Help What is wrong with my Neon Tetra?

ArtFish

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My tetras sometimes look like this.
They have also been slowly dieing off one by one (I think it’s becuase my water has been bad lately)
What’s your water parameters?
How long has tour tank been running?
do you only have neons/tetras in this tank?

might be fungus, Doesn’t look exactly like it though

Keep an eye to see if the tetra look and acts worse.

Add some aquarium salt, otherwise it doesn’t look like anything really bad to me.

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
If you can, remove him immediately. I had a tetra that had something similar and shortly died after. There are a range of bacterial or fungal infection it could have and you definitely don’t want something like that spreading around your tank. A 10g hospital tank is always best. I set up mine for under $40.

I’m no expert on this but two things that come to mind are columnaris and neon tetra disease. One of which is treatable and both of which are infectious to the other fish. Hopefully someone with more experience can give input.

still would recommend removing him immediately and doing a 50-80% water change on the main tank. It will also be helpful to know more info on the tank. If you can fill out this form, please do. Just paste the template into a reply.

Fish Emergency Template | 376562 | Freshwater Fish Disease and Fish Health

OP
Fishbills

Fishbills

Reaction score
ArtFish said:
My tetras sometimes look like this.
They have also been slowly dieing off one by one (I think it’s becuase my water has been bad lately)
What’s your water parameters?
How long has tour tank been running?
do you only have neons/tetras in this tank?

might be fungus, Doesn’t look exactly like it though

Keep an eye to see if the tetra look and acts worse.

Add some aquarium salt, otherwise it doesn’t look like anything really bad to me.
I had one neon tetra randomly die off about a month ago, still don't know why as I wasnt alerted by anything unusual. I dosed with pimafix for two days but had to remove with w/c as my partner brought home a betta. Just purchased aquarium salt, should arrive tomorrow. will post emergency quiz below

OP
Fishbills

Fishbills

Reaction score
FreshwaterHG said:
If you can, remove him immediately. I had a tetra that had something similar and shortly died after. There are a range of bacterial or fungal infection it could have and you definitely don’t want something like that spreading around your tank. A 10g hospital tank is always best. I set up mine for under $40.

I’m no expert on this but two things that come to mind are columnaris and neon tetra disease. One of which is treatable and both of which are infectious to the other fish. Hopefully someone with more experience can give input.

still would recommend removing him immediately and doing a 50-80% water change on the main tank. It will also be helpful to know more info on the tank. If you can fill out this form, please do. Just paste the template into a reply.

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? -10g
How long has the tank been running? -6 months
Does it have a filter? -yes
Does it have a heater? -yes
What is the water temperature? -80 f
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
1 Male betta
5 Neon tetra
2 Nerite snails

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? -Weekly
How much of the water do you change? -50%
What do you use to treat your water? -Seachem Prime & Stability
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? -Vacuum substrate

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? -yes
What do you use to test the water? -api master test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
pH: 7

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? -morn & night
How much do you feed your fish? -pinch
What brand of food do you feed your fish? - hikari & tetra
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? -freeze-dried

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? -5 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? -week ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? -discoloration, patchy,
Have you started any treatment for the illness? -dosed pimafix for 2 days. stopped as heard its harmful for betta
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? -no
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? -no

Explain your emergency situation in detail.

1 month ago 1 neon tetra mysteriously passed, i noticed no changes nor unusual behaviour. recently i noticed a weird dull, grey, patchy hue to mr neon tetra but no behavioral differences. still eating and swimming fine. in my noob opinion his body looks swollen almost.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It is columnaris (saddleback disease). I'd remove this one and euthanise and keep water clean and healthy (it often occures in stress situations).

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
DoubleDutch said:
It is columnaris (saddleback disease). I'd remove this one and euthanise and keep water clean and healthy (it often occures in stress situations).
I do agree it might very well be. Definitely remove immediately. You can treat with mediations but it is highly lethal. Do a large water change and watch closely for others presenting symptoms. Many suggest nitrofurazone and kanamycin in combination for treatment.

If it was due to stress I can see why. A betta and neons in a 10g tank is highly not recommend. It’s generally too small for neons and betta shouldn’t have tank makes in tanks under 15-20g. (Ideally 20).

OP
Fishbills

Fishbills

Reaction score
FreshwaterHG said:

sadly i don't have a hospital tank
DoubleDutch said:
hm..
FreshwaterHG said:
I do agree it might very well be. Definitely remove immediately. You can treat with mediations but it is highly lethal. Do a large water change and watch closely for others presenting symptoms. Many suggest nitrofurazone and kanamycin in combination for treatment.

If it was due to stress I can see why. A betta and neons in a 10g tank is highly not recommend. It’s generally too small for neons and betta shouldn’t have tank makes in tanks under 15-20g. (Ideally 20).
It started before I got the betta. I've only had betta for two days and he doesn't bother the other fishes yet. But uhh, foolish me. I did alot of research and thought it was acceptable to keep the two together. I need some reliable fish sources. If its stress I may know why. I was moving the tank around alot (getting a new stand/ changing the room around etc) and I did see another tetra trying to peck him for getting to close to his algae wafer. would it be okay to do 80% w/c if i did a 50% on thursday? thank you for all your help

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
Fishbills said:
sadly i don't have a hospital tank

hm..

It started before I got the betta. I've only had betta for two days and he doesn't bother the other fishes yet. But uhh, foolish me. I did alot of research and thought it was acceptable to keep the two together. I need some reliable fish sources. If its stress I may know why. I was moving the tank around alot (getting a new stand/ changing the room around etc) and I did see another tetra trying to peck him for getting to close to his algae wafer. would it be okay to do 80% w/c if i did a 50% on thursday? thank you for all your help
Do you have anything to separate the water? Before I had a hospital tank I used a specimen box. It’s can completely keep the water separate. Obviously not ideal but it worked ok if I changed the water daily. I know it’s never fun to euthanize a fish, I always try and give them their best shot. I would just keep aggressive with the water changes for a while to make sure no one else gets infected.

OP
Fishbills

Fishbills

Reaction score
FreshwaterHG said:
Do you have anything to separate the water? Before I had a hospital tank I used a specimen box. It’s can completely keep the water separate. Obviously not ideal but it worked ok if I changed the water daily. I know it’s never fun to euthanize a fish, I always try and give them their best shot. I would just keep aggressive with the water changes for a while to make sure no one else gets infected.
i've just placed him in a temporary holding habitat. i would like to try heal him of course but I don't want him to suffer. okay will do another water change. ty!

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
Fishbills said:
i've just placed him in a temporary holding habitat. i would like to try heal him of course but I don't want him to suffer. okay will do another water change. ty!
Sounds good. Don’t worry too much about temp if your room temp isn’t too low. Columnaris is easier to treat at lower temps around 75. I have also heard Furan-2 and kanaplex work well together for columnaris. Even if it doesn’t get there in time those are two good medications to have on hand and are fairly cheap on amazon (Less then $10 each I believe). It might also help to have if you see more symptoms in the main tank.

New Threads