What is wrong with my platy? Important

Discussion in 'Platy' started by Kanapa, Apr 16, 2010.

1. KanapaNew MemberMember

I am a new fish owner, have had my fish tank for only 6 months. It's a 10 gallon tank with 2 panda corrys and 4 female platys. All of my fish have been happy and healthy since I bought them. However, one of my platys is suddenly hiding all the time near the surface behind the heater. She rarely comes out and when she does, acts very skittish and then hides again. It doesn't seem like she's eating. Does anyone know what the problem might be? I don't want to lose her. Is there anything I can do to fix the issue?

2. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

Welcome to FishLore!!
    I'm really sorry your fish is worrying you.
    When something doesn't seem right, the first thing to check is the water conditions.
    Can you post your readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

3. OP
    OP
    K

KanapaNew MemberMember

Thanks for replying Lucy. I feel bad about this but I've never checked them since the first month I had my tank since I've never had any issues until now. Is the best way to take a sample of my water into a store to have it tested? Or is there a reasonably priced testing kit I can buy?

4. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

It's best if you have a test kit of your own. The strips, while inexpensive, aren't very accurate. A good liquid test kit is costly but lasts a long time and very reliable. Many of us use the API Master test kit.

The fish store will probably test your water for free but they usually use strips.
    If you decide to do this, ask them to write down the exact readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
    They'll try to get away with saying 'Oh, it's fine' lol

I don't know much about Platys, but I'm sure someone who does will post soon.
    In the mean time, doing a water change might help.

Good luck!

5. Craig-DValued MemberMember

I have a bunch of platies, so I have alot of experience with them. It's hard to say what's going on without mor einformation. They are not a shy fish, so something is up. First, you have to check your water parameters as suggested above. However, if all the fish aren't acting weird, it's likely not the water.

The behavior your describing is typical when they are preggers and about to deliver. How long have you had that particular platy? If she's been in the tank the whole 6 months, then that possibility is out as well because she would have delivered by now. But if she's a recent addition, she might be about to pop out some fry. I think you have to observe her for awhile each day few days to see what's going on. Does she look physicaly different? Any red or white marks, bumps, injuries, etc.? Confirm whether she's eating or not. Because very little stops a platy from eating - it's all they do. If she's not eating, then something is definitely wrong.

6. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Welcome to FishLore!

You don't say in your profile if you know about the nitrogen cycle. If not, I highly recommend that you read up on it. It is probably the most important thing to understand. (if the words nitrogen cycle are underlined, all you need to do is click on it to be taken to an article about it.)

But one would assume that after six months your tank would have cycled. But if you have changed out the filter media (instead of just rinsing in used tank water) you could have lost all of your benificial bacteria that keeps the tank cycled (since it lives in the filter media) and your fish could be suffering ammonia or nitrite posioning.

Also it could be that your nitrates are too high. If you aren't doing regular partial water changes, nitrates will eventually get to a posionous level.

I would strongly suggest that you take the plunge and buy a good test kit. Testing your water is an important part of the fish keeping process.

Good luck!

7. OP
    OP
    K

KanapaNew MemberMember

Thank you for your responses. I really appreciate it. I am going to go this afternoon to buy a test kit. Hopefully, I can then see if the water is ok. I do know about the nitrogen cycle and I do 25% water changes weekly. The platy was added about a month ago actually. Maybe she is pregnant - I hope not (although I guess better pregnant than sick). Her tail looks a little different than the others (I just noticed this). Sort of a little skinnier than the rest, and no, she's not eating much at all just hiding most of the time. Once I get my water parameters I will post them and hopefully someone might be able to tell me what to do to help her. I don't have a quarantine tank so hopefully I can fix it with her still in there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice