What is wrong with my neon tetra?

TeamNotnat

I can't really give any info but found her like this, this morning. All the rest of the neons and other fish in the aquarium are fine. Did a 50% water change in the main tank after I found and removed her. She still wants to eat as I gave her a little piece of flake to shee and she nibbled on it but while floating like this. Please let me know what you might think this is? Is it neon tetra disease? Or something else? Please help. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20210713_121852.jpg
    20210713_121852.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 25

TeamNotnat

No one?

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

Hanging out vertically is usually swim bladder. It could be from constipation, tumor, disease, etc. No real way of knowing. You could try fasting, but that is not a guarantee.

Upvote 0

LHAquatics

Probably swim bladder disease

Upvote 0

TeamNotnat

Hanging out vertically is usually swim bladder. It could be from constipation, tumor, disease, etc. No real way of knowing. You could try fasting, but that is not a guarantee.
I just did the second and last dose of general cure. Lost a second one the same way only he jumped out of the hospital tank. Haven't seen my cories, they've been hiding and my bamboo shrimp, endlers and pleco have been acting normal. The mystery snails are hanging out on top of the water line but do that a lot anyways even with nothing wrong, they're just weird like that lol.
Probably swim bladder disease
Would general cure take care of it? I just put the final dose in the community tank of that. Waiting til sunday to do a water change.

Upvote 0

LHAquatics

I just did the second and last dose of general cure. Lost a second one the same way only he jumped out of the hospital tank. Haven't seen my cories, they've been hiding and my bamboo shrimp, endlers and pleco have been acting normal. The mystery snails are hanging out on top of the water line but do that a lot anyways even with nothing wrong, they're just weird like that lol.

Would general cure take care of it? I just put the final dose in the community tank of that. Waiting til sunday to do a water change.
I'm sorry, but I am not really sure
A201

Upvote 0

darkcat

I think it is a swim bladder. Do you new quarantine fishes? If so how many weeks? Also, what do you feed the neon tetras? When, do you feed then, and how much?

From the pics, he looks like he ate too much/ kind of fat, so that's another reason I think it's swim bladder.
Try fasting for several days, and maybe increase the temp.

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

Double check your water parameters. Make sure the solutions are not expired. I usually try to test water from the bottom near the substrate for a true reading. Neons can be sensitive especially if the tank hasn't been running for a really long time. They can also overeat causing bloat and swim bladder issues.

Upvote 0

TeamNotnat

I think it is a swim bladder. Do you new quarantine fishes? If so how many weeks? Also, what do you feed the neon tetras? When, do you feed then, and how much?

From the pics, he looks like he ate too much/ kind of fat, so that's another reason I think it's swim bladder.
Try fasting for several days, and maybe increase the temp.
This aquarium is over a year old. They have been in the aquarium for 7 months without a death. They get a large variety of foods at separate times. They get probably too little food as there are a variety of fish and many of them. I am a breeder (by. chance/accident) for a lfs. I have never had any sickness issues any of my aquariums until now. This is the only fish I'm having trouble with right now.
Double check your water parameters. Make sure the solutions are not expired. I usually try to test water from the bottom near the substrate for a true reading. Neons can be sensitive especially if the tank hasn't been running for a really long time. They can also overeat causing bloat and swim bladder issues.
The tank is over a year old and the neons have been in there 7 months. I tested with both strips and chemicals (bought new 3 months ago) with the same readings. I have 9 aquariums and am a seasoned aquarium keeper imo. I have never had sickness issues with any of them until now. I breed for a lfs. I'm kind of stumped right now.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Swatson
Replies
Views
Frisbee
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies