What killed my betta? Should I disinfect my tank before adding another one?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by neofyt05, Jan 4, 2013.

1. neofyt05

neofyt05Valued MemberMember

I've had my betta for 5 months in a 10 gallon heated filtered (set up and running more than 3 years ago). Two weeks ago i noticed the fins looked a bit thinner and kinda see-through and were usually clamped, then the face and belly started looking whitish. Today i found it dead on the bottom. :(
    If I want to get another betta should I treat the tank first? I have some melafix.

2. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I wish I knew what to tell you about your betta. Without pics its really hard to diagnose things. You're filter will be fine for a while though, so don't feel like you need to get another betta in there soon. You can wait a few weeks if you want - the bacteria colony will be just fine.

3. OP
    OP
    neofyt05

Thanks for your input Jaysee. I moved 3 apple snails there to keep the cycle going. My main concern is that if my betta died from some kind of bacteria infection or something that thing might still be in my tank and pass on the new fish.

4. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I've honestly never broken a tank down and disinfected it before. All I do is a big water change, and then I give it some time and try again. A lot of the things that infect our fish are found naturally in the aquarium - just like how you come into contact with stuff every day, you do not always get sick.

5. OP
    OP
    neofyt05

I see :)
    I will do a 50% water change and use melafix just in case. Thanks