What kind of algae and how do I get rid of it?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by LadyRach, Aug 8, 2015.

1. LadyRachNew MemberMember

Since I moved my 45 gal into my 55 gal, I've noticed increased green algae on the glass and an increase in hair algae off my filter outtake. Also o have this stuff on my plants. I have been using leaf zone once a week, co2 3xs a week for a few hours a day and my water parameters are normal. I dont know what to do and it's becoming pretty unsightly. I bought the API filter insert that some people recommended but I would like to see if anyone else has any recommendations.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439048746.871496.jpg
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439048807.073689.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. NinjaTetra

NinjaTetraWell Known MemberMember

That does look unsightly... The green spots are probably diatoms (basically just a ton of single celled plants), and that black stuff MAY be black beard algae. I never had it but from what I've heard its a mess and hard to get rid of.

~ <-----thats one of those cool squiggly lines you do before a signature.

3. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

4. Et tuValued MemberMember

The java fern has black brush/beard algae,are the small green dots of algae hard to scrape off the glass? Too much light, imbalanced fertz.,improper light ( kelvin ) can all lead to algae. Why are you running c02 a few times a week? Read Dolfan's write up on algae.
    When battling algae it's best to " know thy enemy "

5. AlyeskaGirlFishlore VIPMember

The black fluffy stuff is Black Beard Algae. This is a sign of inconsistent or low CO2.

Hair algae is low CO2 or low nutrient levels.

So, basically you have an imbalance with CO2, light and nutrients.

Is the green algae on the glass circular and hard to get off or does it wipe off easily?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  6. OP
    OP
    L

LadyRachNew MemberMember

I'm only running the co2 a couple days because of the cost to replace it. I wanted to see if it made a difference with the plants before I invested a lot of money.

The green algae is very easy to scape off but I end up doing it every other day.

So frustrating!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

You need to be running the CO2 when the lights are on, all the time. I run mine 24/7 just because I have found that to be the easiest way to not have the BBA. CO2 is cheap. BBA is a pain to get rid of.

What are you scraping the algae off with?

What kind of CO2 system are you using?

8. OP
    OP
    L

LadyRachNew MemberMember

I have the Fluval 88gram. I only run it when the lights are on.
    I use a regular metal scraper to remove the algae.
    So are there any suggestions on getting rid of it?

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

9. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Sounds like green spot algae on the glass

You need to be running the CO2 for a few hours before the lights come on so that you have 30ppm of CO2 in your tank when the lights turn on.Then let it run until the lights are off. This may help. I have found that running the CO2 24/7 has helped my tank with BBA. You also need to be doing the 7 days a week.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice