What Is Wrong With This Nerite??

butterypistachio

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just bought this nerite just now, because he freaked me out. He was on the glass and though I could tell it was a snail, I really was thinking it was like an oxygen stone or something. He looks like he is covered in stone? Gravel? Concrete? The employee said they get some like this occasionally. What is this? Is he healthy? Will he compromise my tank?
20180716_161405.jpg
20180716_161412.jpg

BReefer97

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
butterypistachio said:
I just bought this nerite just now, because he freaked me out. He was on the glass and though I could tell it was a snail, I really was thinking it was like an oxygen stone or something. He looks like he is covered in stone? Gravel? Concrete? The employee said they get some like this occasionally. What is this? Is he healthy? Will he compromise my tank?
20180716_161405.jpg
20180716_161412.jpg
It’s more than likely because it was kept in too low of a ph or it’s calcium deficient. I don’t see it harming the rest of the tank.

OP
butterypistachio

butterypistachio

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BReefer97 said:
It’s more than likely because it was kept in too low of a ph or it’s calcium deficient. I don’t see it harming the rest of the tank.
Okay, it's such a thick coating though, he is the size of a medium/large mystery snail but I can tell by his foot that he is only a medium sized nerite. I can't fins any information on his condition anywhere. Thank you.

BReefer97

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
butterypistachio said:
Okay, it's such a thick coating though, he is the size of a medium/large mystery snail but I can tell by his foot that he is only a medium sized nerite. I can't fins any information on his condition anywhere. Thank you.
Search “Nerite snail deterioration” and you should be able to find some information on it. They can develop deep pits in their shells from not being kept properly or getting the right diet. Other snails could have been rasping on his shell for calcium too. He’s not healthy, but I don’t see him causing any problems for the fish. He just needs to TLC to get his shell back to life.

OP
butterypistachio

butterypistachio

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BReefer97 said:
Search “Nerite snail deterioration” and you should be able to find some information on it. They can develop deep pits in their shells from not being kept properly or getting the right diet. Other snails could have been rasping on his shell for calcium too. He’s not healthy, but I don’t see him causing any problems for the fish. He just needs to TLC to get his shell back to life.
Okay, I know what deterioration looks like, my first ever nerite had it bad, this is more of a build up. Like something is growing off of his shell. I will get some better pictures after I'm done acclimating.

BReefer97 said:
Here are some better pics
20180716_171237.jpg
20180716_171247.jpg

wodesorel

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is he a saltwater nerite, or possibly collected and sold wrongly as freshwater? Buildup like this is common on seashells, it's like calcium and coral and other small critters building structures on top the shell.

OP
butterypistachio

butterypistachio

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
wodesorel said:
Is he a saltwater nerite, or possibly collected and sold wrongly as freshwater? Buildup like this is common on seashells, it's like calcium and coral and other small critters building structures on top the shell.
He does remind me of saltwater snails I've seen!!! Thank you! That is possible I suppose. They lady at the store said they see those every now and then. Can he survive in my freshwater snail tank?

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
it almost looks like a calcium build up, never seen anything like it

you may have hit the nail on the head there Wodesorel

OP
butterypistachio

butterypistachio

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
richard pulman said:
it almost looks like a calcium build up, never seen anything like it
Right?! That's all I can think of, calcification, but I'd never heard of it so I just assumed I was wrong. That is really what it seems like though, isn't it?

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yep

all nerite snails need brackish water to breed that's why they don't breed in freshwater, so the answre to your question is yes he will live in your tank

wodesorel

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Some nerites species can swing pretty far in either direction when it comes to salt. I know my local LFS has kept some from full fresh to full salt with no trouble. Some species are more salt or more fresh though. With all that crud on top I'm not sure it'll be possible to tell what yours is!

New Threads