What Is Your Favorite,coolest Catfish Species You Own

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
I like cories, aeneus bronze and albino are the ones I have, but my all time favorite catfish would be a lemon bristlenose and two saddle cories.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
I'd LOVE a herd of 12-15 cory's but my source water prohibits that and my brain (and pocket) aren't ready for RO. My eyes are though! They are awesomely entertaining in a large school!

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
I have given it much thought.
I have to say that I am fond of them all.

But I have (now and in the past) favorites.

1. At the top of the list is my boy Beast.
_MG_7835 copy.0 copy.jpg

2. Miss kitty. She took the long swim many years ago.
IMG_1903.0.jpg

3. Benny.
_MG_5364-Edit copy 2.0.jpg

4. I am very fond of ottos.
_MG_3947 copy.0.jpg

5. And glass cats.
_MG_5152-Edit copy.0.jpg

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
95C8ED20-AD00-470C-AA94-A0FCE1F1236D.jpeg
My feather fin is nice. Than there’s the ottos
72F94F25-79AF-444B-BE2E-927B2D9426A6.jpeg
4 in the pic. And everybody likes corys
5E406EB5-DAFE-4FA6-8869-D9D94513CF0C.jpeg

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
My favorite species is BN plecos. My favorite individual is Stubby the lace synodontis. He/she is right around 6in and continues to grow. The African cichlids may try to push Stubby around, but he/she pushes back.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
DoubleDutch said:
I seem to like Corydoras.

Hoping to keep Aspidoras and clown plecos in the future.
oopssss small addition.

Rubberlips and Otocinclus are catfish too of course. Forgot those.
64d402a6384073f7204630627e746a5e.jpg
31caee7307b1a2888b36620f063f901d.jpg
984dbd7b775c20d9ba34e085772950ef.jpg
37c35264f1070a9b384758df1e1a64d4.jpg

Cheesecake

Well Known
I've never owned any kind of catfish, so I'd have to say my favorite is the kind that comes with a side of fries :hilarious:.
Edit: oh now I get the joke about Lucy profile pic :hilarious:.

Coptapia

Well Known
Clarias batrachus - the white one, I don’t like the marbled one.
Shovelnose (SorubI'm lima).
Glass Cats (Kryptopterus vitreolus).
Leiarius marmoratus.
Gold Spot Plec.
Black and Brown Bullheads.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
86 ssinit said:
Sorry I hate to have to correct you but... it’s a gaggle of Cory’s not a herd .
I thought "gaggle" was geese, "giggle" was a bunch of teenage girls, and "goggle" was a group of Celestials!

jjohnwm said:
Pretty high bio-load in that tank...
Where's the substrate?? Sand would be appropriate I think...lol!

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Momgoose56 said:
I thought "gaggle" was geese, "giggle" was a bunch of teenage girls, and "goggle" was a group of Celestials!
Now stop we all know what Goggle is... the way we get on the internet. Come on celestials?? .

Momgoose56 said:
Where's the substrate?? Sand would be appropriate I think...lol!
Play sand to be exact. I do remember seeing them in my kids sand pit.

MomeWrath

Well Known
I don't have one, but my sister had one for many years: Striped Raphael Cat. And pictus are awesome too.

OP
CaptainAquatics

CaptainAquatics

Well Known
H! What is your favorite/coolest catfish species that you personally own? That is my question. Mine is defiantly my lace (Synodontis) lactfish (sometimes called Featherfin squeaker catfish). I personally own three of them (the biggest of which is about 6.5 inches long) and I love their high fins and overall look. They are super fun to feed and I can’t wair until they reach full size (about 8-10 inches). Here is my biggest:
image.jpg

Second to these guys is defiantly my Pictus Catfish who are now both around 7 inches long. What are your favorites that you own?

WildType

I love Synodontis, the behavior is just cool to look at. Definitely oddballs. My new baby lucipinnis are little acrobats, like they're weightless. Here's one nibbling on a driftwood bacterial bloom.

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Currently I only have a starlight pleco that hides a lot... not very interesting, but I like him a lot. The coolest and most interesting I've ever had was a Synodontis Decorus - the clown squeaker. When I picked it up to add to the tank it gave me a huge shock by shrieking/squeaking quite loudly. I was given it with a tank by a guy who didn't know what it was, so I didn't know its common name and had no idea a fish would squeak. It was so random and shocking that I didn't notice it was the catfish making the sound at first and didn't realize that it had stabbed me in the hand with its spines until about half an hour after. That was a bit strange as there was a little bit of blood and it stung too!!! The way he looked and behaved was really great - would have loved to keep him but the tank was intended for smaller fish that likely wouldn't have been to happy to see him.

Seems Synodontis are quite popular!!

OP
CaptainAquatics

CaptainAquatics

Well Known
WildType said:
I love Synodontis, the behavior is just cool to look at. Definitely oddballs. My new baby lucipinnis are little acrobats, like they're weightless. Here's one nibbling on a driftwood bacterial bloom.

I have one of those in a different tank! They are pretty cool

Feohw said:
Currently I only have a starlight pleco that hides a lot... not very interesting, but I like him a lot. The coolest and most interesting I've ever had was a Synodontis Decorus - the clown squeaker. When I picked it up to add to the tank it gave me a huge shock by shrieking/squeaking quite loudly. I was given it with a tank by a guy who didn't know what it was, so I didn't know its common name and had no idea a fish would squeak. It was so random and shocking that I didn't notice it was the catfish making the sound at first and didn't realize that it had stabbed me in the hand with its spines until about half an hour after. That was a bit strange as there was a little bit of blood and it stung too!!! The way he looked and behaved was really great - would have loved to keep him but the tank was intended for smaller fish that likely wouldn't have been to happy to see him.

Seems Synodontis are quite popular!!
Yeah, Synodontis just come in so many variety’s. I would prob have to go to the ER if mine stabbed me. Since mine are so big they have really big spines, luckily I have never been stabbed, yet

New Threads