What Killed My Cory

LeBreevee

So this morning I noticed one of my cories doing the dreaded laying on its side. It was lethargic and hardly moved. I just finished all my college classes for the day and found him gone.

All my other cories are acting perfectly normal, and I just got my water tested to confirm that the water paramaters are perfect. Does anyone see anything in these photos to indicate it was anything other then stress?

Attachments

• B81533CE-42B5-4488-80DC-FC56EF36EF25.jpeg
    B81533CE-42B5-4488-80DC-FC56EF36EF25.jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 83
  • 6D2D7845-282E-4016-8CBB-71BED40E0680.jpeg
    6D2D7845-282E-4016-8CBB-71BED40E0680.jpeg
    55.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 871A39EB-571B-4865-BC18-7E6861869DE9.jpeg
    871A39EB-571B-4865-BC18-7E6861869DE9.jpeg
    62.7 KB · Views: 92

Fishstery

Looks like some dorsal fin tearing/rot which could be from bad water, getting stuck to a filter intake, another tankmate...? Possibly red gills also from bad water. What size is the tank? Temp? Filter? Tankmates? When you say you just got your water tested do you mean you test yourself at home or went to petsmart or something where they use test strips?

LeBreevee

Looks like some dorsal fin tearing/rot which could be from bad water, getting stuck to a filter intake, another tankmate...? Possibly red gills also from bad water. What size is the tank? Temp? Filter? Tankmates? When you say you just got your water tested do you mean you test yourself at home or went to petsmart or something where they use test strips?
I went to the pet store where they use test strips, but Ive been doing water changes every other day.

And before anyone says it, YES I am aware the tank needs to be bigger and have every intention of upgrading it as soon as I get out of my college dorm.

I have 1 male betta
and now 5 c102 cories
temp 78*
ph 7.0
10g tank
aqueon wisper filter
his fin was damaged during a transport incident from my house to my dorm. he was doing fine with the injury but suddenly keeled over today.

I use seachem prime and seachem stabilty during my 25-30% water changes every other day.

All my other cories are acting fine.

A month ago when I got this cory I had a nitrite spike, its possible his gills were damaged then and he just weakened over time.

DoubleDutch

Gave this a thought last night.

I think it might have been caused by a bacterial issue. These fish are wildcaught in acidic water (low Ph). Low Ph / acidic water also has a sterilizing effect. Bacteria have a hard time.

When one puts these fish in more alkaline water and in combination with a higher temp these bacteria may take their chance.

Friend of my had these ragged fins in other type of wild caught Corys. C.oiapoquensis.

Think about adding Catappa / Indian Almond leaves which have a antibacterial working and lower Ph a bit.

LeBreevee

Gave this a thought last night.

I think it might have been caused by a bacterial issue. These fish are wildcaught in acidic water (low Ph). Low Ph / acidic water also has a sterilizing effect. Bacteria have a hard time.

When one puts these fish in more alkaline water and in combination with a higher temp these bacteria may take their chance.

Friend of my had these ragged fins in other type of wild caught Corys. C.oiapoquensis.

Think about adding Catappa / Indian Almond leaves which have a antibacterial working and lower Ph a bit.

How low should the ph go? Its around 6.5 right now.

LeBreevee

That's okay. Don't mess with it.
Adding leaves for beneficial bacteria / tannins isn't a bad idea though.
Would java fern leaves work?

If not, where could I get the other two types of leaves? Unfortunately, I haven't seen either of those at our petco or petsmart.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Cambrianexplosion24
  • Question
Replies
Views
FeederGuppies
Replies
Views
Oriongal
Replies