What killed my guppy?

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by Bellusion, Aug 4, 2015.

1. BellusionValued MemberMember

Hi all. I woke up this morning to a dead guppy. I have no idea why she died and I am worried about the rest of my fish.

The water this morning (I check daily) was 0 amnonia and 0 nitrites. I did not test nitrates but it has been consistent at around 30 (my tap has nitrates in it). My ph is 8.2. I am not overstocked (6x diamond tetras, 2x snails, 2x shrimp, 2x guppies).

This was a new fish, just added on Sunday afternoon. She was added by herself and acclimated slowly, due to my ph.

I didn't notice her acting strange at all and she looked fine. The only odd thing was that she got stuck in one of my fake plants on Monday, and no other fish has had that happen.

I woke up this morning to find my ivory snail on top of it.. at first I thought it was a ghost shrimp and then I realized that the guppy's tail was missing. None of my fish have a nipping problem, so I have to assume that happened after death but I don't know.

The other fish are acting fine.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  2. tyguy7760

tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

It could just very well be the stress of a new tank. I've had this happen to me a couple of times with new fish (happened to one of my cory's not too long ago). I would just keep a close eye on the other guppies to make sure they don't start acting funny as well.

Your male will probably harass your female quite a bit but if you've had these guys for a while and this isn't happening you will probably be fine. It's recommended to have 2 females for every male to spread out the harassment between 2 females instead of just 1.

Does your male guppy have a big flowy tail? I would say that is' possible your tetras nipped it to death but if they are leaving your male alone this is doubtful. I had a school of lemon tetras completely destroy the first male guppy I put in my tank several months ago. Had to rehome them because the wife and kids wanted guppies.

I would just keep a close eye on the other guppies. If your male is harassing the female a lot you probably need to get another female so she doesn't get chased to death.

3. MtnTigerWell Known MemberMember

Sometimes newly purchased fish just dye for no apparent reason. It happens to all of us.

4. ClearEyes

ClearEyesWell Known MemberMember

I had a guppy that I introduced to a fully cycled tank, and he died after a few days for no apparent reason. No one else in the tank got sick in any way (this happened months ago, and everyone else who was in the tank at the time is still thriving).

Guppies aren't bred very responsibly, and sometimes you just get a bad one. Sorry :(

5. tyguy7760

tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

Speak of the devil, I woke up this morning to find the guppy I bought saturday dead in the tank. No nipping signs, no spots, no injuries. All of my other fish seem fine.

This just happens from time to time. Especially with new fish

6. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Sorry to hear about the losses :(

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice