What is wrong with my Scarlet Badis?

StarGirl

He was doing this yesterday. He was fine the day before. It almost looks like he has something stuck in his mouth? He cant pick up the worm. Hes doing that puff up thing. The head on shot is pink inside. I have black sand so that cant be it. I have mini RH snails in there, think he may have eaten one and got some shell stuck?

They eat mostly live blackworms. They did eat some frozen daphnia the day before. They eat frozen Brine Shrimp and bloodworms too sometimes. The other 2 Badis are fine.

ruud Im mostly calling on you the Badis man. :)

Seasoldier

Hi, what beautiful Badis. I can't see anything in its mouth but its top jaw looks deformed to me, sort of pushed / bent back, maybe a collision injury?

StarGirl

Hi, what beautiful Badis. I can't see anything in its mouth but its top jaw looks deformed to me, sort of pushed / bent back, maybe a collision injury?
IDK it looks like the other one when his mouth is closed. Its really strange, hes still doing it today.

Seasoldier

Not good if he can't eat poor thing, have you tried him on something smaller than the worm maybe the brine shrimp to see if he can actually take something & swallow?

StarGirl

I tried some brine shrimp and he seemed to get some then it fell back out. Hes getting paler. :(

Seasoldier

Hmm, doesn't sound good, only thing I can think is to net him & see if there's an obstruction & try to clear it with tweezers.

KeeperOFnano

Definitely something looks to be bothering the top lip. Maybe a sign of submission?

looks like some hierarchy is at play, did look very reluctant to even grab and goes again after but the other is pulling back with it in its mouth like saying not even scraps. Lol harsh little buggers

Never kept Scarlet, only Dario Sp Myanmar so not sure if its a Scarlet specific thing, badis specific or just this fish specific thing. I mean I can see the other just not allowing that one to feed, like it was very reluctant to even grab it...our Tigers do this. Even pairs lol. but not the lip thing

But it is very interesting to see and thanks for sharing.

I hope things go better, such amazing little fish!

Marlene327

Tagging ruud for you

StarGirl

Definitely something looks to be bothering the top lip. Maybe a sign of submission?

looks like some hierarchy is at play, did look very reluctant to even grab and goes again after but the other is pulling back with it in its mouth like saying not even scraps. Lol harsh little buggers

Never kept Scarlet, only Dario Sp Myanmar so not sure if its a Scarlet specific thing, badis specific or just this fish specific thing. I mean I can see the other just not allowing that one to feed, like it was very reluctant to even grab it...our Tigers do this. Even pairs lol. but not the lip thing

But it is very interesting to see and thanks for sharing.

I hope things go better, such amazing little fish!
No they eat from each others mouths like lady and the tramp sometimes. Neither are timid. He just cant suck the worm in. AT ALL.
Tagging ruud for you
Yeah I tagged him in the first post. TY :)

KeeperOFnano

What about something even smaller? Would he eat Daphnia?

Suppose I will call the rudd too

StarGirl

Not much but he did the other day? Couldnt eat brine shrimp.

Marlene327

No they eat from each others mouths like lady and the tramp sometimes. Neither are timid. He just cant suck the worm in. AT ALL.

Yeah I tagged him in the first post. TY :)
Sorry, didn't see the hypertext, if that's what it's called!
I just found a Cory with an issue, what's going on with our fish all of a sudden? Yours is so beautiful, hoping it's not a bad problem.

ruud

Sorry, I have no idea StarGirl. I'm terrible at diagnosing "fish issues". If I would have ever spot an open mouth like this, in my dario's or few other species I have or had, I would have investigated for sure. But I have never seen a disease or behavioural abnormality, apart from glass surfing (more a case of an environmental abnormality :confused:), ever in my tanks.

The idea of submission or communication is interesting, but I have never seen it between males of any dario species.

In all likelihood, the issue is not species related.

I recall issues with bloodworms and obstruction. Lockjaw (tetanus bacteria) is another; but my knowledge ends here.

The big question, is its mouth open all the time? Only during feeding time? And does it show similar behavior with other foods? Is it capable of processing other foods? Bloodworms are not the best food anyhow, so it won't hurt omitting this from the menu, regardless.

FishDin

I've only seen that behavior in dislocated jaws and when there is something stuck in the mouth. But in those cases, the fish were unable close the jaw.

I would examine it closer by hand

StarGirl

The idea of submission or communication is interesting, but I have never seen it between males of any dario species.
They are not aggressive to each other besides a flutter by each other or an occasional chase. You can see in the video the extent of said chases. Not any more than other fish.

The big question, is its mouth open all the time?
No, but not closed all the way, just when hes trying to eat. It was the same with brine shrimp. It seems like whatever it is that fish use to suck food into their mouth is not working. Hes putting his mouth by it and nothing is happening. He definitely WANTS to eat it. He keeps trying.

They mostly eat the live blackworms and brine shrimp. They will occasionally peck at frozen but I think the snail end up eating it instead.

If its dislocated what do you do? I dont see anything stuck. You can see pretty good into his mouth.

SamMe

Is your fish any better, StarGirl?

StarGirl

No not today anyway. :(

Lucy

How is your fish?

StarGirl

He has eaten some Daphnia and actually got one worm yesterday. Must have been luck or getting better? He still has nice color so that's a good sign too.

Lucy

That's great. Maybe an injury and he's beginning to heal.

StarGirl

I hope so!

StarGirl

Update everyone...... It must have been a small injury of some sort. He just ate 2 blackworms right out of the tweezers. He ate some live brine shrimp the other day also. :)

Lucy

That's great news!

Marlene327

I'm so happy that resolved itself and he's healthy again!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
junebug
Replies
Views
CindiL

Did You Know...

TedsTank made a thread about some of the more common questions about driftwood.
Driftwood Notes

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom