it off for weeks but it's about as persistent as BBA. I have a female guppy who might be dropping within a week, but who knows? She seems to have a problem, guessing a parasite because her "butt" is distended and I don't know what else it could be - another female was that way first and just died, so I don't know if this one will live to deliver. So I hate to put her in any other tank. I was happy for the water lettuce to be there to have a hiding place. But ALL my plants now look terrible and I'm about to clean house and get rid of them. Honestly... I'm really leaning toward emptying this tank right now. I could put her into a QT but ugh, more work to bring that upstairs and fill it. Can't use water from this tank, will have to take from another one I have an extra sponge filter in and use that. I'd only have to fill a 10 gallon halfway for a QT really. Could use some of the other tank water and half new, like a good WC would be. All the others can go to my 40 gallon, will have to decide where to put my 7 corys, maybe in the QT? They've been untouched by whatever is happening to her.

I'd pay good money for someone to come here right now and fix me up! LOL

I wrote to a fish store an hour away to see if they'd deliver a couple SAEs to me, I can't drive that far right now. Will see if they answered me on a Sunday and make up my mind from there.

SAEs do get much larger than any small fish I have. Your profile picture, is that a bristlenose? He must be very much larger than any I've seen!

I'm SO regretting returning all mine when they got larger, and they were only about 4" at that point. 2 or 3 in a tank really carry on, they're playful enough to send all my other fish into hiding! Didn't hurt any of them, just scared my otherwise docile fishies!

I wish I had an easier decision to make, I'm terrible at decisions. At the very least, I'm getting rid of the deco with it on it, and a piece of DW I just saw with it, and all the plants that are turning funky. My 11 year old grandson went in there awhile ago and said the room stunk. He was right, the door was closed and usually isn't and ventilates more. It's that tank from hades. :( I have a clown pleco that needs wood but have another piece in there that could work for now. (The pieces with holes, about 6" long that shrimp like to climb in, forget what it's called atm.)

Do any shrimp eat this stuff? I have none in this tank, but do have amano in one tank and cherry shrimp in another.

Be back after I do a 50% WC and dump a lot of stuff and try to clean up the cord from the heater. I have other heaters but they'll just get infected anyway. I'll use peroxide in the bathroom sink to see what happens, and a magic eraser without soap.

mattgirl

Please read this before you attempt the one-two punch. I am not recommending you do the treatment. I was just sharing what I had gone through to get rid of this stuff before getting Sam. https://www.plantedtank.net/threads/the-one-two-punch-whole-tank-algae-treatment.203684/

Yes, Elbert is a bristle nose pleco. He is about 5 1/2 inches long.

Some folks have reported that amano shrimp will eat some of this stuff. I don't know since I've never had them, I do have cherry shrimp and have never had any kind of algae in their home.

The cyanobacteria (Blue Green Algae) I dealt with was the only thing that had a not so pleasant odor. Thankfully it was easy to get rid of. Maybe you need to run some carbon in your filter. It will help absorb odors but needs to be changed out at least every couple of weeks.

Marlene327

Please read this before you attempt the one-two punch. I am not recommending you do the treatment. I was just sharing what I had gone through to get rid of this stuff before getting Sam. The "One-Two Punch" Whole Tank Algae Treatment

Yes, Elbert is a bristle nose pleco. He is about 5 1/2 inches long.

Some folks have reported that amano shrimp will eat some of this stuff. I don't know since I've never had them, I do have cherry shrimp and have never had any kind of algae in their home.

The cyanobacteria (Blue Green Algae) I dealt with was the only thing that had a not so pleasant odor. Thankfully it was easy to get rid of. Maybe you need to run some carbon in your filter. It will help absorb odors but needs to be changed out at least every couple of weeks.
I'm old school and always do have carbon! If not in the bags, than it's in sheets. Back 30 years ago every little filter was stuffed full of floss and carbon. I know people do not use it generally, and I have tried different things in it and not included it before. But somehow I always go back to it.

I don't see myself doing the 1-2. I've thrown away most of my floating plants and will get rid of the rest over this week. I took the one decoration out of the bottom that had gotten covered pretty good with blackness. I was really tired today and napped, but am going to do a WC now. The store I'd emailed didn't answer about the SAEs yet, but I didn't really expect them to yet. If they can't or won't send me a couple this week, I've made my mind up to tear this down.

This 20 gallon tank was "free" through a local ad, and it's been 3 years since I started it. I hardly think the last owner had BBA and we'd had this and didn't see it for all this time. BUT... maybe anything is possible. This is a 20 gallon long and I'd like to get another tank, I think the 29 gallon would fit in that same stand. So... do you see where my mind is really heading now?? LOL All new everything inside it, reusing nothing at all from it except the light on top. Until I'm ready to do that, I'll do what maintenance is necessary to keep my fish happy and healthy. They truthfully seem oblivious to any problems in there.

I love my amano shrimp, although I've gone from 8 to 5 in my 40 gallon. I think they've died natural age-related deaths, there's no problem with that tank. But when I get this figured out, I'll be adding more to both tanks - they're super workers!

Marlene327

While doing my water change tonight, something bad occurred to me. I use the same suction hose in all my tanks, and the same 2 gallon buckets. So the chance of cross contamination with this BBA is there. I've looked and don't see it, but I sure am worried now!

I took the heater out and did my best to clean it off, and now realize just how hard that is. If just a little is left, it never ends, so now I get it.

I need to understand how this begins and will be reading all I can.

mattgirl

The siphon hose could possibly transfer some of this but I don't see it as very likely. Just rinse it off between doing tanks. In my case I can't see how it can be transferred with buckets. I have waste water buckets and fresh water buckets. Waste water never goes in my fresh water buckets. As long as it doesn't go in yours you shouldn't be cross contaminating the tanks.

Sam got a handle on mine and I think the mystery snails are lending him a helping hand. I allowed one clutch of mystery snail eggs to hatch. I now have about 40 of them that are at least half grown. I know they keep the glass spotless. The only place I see any BBA now is on the one filter diffuser. I don't know why it hangs out there but fortunately it is easy to remove, spray bleach on, rinse and replace. Strange that I have 2 identical filters and it only grows on one of them.

Marlene327

The siphon hose could possibly transfer some of this but I don't see it as very likely. Just rinse it off between doing tanks. In my case I can't see how it can be transferred with buckets. I have waste water buckets and fresh water buckets. Waste water never goes in my fresh water buckets. As long as it doesn't go in yours you shouldn't be cross contaminating the tanks.

Sam got a handle on mine and I think the mystery snails are lending him a helping hand. I allowed one clutch of mystery snail eggs to hatch. I now have about 40 of them that are at least half grown. I know they keep the glass spotless. The only place I see any BBA now is on the one filter diffuser. I don't know why it hangs out there but fortunately it is easy to remove, spray bleach on, rinse and replace. Strange that I have 2 identical filters and it only grows on one of them.
Well, this dummy does use the same buckets. Take out what I want, rinse a bit, and refill.

My guppy decided to drop some fry this morning, and I found 3 and moved them to my shrimp tank... along with a little of that tank water. I'll check later and save any others I see the same way. This breed of guppy absolutely chases and eats their babies as none of my others ever did! I'm living dangerously. :/

Have decided to empty this tank this week, and will buy a new one when I get back to work and have some extra money. I read that covering it for 3 days of darkness would kill it. I don't believe that at all, won't even try it.

mattgirl

Lack of light will kill off some types of algae. BBA is not one of them.

It is always exciting to see babies in our tank. I know it is for me. So out of all this frustration you at least have a glimmer of joy. :) Since this tank is causing so much frustration breaking it down does seem to be the best thing to do.

Personally I would just sterilize the tank instead of replacing it. I would replace every thing in it though. The same filter can be used but it too needs to be sterilized inside and out. I would use a strong bleach solution to sterilize both tank and filter. To make sure the bleach water works its way through every part of the filter run it without media on the tank filled with bleach water. The BBA should not survive doing this. A bottle of bleach will be a lot cheaper than a whole new tank but it may take more work than it is worth to you. :)

I guess if I had a pet peeve it would have to be the disposable world we live in. In most things I try to reuse or repurpose instead of replacing. I am retired though and have lots of time on my hands. Cleaning this tank is going to take time. It is also going to take energy. I feel sure you are low on that right now and a new 29 gallon tank would be nice :D

Marlene327

Lack of light will kill off some types of algae. BBA is not one of them.

It is always exciting to see babies in our tank. I know it is for me. So out of all this frustration you at least have a glimmer of joy. :) Since this tank is causing so much frustration breaking it down does seem to be the best thing to do.

Personally I would just sterilize the tank instead of replacing it. I would replace every thing in it though. The same filter can be used but it too needs to be sterilized inside and out. I would use a strong bleach solution to sterilize both tank and filter. To make sure the bleach water works its way through every part of the filter run it without media on the tank filled with bleach water. The BBA should not survive doing this. A bottle of bleach will be a lot cheaper than a whole new tank but it may take more work than it is worth to you. :)

I guess if I had a pet peeve it would have to be the disposable world we live in. In most things I try to reuse or repurpose instead of replacing. I am retired though and have lots of time on my hands. Cleaning this tank is going to take time. It is also going to take energy. I feel sure you are low on that right now and a new 29 gallon tank would be nice :D
The way you think is how I feel. Nothing is cheap. I was happy to find this free tank 3 years ago, but sure spent a lot since.
I started with an AC 20 then 30 then 50 . I cleaned it pretty good last week by rinsing the media in tank water. Everything in there was black,took a lot of wiping down and brushing, and cleaned the impeller. It's already black again at the outflow area. I use a pre filter and have been throwing them away instead of cleaning them lately. I accidentally bought too many so they're getting used.

I have to do some thinking this week.... need to do something soon but not rushing head first into an emotional decision. Right now I'm way too emotional!

Just back from physical therapy and hoped for more fry.... not yet or they're hiding, or Mom ate them for lunch!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• The_fishy
  • Algae
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
carsonsgjs
20 Gallon Tank Weird Algae
Replies
Views