What Killed My Fish?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Megan1001, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Megan1001

Megan1001 Valued Member Member

I had to euthanize my black molly today because overnight he suddenly got very sick. I've had him for a few months and have had to deal with things like fin rot because when I bought him from Petsmart he had a few issues. He was missing an eye and his gills were slightly puffy. He was fine for months and I was treating his fin rot and making sure he had no parasites. He was normal when I went to bed (eating, swimming, etc.) but when I woke up he was laying on the bottom of my tank barely breathing. I thought he was resting but when I turned the light on he still didn't move. I tried nudging him and he attempted to swim away. About an hour later he was twitching, running into walls, curling up, spinning in circles face down, laying on his back, etc. What disease could have caused him to get this bad overnight.
    Water parameters:
    Ammonia - 0
    Nitrite - 0
    Nitrate - 10
    PH - 7.6
    Tank size - 10 gallons
    Tankmates - 5 serape tetra, 2 snails, 1 adf

2. goplecos

goplecos Well Known Member Member

Well you are overstocked and Mollies need a 20 long at least so I think it would be stress from the small tank size. also Serape Tetras need a 20 long and ADFs should be in a species only tank. I would get a 20 gallon for the the Tetras and try Mollies again. I think they will be much happier in a 20 gallon.

3. OP
    OP
    Megan1001

I have tried to upgrade but my parents won't let me. I know he needed a bigger tank and was thinking about rehoming him but there's not a place that would take him around me. I'm sure stress might have been a factor but it would not cause him to get so bad overnight. If it was stress wouldn't he slowly get bad or die when I got him. He was fine for months and didn't seem to stressed out.

4. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

I don't care what size tank you kept the poor guy in. I am sorry for your loss. I'm guessing tank size had nothing to do with your loss. The corkscrew spinning that you mentioned is very indicative of whirling disease. It's a parasitic infection. This should not occur in the aquarium industry any longer and it makes me very angry. The parasite's life cycle involves two hosts, the fish and the tubifex worm. There are still fish farms that feed tubifex worms as a cheap protein to their fish even though they know there is a real risk. Do not buy another fish from whoever or whatever chain you purchased this molly from. There are diseases that farms and breeders have a hard time protecting against, but this is one that can easily be handled if the breeders were not a bunch of money grubbing jerks. Rant over. This should not be happening in the hobby and I have seen two in the last three days.

5. Lance0414

Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

Both Serpaes and Mollies need a minimum of 30 gallons and probably the reason the Molly got sick is from all the ammonia in the tank.

6. OP
    OP
    Megan1001

I looked it up and that's probably what it was. Is it contagious to the other fish that were in the tank with him?

7. OP
    OP
    Megan1001

The ammonia in my tank is always at 0

8. KimberlyG

No, they should be alright as long as they were not from the same fish farm. I'm sorry I sound so angry but these deaths are so unnecessary.

9. OP
    OP
    Megan1001

I totally agree with you. I didn't know anything about fish and diseases when I bought him so I didn't know all the issues he already had. They are taken such bad care of at large chains and I'm so happy I finally found a LFS I can trust.

10. KimberlyG

Oh by the way, Welcome to Fishlore!
    I'm sorry you probably came here for this reason, but do stick around. We all learn and grow from each other.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice