What is wrong with my zebra danios?

AddictedToFishh

Hi I have 5 zebra danios in a 55 gallon tank (had 6) with some neon tetras. Originally I bought 5 zebra danios then one started turning red around its gills and gasping for air at the top of the tank. At first I thought it was a parasite but none of the other ones caught it and I wanted to get more asap as I didn't want them to start getting aggressive with the neons. So I went back and got two more zebra danios one to replace the dead one and one just because I wanted to have a nice school. About a week after getting them another one died with the same symptoms as the first one that died, it got all red around its gills (this time it got red pretty much everywhere) it was barely moving and gasping for breath at the top of the tank. That one died a few hours later. After the second one died I was getting really worried so I did some research on parasites in zebra danios and I couldn't find anything about parasites but I did find out about ammonia poisoning. The two that died have the same symptoms the website said where ammonia poisoning but no other fish in the tank have shown symptoms. I got pictures of the second one that died (I removed it from the tank as soon as it died but only got the pictures the next morning which is why it white.) Do you think this is ammonia poisoning, a parasite, or something else? Im doing a water change today, how much do you recommend changing 25% 50% even 75%? I did stock the tank fairly fast (which I now regret but there's nothing I can do at this point) so if it's ammonia poisoning I think that why be the cause. Please help me, thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20220812_092900.jpg
    20220812_092900.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220812_092830.jpg
    20220812_092830.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220812_092741.jpg
    20220812_092741.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 4

Graydog913

Did you test your water?

Redshark1

All fish need a cycled tank and reasonably low ammonia.

Pay attention to temperature (keep it low) and oxygen level (keep it high) with these.

AddictedToFishh

All fish need a cycled tank and reasonably low ammonia.

Pay attention to temperature (keep it low) and oxygen level (keep it high) with these.
I have a bubbler so that should be helping with oxygen. I keep that water at 22°c. The tank was cycled for about a month before adding any new fish. It was used for goldfish, I rehomed the goldfish, did about a 90% water change kept the filter and gravel and cycled for a month so I would think it would be fully cycled at this point correct? I went looking for my tests to test the water the other day and I couldn't find them, I'm gonna deep clean my house today and hopefully find them so I can test the water, if not I'll have to buy some new ones but that won't happen for at least another week

Redshark1

I never do a 90% water change as it's too much of a shock to the system. My max is 33%.The cycle bacteria need something to feed on. If its a planted tank that will do it. I find a planted tank is cycled in six weeks. If there are no plants I introduce fish slowly to build up the bacteria. Water testing is the mechanism that guides you so you're not guessing.

AddictedToFishh

The water was testing good when I put the fish in and has been ever since, except the past three days I haven't been able to test it. The 90% water change was just because there were goldfish in the tank before and the water was disgusting (which is why I rehomed the goldfish.) I didn't want to use the same water that the goldfish had been living in but I knew I shouldn't drain it all the way so I did a 90% water change and kept the gravel and filter. After a month the water was testing good so I went ahead and added some fish.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Meganliiz
Replies
Views
kaleen
  • Question
Replies
Views
yeti79