• curved spine

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fia

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So my fish has been swimming weird lately. She is a Dalmation Molly just about a inch long and when she swims fast she swims straight but once she stops and kind of rest she starts to tilt a bit but can go right back to normal sometimes she just drifts around the tank pretty fast pretty fast in a verticals position. But she does have a hard time turning around. She doesn't seem to stressed, she is able to eat and swim around the tank even go low but sometimes she starts to float up.

When I was asking people about this problem they said it could be a disformed tail, and I have noticed that before she started swimming really weird that her tail was curved but the thing is she just started doing that a couple of days ago, so could it just be that's how she's going to swim because that's how she's been born.

And it could be ammonia poisoning someone said, because I just got this tank two weeks ago and I haven't started my cycle because I have been busy and I'm going a big trip for 6 days and I will be gone so when I get back I will start my cycling so I'm scared that it could be poisoning because her tank mate, golden panda Molly, poops ALL THE TIME it's crazy how much she poops. Also my Dalmation Molly has been pooping clear thin strands and I heard it might be a parasite and now I'm freakin out because my other Molly seems very healthy and active she swims around all day never seeming stressed and poops regularly and I don't want to see that happen to both of my fish because they are pals. My little Dalmation Molly can't follow my golden panda Molly who is about three inches around much anymore, they used to sleep next to each other and swim around right by each other and now my Dalmation Molly just try's to not drift away and keep up with her.

I have a 10 gallon tank with two snails and I'm getting a heater and testier later this week or when I get back from my vacation, my filter is Aquoen

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You actually started your cycle the day you set this tank up and put fish in it. To cycle only means growing the ammonia eating bacteria necessary to keep a tank healthy.

Although busy hopefully you are at least doing water changes to keep the ammonia levels low. High ammonia is deadly and could very well be what is happening to your Molly.

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ammonia poisoning would be the easiest thing to fix. Change more water.
Get a test kit ASAP so you know what's going on.
If the problem persists, do a salt bath. This will relieve most of the causes of Swim Bladder Disorder. 1 tsp/gal in slightly warmer water (2-3 degrees higher than your tank) for 20 mins. Don't use table salt.
Check your food. Too much protein can cause constipation.

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Agree with above.

I normally don't claim to know exactly what's going on from reading a post on a forum. But I can tell you exactly what's going on if you haven't been doing regular water changes from the day you set up your tank. You have ammonia poisoning. If you've been doing regular water changes, every other day or so, disregard.

Once fish have a hard time staying upright, unfortunately they're about gone. Staying upright is the strongest instinct in most fish. If the fish is ever swimming crooked, or seems to swim to the bottom and float upward, it's probably a swim bladder issue, which is a symptom of general organ failure.

Two weeks is about when a tank will crash if there haven't been enough partial water changes.

I normally don't advocate extremely large water changes, but your tank is crashing. I'd recommend changing out 75% of your water, and make sure you match temperature and use a water conditioner according to directions. Then when you go on your trip, don't feed the fish and don't let anyone else feed them. Food is not the problem. Too much food could easily be the problem. Your most likely issue is ammonia poisoning. When you get back, get an API Master Test Kit and start monitoring your water readings. Then you'll have a clue what you're dealing with.

Fia

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have already done 3 different water changes

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom