What Kind Of Algae Is This, How Can I Get Rid Of It?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by 92Hughes92, Apr 28, 2019.

1. 92Hughes92

92Hughes92New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Hey guys,

Appreciate any and all help with this. I currently have a 40-gallon, partially-planted tank (converting over to entirely). There is an Aponogeton Ulvaceus, a red flame sword, and a dwarf lily (taking quite a bit to actually grow) in there. Then there are two flake plants on either side. The goal is to eventually replace them, too.

About a month ago, I started finding this like string attached to some of my plants and decorations. I didn't think anything of it. I wiped it off. Went about my day. Flash forward to today, and this stuff is everywhere. It's quite annoying because it was not like this when I first planted the tank.

I'm not exactly sure what this is, why it's in there, or how to get rid of it. I attached a picture of the "worst" part of it. It is not like this all over the tank, but on certain sections of the fake plants and even on the ulvaceus.

Any help is appreciated.

Light fixture: Fluval plant 2.0. Screenshot attached of its settings. I recently turned down the light because someone said it could be that.

Plant nutrients: I do not have a Co2 fixture right now. I recently started using Seachum Excel 2x a week. I also use Seachem Flourish once a week. I tried twice a week with that but found constant algae on the sides of the tank.

Tank levels: 7.4 PH. 0 ammonia. 0 nitrite. 20 nitrate that usually gets up to 40 before I do a water change.

Filtration: I use two filters on the tank. I also have a bubble wall in the back that I run during the day, and have off at night.

Attached Files:

2. BlueRamLover

BlueRamLoverNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    Experience:
    2 years
    Its some sort of hair algae. A amano shrimp would feast on that. Most algae killing chemicals for aquariums can kill this easily (like algaefix). Removing it by hand will do nothing because it has little seed things that are microscopic and float around in the water and that is how it spreads.

You definitely need to get nitrates down, do water changes whenever possible and use seachem prime it will detoxify amonia nitrates and nitrites. Algae lives on nitrates Because once my nitrates spiked to 80 ppm's and killed everything with inches of algae :(.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2019
  3. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +11,728
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Nothing wrong with nitrates of 20 in a freshwater tank.

What plant is the algae on?

4. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,101
    Experience:
    2 years
    It looks like the Excel is already getting after it judging from the red color that usually mean an algae is dying or being killed. Are you spot dosing the Excel with a syringe right on the affected plant? If so its working.

5. BlueRamLover

BlueRamLoverNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    Experience:
    2 years
    He said it spikes to 40ppm before a water change

The pic you showed looked like it was dying bba, or something else (bba will turn red purple or white when it dies).

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2019
  6. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +11,728
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Even 40 wouldn't be an issue.

Become a Fishlore Member