What Killed My Guppy?! Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by ItsLadyJadey, Mar 7, 2019.

1. ItsLadyJadey

ItsLadyJadeyValued MemberMember

I've never seen fin rot that's red but then again I've never had it in my tanks before either. Can anyone identify?

Attached Files:

2. SaltyPhone

SaltyPhoneWell Known MemberMember

From the pics it looks like it could be. Water ph?

How long ago did you notice the problem

3. OP
    OP
    ItsLadyJadey

7.8 consistently.

Literally just like 15 minutes ago. I added lights to my 29g today and after it got dark I noticed he was swimming at the top by the light and the streak on his tail.

Thing is I thought fin rot was fuzzy. This literally looks like his tail is melting.

4. SaltyPhone

No fuzzy is usually a fungus or bacterial issue. Fin rot really looks like fins melting usually with discoloration. What else do you have in there aside from guppies and what size is the tank?

5. OP
    OP
    ItsLadyJadey

Mollies and guppies that's it. It's a 29g tall. I'll probably have to treat the whole tank because of this. I have API general cure so I'll toss the bio media into my other cycled tanks and treat. Would salt be beneficial here? I don't know how gups do with salinity.

..... What the heck! I go to check the tank and pull the biomedia and he's being tossed around by the filter and is upside down. He flails every once in a while.... I probably will need to euthanize to stop his misery. What the heck. He was just fine just acting a bit weird literally 30 minutes ago!

I have him in a small glass right now. He looks like there is blood pooling in his irises and even inside his belly. What on earth has happened to my guppy?! This was one of my first fish when I started. :emoji_cry::emoji_tired_face:

Because of this... I'm probably gonna toss the media. I don't know what this is. Or why it happened but if there's a chance it's in the filters I don't wanna transfer it to my other tanks. No way no how. I'll start my cycle over that's fine with me I know how to do a fish-in cycle.

WARNING: DEAD FISH PHOTOS

He died so quickly, within 2 minutes of me pulling him from the tank. He was fine earlier today because I always check my tanks throughout the day. At least, he was swimming anyway. I didn't notice the red on him.
    I'm terrified for my other fish right now.

Attached Files:

6. SaltyPhone

I don’t know if I would be so quick to throw out the filter media. However Id do at least a 50% wc test water parameters and dose the general cure if that’s what you have. Preferably an antibacterial if you have like any kind of ich medication supposedly methelyne blue is good as well.

So sorry to hear about a loss. Especially one you’ve had from the start. Keep us posted

7. OP
    OP
    ItsLadyJadey

I'm currently perusing Amazon for something to buy. Whether it's Furan-2 or Methylene Blue. I will be getting something but for right now I've left the media, added a dose of general cure (I'm aware it's for parasites but given I don't know what this is, I'll do a bit of everything, in moderation of course) I didn't do a change because I literally just did one yesterday of about 60%. I added 2 1/2 teaspoons of freshwater salt to up the salinity just a touch and dosed with a bit of Microbe-lift artemiss, which is comparable to Melafix. Once I get the stronger anti-bacterial meds I'll have to figure out something to do with the filter media because I still don't feel comfortable putting into one of my other tanks. The 10G hospital tank I DID have, I ended up having to turn into a fry tank. Livebearers! The fry don't do so well in one of those floating breeders.
    I did test the params just in case.
    Ammonia: 0 ppm
    Nitrite: 0 pmm
    Nitrate: Somewhere around 3 ppm I assume. It's not quite 5 but not 0 either.

8. OP
    OP
    ItsLadyJadey

I've so far treated with api general cure, 2 doses of tetra lifeguard and today I received the methylene blue. No losses since this guppy and no more rot or any other complications I can see. I treated with blue today. (removed my biological media too I don't wanna lose that and stuck it in my 20) I won't dose that tank because of my snails, frog and guppy grass.
    I also decided to lightly dose my fry tank as I had an issue in there a couple days ago too. So far so good.

I need to retract my statement. Since adding the blue I now can see white fuzz on the fins and lower body of both one of my males and one of my females. :( I hope this medicine helps. I added 60 drops of blue which isn't as much as the dosing said but I don't wanna overwhelm them honestly. Any bluer and I won't be able to see them!

They also look rather sickly and thin. Not sure why.

9. SaltyPhone

Dose per the instructions and we will hope for the best.

10. OP
    OP
    ItsLadyJadey

I've added enough to match dose... Whatever this is it's spreading very VERY quickly. Only on the guppies. I've evacuated the mollies to another tank for now.... 3 more gups are looking sickly and have white spots. It almost looks like their scales are just... Rotting away. This sucks.. .

After some googling I think it may be guppy disease, tetrahymena pyriformis. Not 100% but it's intensity and contagious behavior seems to point in that direction. I highly doubt any of my guppies will survive this. :(

11. OP
    OP
    ItsLadyJadey

So far I've lost all but 4 of my 10 guppies... They seem to be doing well now but I've continued to do water changes and treatment with blue just to be sure. If in 2 days I've not lost any more, and no signs of illness in the fish, I'll place a carbon filter and do more water changes until I feel I've removed most of the medicine. Then place my biomedia back into the filter and try to get the cycle jumpstarted again. The giant tank looks rather silly with only 4 guppies... It makes me sad. All my favorite and beautiful males have died from this horrible affliction in my aquarium. :emoji_sob:

Alright now I'm baffled. I changed the water like I normally do, added some methylene blue for a final treatment. Everything looked good. Then suddenly my water is cloudy? Like, this happened over the course of maybe 5 hours. Huge difference.

Attached Files: