What Killed My Bleeding Heart Tetras?

RJR

After planting and cycling my 40 gal, I added seven Black Skirt Tetras. After two weeks, I added seven Bleeding Hearts. Two weeks later added six corys. All perameters keep solid and it appeared to be a peaceful community. After a couple more weeks - today all the Bleeding Hearts are gone! The Black Skirts and Corys are fine. Tested water and every thing ok. What killed my Bleeding Hearts?

Punkin

All 7 at once or over a period of a few weeks? Are you able to list exact water parameters so we can help figure this out? So sorry that happened!

RJR

Punkin said:
All 7 at once or over a period of a few weeks? Are you able to list exact water parameters so we can help figure this out? So sorry that happened!
All seven at once. Other fish ok. 0 amonia, 0 nitrite, 20 nitirate, 7.6 ph, temp 77. Fed alternately - flakes, pellets, frozen brine, blood worms.

Punkin

Could something in your tank malfunctioned and caused an electrical surge/current problem? That's all I can think of! Maybe others can chime in?

Aquaboy

I would venture to guess that they were ill when you got them. Were there any visible signs on the bodies e.g. bloating, fin damage, etc.

RJR

No, they looked great! And they were a little bigger than the black skirts and no signs of aggression that I saw.
And the Corys were soooo little - any problem with the tank should have killed them first, I would think.

chromedome52

The entire group at once suggests some sort of toxin, but most of those would have taken out the other fish, as well. I cannot imagine anything taking Bleeding Hearts without taking out the Black Skirts, at the very least. I think it is a mystery that will simply remain unsolved.

RJR

Hello, all. For those that were kind enough to take an interest in this strange event, I have a follow up. Went back to my LFS and told them what happened to my Bleeding Hearts. Their BHs died off also! So, illness of some sort? Of course he didnt know what happened. And - more than two weeks no refund - of course.
I did visit the other other chain and got more BH. Always liked those guys for some reason.
This was my first loss in a year and two tanks of fish keeping. I kind of took it personal. Lol

Punkin

RJR said:
Hello, all. For those that were kind enough to take an interest in this strange event, I have a follow up. Went back to my LFS and told them what happened to my Bleeding Hearts. Their BHs died off also! So, illness of some sort? Of course he didnt know what happened. And - more than two weeks no refund - of course.
I did visit the other other chain and got more BH. Always liked those guys for some reason.
This was my first loss in a year and two tanks of fish keeping. I kind of took it personal. Lol
Wow that's a shame. Good luck with the new batch. They are cuties. I've had them years ago.

ChrisX

If it was a parasite, it could have infected other fish... and could pose a problem in coming weeks. Maybe try some API General Cure. It is plant and invert safe.

djnjoelle

Could a change in water temp be to blame?

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom