What killed my thick lip gourami?

SuperSword48

I have two thick lip gourami and both have been acting lethargic and not eating, I thought it was stress. I added some duckweed and they started sitting at the top more but still weren’t very active and still weren’t eating. This morning I woke up to one of them dead. Could someone help me determine what killed it? They are housed with 10 harlequin rasboras and 10 Pygmy corydoras. Water parameters are 0 ammonia and nitrites with 15 nitrates. Help would be appreciated to try to save my other gourami.

Attachments

• E8FF5F6D-05A1-4CE1-B123-4F29AB5FEB5E.jpeg
    E8FF5F6D-05A1-4CE1-B123-4F29AB5FEB5E.jpeg
    161.6 KB · Views: 36

awilkinson871

What did their poop look like before they stopped eating? It could be an internal parasite. I often find that when they get lazy and aren't interested in food treating for a parasite helps as long as the water parameters are OK.

SuperSword48

What did their poop look like before they stopped eating? It could be an internal parasite. I often find that when they get lazy and aren't interested in food treating for a parasite helps as long as the water parameters are OK.
It looked a bit longer and more stringy. I did treat for parasites when I originally got them but I know that doesn’t necessarily kill the parasites eggs. Nobody but the gourami are affected though. Should I treat them again?

HungriestPuffer

Those look like red worms coming out of your thicklip. That'd be camallanus worms and you need to treat with Levamisole HCL or Flubendazole. Fritz Expel-P is the correct medication, and Greg Sage and Select Aquatics also sells Levamisole. You'll probably need to do 2 or 3 rounds to clear it.

SuperSword48

Those look like red worms coming out of your thicklip. That'd be camallanus worms and you need to treat with Levamisole HCL or Flubendazole. Fritz Expel-P is the correct medication, and Greg Sage and Select Aquatics also sells Levamisole. You'll probably need to do 2 or 3 rounds to clear it.
Fritz paracleanse wont do it?

HungriestPuffer

Fritz paracleanse wont do it?
It will not. Camallanus is resistant to praziquantel and to metronidazole. You need a stronger dewormer to tackle them, or they will infect your entire tank and slowly kill your fish.

Please treat the entire tank, too. Since the system has been exposed to camallanus, they'll all need to get an intense dewormer. Follow the directions on the medication and vaccuum the substrate really well 24 hours after dosing to get all the paralyzed worms out of there.

I'm so sorry. Camallanus is awful to deal with, but the fact that I'm seeing worms protruding from the fish's vent means you're dealing with a massive infestation. If your other fish has visible worms, I would be prepared for them not to make it, either.

Lucy

Aw, I'm so sorry.
Along with Hungriestpuffers info above here are a couple of stickies that might help:
Camallanus Worms | Freshwater Fish Disease and Fish Health Forum | 83981

How To Get Rid Of Camallanus/nematode Worms | Freshwater Fish Disease and Fish Health Forum | 41023

If you do a search for camallanus on the forum there are several threads from members that you might find helpful as well.

Also if you have shared any equipment between tanks all tanks will need to be treated and the nets, gravel vac etc sterilized.

Such an awful nasty parasite.

SuperSword48

Thank you all for the help. Hopefully my gourami’s death won’t be in vain.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Revan
Replies
Views
SuperSword48
  • Question
Replies
Views
Dippiedee
  • Question