What is Your Guess?

Cody

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What is your guess on the gender.

I recently added a few Rams to my tank. Some 4 GBR, 1 Electric Blue and 1 Gold Ram In my 60 gallon

I started with 2 GBR and the Electric Blue and Gold, the Gold was the biggest of the original 4. And there was a little chasing but nothing crazy but the GR definitely took charge.

About a week later I add two more GBR from a different LFS that typically gets better stock and I had been waiting for their arrival. Those two were closer to the Gold Rams size and even a little larger. The GR IS definitely trying to hold dominance especially against the larger Rams. Nothing major an no nipping at this point but lots of chasing when ever they come in it’s sight.

my guesses so far is the GR is a female and there is a even split of 3 males and 3 females. And it really seems like the GR doesn’t like the lager GBR female. All of this seems pretty normal and they have only all been in the tank together a few days.

sorry lots Of rambling for a simple question. What is your guess?

Attachments

Leeman75

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm far from an expert. The features seem female to me, but no pink on the belly so I'm not sure. It's a very beautiful fish either way!!

OP
Cody

Cody

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Leeman75 said:
I'm far from an expert. The features seem female to me, but no pink on the belly so I'm not sure. It's a very beautiful fish either way!!
Same here - Just going off other examples on here. I wasn't sure if the the Golds would get the pink belly like the regular GBR variety.

OP
Cody

Cody

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
coralbandit said:
Both pictures are males .
Thank you.

that being said I know they are cichlid so some aggression is expected. If there is no nipping or damage to the others in the tank should I not be concerned? This one is definitely more persistent than the others. Especially the one that is slightly larger.

I just am trying to gauge what to view as normal what could be certain stress/death

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cody said:
Thank you.

that being said I know they are cichlid so some aggression is expected. If there is no nipping or damage to the others in the tank should I not be concerned? This one is definitely more persistent than the others. Especially the one that is slightly larger.

I just am trying to gauge what to view as normal what could be certain stress/death
When you see damage[nipped fins or disease] you should address it .
Until then that is just the hierarchy like all animals have .

New Threads