What Kind Of Algae Is This? Question

Discussion in 'Algae' started by natureandwildlife, Jul 20, 2019.

1. natureandwildlife

natureandwildlifeValued MemberMember

About a week ago I noticed a little bit of this stuff growing on the glass of my tank. Since then it is spreading fast. I have a Mystery Snail but she doesn't seem to be interested in it. Can anyone tell me what it is?
    20190720_095202.jpg20190720_095209.jpg20190720_095222.jpg20190720_095618.jpg

2. Repolie

RepolieWell Known MemberMember

It looks to be diatoms.

3. OP
    OP
    natureandwildlife

Thanks. How do I get rid of it?

4. loner556

loner556Valued MemberMember

5. Donthemon

DonthemonWell Known MemberMember

It should wipe off easily with a paper towel.

6. OP
    OP
    natureandwildlife

My tank is fully stocked so don't have room for any Nerite Snails. I wish my Mystery Snail would eat it.

It is pretty far down in the tank so should I use a cloth or is paper towel ok in the water?

7. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

I use either prefilter sponges or expired gift cards to remove anything from my glass... it’ll wipe off easy with even just your hand most likely

8. Jack B Nimble

Jack B NimbleWell Known MemberMember

Pretty normal diatoms if a new tank if its older tank too many silica in water. Use a phosguard in the filter.

9. Donthemon

DonthemonWell Known MemberMember

It s fine. You just want to get it out of the water and not let it float off. Or a sponge or wash cloth that you are sure didn’t have any sop left on it.

10. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

There is always room for a Nerite in any tank IMO.

11. Dch48

Dch48Well Known MemberMember

Mystery snails are not great algae eaters but a Nerite would go to town on that stuff. You'd only need one and they don't put much of a load on a tank. You could even get one of the horned ones that don't get as big and do as good a job of cleaning up algae if not better.

12. Basil

BasilWell Known MemberMember

So a question....do nerites need hard water for their shells?

13. Dch48

Dch48Well Known MemberMember

They do not need as hard a water as Mystery snails do. A GH of 6-8 and a KH of 5 or more is fine. They do all right with slightly softer if a calcium source like a piece of cuttlebone or egg shell is put in the tank. The pH should also be 7.2 or higher. Mystery snails like very hard water. Too hard for most tankmates so they will do well with the same readings as Nerites. Just from my research, Mysteries can do well with GH from 8 to 18 and a KH of 12 to 18. You wouldn't want water like that in a community tank. Nerites are very adaptable. I have one in my Betta Tank where the water is slightly softer(TDS of 130), one in my other tank where the TDS is about 160 and a little Horned Nerite in my Opae'Ula tank which has brackish water of half the salinity of sea water.

14. Basil

BasilWell Known MemberMember

Thank you so much!

15. JamesMcguppy

JamesMcguppyValued MemberMember

I would have to agree with everyone one nirite snail will eat it all pretty fast. I had some in my tank and was wondering why my mystery snail wasnt eating it so I just put two of my nirite snail in to help out a bit and bam with in a day they had most of it gone.