What is wrong with this Nerite Snail?

kaleen

I just bought 2 more nerite snails for my aquarium. I haven’t put them in the tank yet as I just got home. I just noticed one of the snails has these large white things on it’s shell and the shell is sort of discolored. What could it be? Picture is provided.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 100

NevermindIgnoreMe

The one looks like a barnacle...

Upvote 0

kaleen

The one looks like a barnacle...
That’s what I was thinking too, just googled it. Some others have found barnacles on their nerites too. Would I be okay to add the snail to the tank?

Upvote 0

NevermindIgnoreMe

I always quarantine my snails in a big jar with regular water changes for a month. I would try that to be sure you didn't introduce any hitchhikers, that will die off without a fish host. And I'd try to remove the barnacle probably. I don't think it will hurt, but just to be cautious.

Upvote 0

Lorli

I was just about to post about this snail, then searched and found this thread. I always thought barnacles lived in salt water.
Do they do any harm to the tank? Can it live in fresh water, or will it die and pollute the water? In other words, is there any reason to remove it?

Attachments

• CF903CCA-B9B0-453A-9855-B122CCC41276.jpeg
    CF903CCA-B9B0-453A-9855-B122CCC41276.jpeg
    60.6 KB · Views: 19
Upvote 0

Bettybrown922

I was just about to post about this snail, then searched and found this thread. I always thought barnacles lived in salt water.
Do they do any harm to the tank? Can it live in fresh water, or will it die and pollute the water? In other words, is there any reason to remove it?
Wow, that's definitely a barnacle! It'll most likely not make it long in freshwater, but it sure is cool. It won't hurt the nerite snail. Is it still alive now? Such a cool thing to get to see!

Upvote 0

Lorli

I think it’s cool, too, that’s why I’d like to leave it there. How do you know if they are alive or not?

Upvote 0

richiep

Looking at the top of the barnacle it looks as if its already been eaten

Upvote 0

Lorli

Is there any problem with letting it stay there as a tank decoration?

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Were these shails shipped to you or did you buy them at your LFS? I am wondering if maybe you have a female in the bag with this one and if maybe she laid eggs on this one. She could have done it during the shipping time or on the way home from the store if they weren't on the shell when you picked them up.

Upvote 0

Lorli

I bought a few at a LFS, left them in clean water overnight before putting them into the tank, and I didn’t notice anything on them at the time. I think there might be another one with a barnacle, too. I had no idea that there were males, females and eggs and I can’t even imagine how they reproduce. That will be an interesting google search for today.
Can they live in fresh water at all? Also it’s funny because I have some large dried barnacles as tank decorations and the young shell dwellers use them.

Upvote 0

Lucas35

The barnacles will die soon in freshwater. They are breackish water barnacles. The idea that Nerites live in freshwater in the wild is a myth. You have olive Nerites, native to Florida. If you look at the forums were people have caught them out of the wild they all report them in brackish water only.

Upvote 0

Lorli

Does that mean that the nerites will die, too?

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

The nerites should be ok. But they probably won't have babies. Something with the brackish water seems pretty key to hatching/surviving to adulthood.

Upvote 0

Lucas35

Does that mean that the nerites will die, too?

They should be fine for about a year (the "average natural life span"). Even in brackish tanks they only seem to live about that long. Something that amazingly few people know is that Nerites in the wild often live over 10 years. Here is a link to the study and a quote (the quote is from page 6): https://borea.mnhn.fr/sites/default/files/Abdou et al..pdf

"During the upstream migration, juveniles (6 mm) of Neritina granosa grow to about 9 mm over several months; growth a rate of 1-3 mm year", slowing until they reach a mean maximum adult length of 29 mm (Brasher, 1997). Ford (1979) suggested a 10-year lifespan, while studies undertaken by al. (2012) confirm a potential lifespan > 10 years, after they recovered tagged snails in Kinihapai Stream, Maui, in 2009 were released in 1994. The upstream movement of this species has been reported by Hau (2007). It limited upstream movement in efficient Neritina granosa recruits stream mouth and at a 2012) then continues Brasher (1997) implied a 6- to 10-year lifespan."

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
richiep
  • Question
Replies
Views
Wanda2
  • Question
Replies