What Just Happened To My Shrimp?! Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by MissRuthless, Apr 15, 2018.

1. MissRuthless

MissRuthlessWell Known MemberMember

So I've recently brought home a new batch of cherries and all's been well so far. Yesterday I noticed a female carrying eggs, and the fish were harassing her to the point of actually trying to pick the eggs off her tail so I put her in my biggest breeder net with a bunch of plants and a piece of cholla to hide in. She seemed 100% healthy, despite being so loaded up with eggs that she'd fall over here and there and sometimes land on her back when swimming from one place to the next. She always righted herself immediately and was still very active, and I've definitely seen young mothers do the same while learning how to carry the eggs.

I checked on her not more than an hour ago and she was fine, grazing on algae. Then I checked again just now and... dead. When I checked her earlier I thought maybe her eggs looked a little fuzzy, but I have terrible eyesight and I figured if they were molding or otherwise not healthy, she'd just drop them eventually. Apparently not.

I had to take my fiancé's phone to get a clear shot, but the eggs are all types of fuzzy and moldy looking and have what looks like hairs coming off of them. They look like eggs that someone tried to salvage without knowing that they need to be fanned/have air flow over them. What is this?! Is it possible that the eggs went bad and killed her because she didn't know enough to let them go? I know there was a weird disease going around that looked similar, but I'm pretty sure these were healthy eggs and not some fungal/bacterial growth.

I'm so upset. I killed off my whole colony by being lazy and depressed, and I've spent a lot of money replacing them but I just can't get them to start breeding again. I really thought she was gonna give me some babies. She showed zero signs of distress or anything to indicate she was about to die. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? :(

IMG_1982.JPG

2. Professor Catfish

Professor CatfishNew MemberMember

Sigh I also killed off a massive colony of cherry shrimp due to depression, I feel for you. I've never seen this problem personally, but it looks like a fungus. I'd treat with Pimafix for fungus and Melafix for possible bacterial infections. The rest of your tank might be in danger.
    It could have been due to the fish nipping and stress of moving her. Get you some shrimp tubes or other hidey-hoes where the precious shrimps can breed / incubate / molt in peace. I hope you can post back with some more luck :)

3. OP
    OP
    MissRuthless

So I've got another berried shrimp and she seems alright, though her eggs are more white than yellow. I'm worried though, about the possibility of fungus. My water sprites have been growing some funky hairy looking algae (or fungus, don't know which) on the roots, and I just noticed some fuzz on the outtake of the filter as well. I have never had any issues with algae or fungus so I have no idea what could be going on. The fuzz on the plant roots looks very similar, to me anyway, to the fuzz on my dead shrimp's eggs. Could they be related? Should I do something? I thought about trying a dose of excel, but I'm not even sure if it's algae and I'm kinda scared of that stuff anyway, which is why I have never used the bottle I have (does excel go bad?). I'd like to figure out how to stop it from growing on my plant roots just because it looks terrible, but I'm more concerned for the eggs of my shrimp and gouramis if it's a dangerous fungus. Any thoughts, friends? :(

IMG_2075.JPGIMG_2135.JPG

4. OP
    OP
    MissRuthless

@Lucy could you please move this over to the disease forum for me so maybe someone who can help will see it? Thank youuu :)

I lost another shrimp today. I didn't get to have a good look at it, I don't think it was the berried female but I accidentally squished it with the net trying to remove it so I'm really not sure. It's entire insides were white and it was starting to separate at the tail already, though I don't think it was there when I first checked the tank this morning. It may have been a bit fuzzy under the tail on the swimmerets, but again, I squished it too badly to really tell. I'm really afraid I've brought some terrible shrimp killing bacterial or fungal infection in with the original petco shrimp that I put in the tank when I started restocking. Not only have I never dealt with algae or fungus, but I've never dealt with any sort of illness or disease in my shrimp either, and my eyesight isn't so great anymore so it's not easy to see small marks or growths on half inch shrimp. I'm going to add a bit of melafix for right now and keep reading - if anyone has any thoughts, or any good links to info on shrimp disease I'd be grateful.

5. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

Someone beat me to it. Good luck, I hope you get things figured out.

6. OP
    OP
    MissRuthless

Thank you, me too. I'm afraid to look under the driftwood and find more dead shrimp :( I've never had shrimp problems before, but I just can't get this group going and I have no idea why.

Do you know what the algae looking stuff on my water sprite roots could be?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice