What Is Wrong With My Zebra Danio?

1. Heavy Metal Lion

Heavy Metal Lion Valued Member Member

so, obviously I'm new to this hobby.
    I just lost my betta yesterday that was also housed in this tank, and today while i was doing a water change, i noticed this discoloration/damage on one of my zebra danios (see image). Now, i only have 2 danios in this tank (the person that sold them to me said they would be okay until i was able to safely add more fish to my tank). The other danio seems very aggressive. From day 1, the danio pictured has hidden most of the day, so i assumed the other was simply more dominate, but now i'm wondering if he is being bullied/harmed by the other (the other is even chasing my oto cat).
    I've just added "Lifeguard" to the tank, in case this is a bacterial infection.
    any ideas?

(also, i'm sorry the picture is terrible, he was near the glass, so this was the best angle i could get)

Attached Files:

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore :)

Firstly, I would read up on the nitrogen cycle if you're not familiar with it (your profile says you don't know it). Secondly, do you have a test kit that measures pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? If so, can you provide your numbers?

Schooling fish will nip and show aggression if not in proper numbers of at least 6+. However, in a 10g, it is too small to house zebra danios because in a proper school, they are too active to keep in that tank size. Suggested tank is a 20g long. Otos are also shoaling fish and should be kept in a larger tank as well.

I'm guessing the water quality is affecting your fish, a wound from being nipped at or just sick to begin with. I'm not familiar with Lifeguard but I would keep the water as clean as possible for now and look into rehoming or upgrading your tank.

Just want to mention that bettas and zebra danios/otos are not temp compatible.

Advertisement

3. OP
    OP
    Heavy Metal Lion

okay, so i just did some more thorough research (which, admittedly i should've done before getting these fish) and you are totally correct. all three of the remain species should be kept at a lower temp than a betta. since the betta has died, i will lower the temperature of my heater.
    also, i just got back from buying all the tests that i need and will test now (although i did just do a 50% water change about an hour or two ago) so i will post the results when i have them

Advertisement

4. OP
    OP
    Heavy Metal Lion

so an update for anyone that can help:
    i did a 50% water change this morning, then went and bought an ammonia test kit and a PH test kit and the ammonia was around 4.0, so i did another 70% water change a couple of hours later and now it is down around .5. (so i'm pretty sure is problem was the high ammonia)
    this danio is floating at the top and breathing very heavily... he's been doing it for several hours. i don't know if he will make it, but i will sure help him try. i don't have a breeding box or another established tank to move him to, will allowing him to float in a betta cup inside the tank help him or worsen his condition?

5. el337

I wouldn't try to separate him or put him in a cup - that would stress him out more. The high ammonia probably affected him. You mentioned you have 2 danios and an oto? Do you have any other fish? The ammonia was very high considering the fish you just mentioned would have a low bioload.

What is the pH? I would try to get a product that detoxifies ammonia and nitrite like Seachem Prime. It would protect your fish while cycling.

6. OP
    OP
    Heavy Metal Lion

hi, yes, in total there was 1 betta, 6 neons, 2 danios and an oto. i'm pretty sure my ammonia issue was because i introduce all the fish to my 10gal betta tank at the same time (i didn't know about ammonia then). This danio passed away very early this morning.
    I will definitely look into prime, as so many people have mentioned it to me. Thank you for the info

7. el337

You mentioned you lost your betta so is it the 2 danios, 6 neons and oto? How much are you feeding? Limit it to a small pinch every other day to reduce the ammonia being produced.

What is the pH?

8. OP
    OP
    Heavy Metal Lion

the ph has remained around 7.6 through 2 water changes

9. el337

Ok then I'd watch the feeding and do the water changes necessary to keep the toxins low. I'd think about upgrading your tank to at least a 20 long or rehome these fish if you can't. It won't be good for them long term to stay in this tank.

Advertisement