What kind of algae do Bristlenose plecos eat?

Ssnaaiil

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Just wondering what kind of algae Bristlenose plecos eat...do they eat green spot algae, brown algae? I know they can’t just live off of algae. I have sinking pellets and veggies to feed it too.

Fisheye

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Repashy gel foods are great as well. You can smear the gel on rocks and driftwood for your pleco's to eat. Have a look at the Community and Bottom Scratcher formulas.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I found Bristlenose Catfish disappointing when it comes to the expected algae control.

This was despite me having over 100 of them including many adults in my 6ft tank!

They certainly don't adequately impact Black Beard Algae, though I could see their little tummies were green and I think they ate some of it.

When I had a Sailfin Plec everything was spotless but this is a very large and aggressive nocturnal fish that attacked my other inhabitants during the night.

Liv2011

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
In my experience they can reduce algae-related maintenance, but they won’t eliminate it. Mine won’t touch black beard algae, spot algae, or the thick fuzzy green algae that used to coat my driftwood. (My nerite snails eat all of the above, though BBA is not their favorite. Very happy with them.)

Bristlenoses do, however, keep non-spot algae off the glass pretty well. I used to have to clean algae off the glass every few weeks. Now there’s just spot algae to remove every so often.

New Threads