5 Gallon Tank What is your suggested Media Layout?

DTurner

Hello Everyone,

I have a Dymax SlimFlo filter on my 5 gallon planted tank. When I set up the aquarium I removed the "Filter Media" it came with which was just a small slab of Filter floss with some charcoal between the 2 layers. I replaced it with a small bag of cut to size thin pad, then a small bag of charcoal, followed by a small bag of filter media, capped with another cut to size filter pad.

I have noted that my tank is getting slightly murky even after water changes (40-50% water changes). When i noticed it yesterday after my water change I chalked it up to the water change itself and that it would clear up. Today it is not clearing up and I think maybe I should adjust what I have in the filter.

Should I remove the bag of bag of ceramic rings and activated charcoal since the filter pad is a charcoal pad. In its place I would just put more of the filter pad to "polish" the water more. I suppose another option will be to purchase proper cut to fit filter polishing pads. Obviously I would do this slowly as I don't want to screw up the already aquarium's cycle in the filter.

Links:
Filter Pad
Filter Media

Thanks in Advance
--DJ

A201

Install a Fluval FX replacement sponge, (cut to size). Place the ceramic rings on top.
Toss the activated carbon. Only use it to remove meds & tannins.

DTurner

Install a Fluval FX replacement sponge, (cut to size). Place the ceramic rings on top. Toss the activated carbon.

I'll try this out and see how it goes. I appreciate the quick response.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Lakemontfishlover
Replies
Views
GenF211
Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies