What Kind Of Algae Is This?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by smaurer3076, Apr 21, 2017.

1. smaurer3076Valued MemberMember

ed677785177f866c43106c74af5e5814.jpg

This algae is growing on my anubias nanas roots and I just want to know what kind it is? I think it's beard algae but I could be wrong.

2. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

Yes its algae and looks like beard or bush

3. smaurer3076Valued MemberMember

Do I have to get a SAA?

4. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

No. I wouldn't recommend getting anything live to deal with algae. Tour best bet is to deal with what is causing it so it doesnt come back.

What are your tank parameters and your light and fert schedule.

5. smaurer3076Valued MemberMember

6. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

If your at 0ppm over the board your tank may not be cycled. You should have some nitrates.

Also if your not dosing excel.regularly that can cause algae

7. AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

Be sure you are shaking that second Nitrate bottle vigorously for 30-60 seconds before using it. Several times lately there have been people not shaking and their nitrates were registering wrong, and it was resulting in huge fish deaths.

I agree, you should have some nitrates. What is your pH?

8. Redshark1Fishlore VIPMember

15.08.30 Clown Loach Steve Joul (2) - Copy.JPG
    It's OK to have some algae, that's nature. I tolerate it in my 400l tank because my Bristlenoses only eat 50% of it. This tank is like a river and I tell myself rivers often have a green covering on the rocks!

But if you really don't want it the way I achieve that is to get my macrophytes (normal plants) growing vigorously. The algae then gets outcompeted. I have virtually no algae in my planted tanks, just needing to wipe the front glass clean.

001 - Copy.JPG