What is Wrong with My Fish!

1. c

carollaurenreilly Valued Member Member

Hello!

I have a tank set up. Water parameters are good and I have 7 glo fish danios, 2 gouramis, and some ghost shrimp. When I first put in three of the danios they stayed on the bottom breathing heavy. It was only them and one gourami. Their tail fins were clamped and it looked like their jaws were vibrating. The next day one had died, one was swimming at the top (jaw still opening and closing quickly) and the other was sitting at the bottom shimmying and jaw vibrating. I added a few more glo fish to help with the stress. now everyone is happy but the one on the bottom. He is still down there in one spot shimmying, not eating, and his mouth is partially open no longer vibrating. I really don't know what it could be since everyone else is fine. Even the one showing the same symptoms is shoaling with the new ones.

I have a heater, thermometer, air pump and filter all in the take. I got my water checked at my LFS and they said everything was fine. I really don't know how to help the little guy.
    He also looks fine. No spots, no frothy mouth, just clamped tail fins.

Any ideas? Thanks!

2. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Hi and welcome! Can you provide any more details like size of tank, temperature, and the actual test results? The LFS will often say that water is fine without really understanding what that looks like;)

What kind of filter and media are you running? Was the tank fully cycled before you added fish? What is your maintenance schedule and do you use a water conditioner?

3. OP
    OP
    c

Ok! That fish died unfortunately :( I know my LFS staff aren't the smartest since they said that neon tetras are good cycle fish and you can have 4 dwarf gourami in a 36G tank...

The tank is 36G.

It is still cycling.

I have been doing 10-15% water changes every day. To avoid ammonia build-up. I don't have a test kit for it.

Temperature: 78-81 F
    PH: 7.0
    Water Hardiness: 60ppm
    Nitrates and Nitrites: 0 as the tank is new.
    Filter: Aqueon Quiet Flow 50 for 50 gallon
    Heater: Aqueon 150 Watt submersible heater (I also have a thermometer)
    Air Pump: Topfin AIR-3000 for 40 gallon

I added a picture of the tank as well as all the chemicals and hardware.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Aquaphobia

10-15% might not be enough to keep the ammonia at safe levels. You really need an ammonia test to check that.

Are you at least dosing water conditioner for the whole tank volume every day?

5. OP
    OP
    c

Yep. I'll do a 50% today. I just looked again and 3 of the glofish are doing the weird chatter jaw thing again. One swam around erratically then hid on the bottom in the corner and looks like hes panting. If they don't make it is there another type of fish I should try since these guys are having a tough time?

Should I quarantine them? I don't want to stress them more than they are already.

6. OP
    OP
    c

7. Aquaphobia

If your current fish don't make it it's likely because your water is toxic and uncycled. I would highly recommend trying to get these fish through the cycle and if you're not up to doing the water changes necessary to keep them alive then return them to the store or rehome them until you can cycle the tank.

Have you read up on the nitrogen cycle?

8. OP
    OP
    c

Yep I know about it. I'm up for the cycling. This isnlt my first tank I've never had this many issues with one. I don't mind the water changes. How much would you suggest I do daily?

I appreciate your help.

9. Aquaphobia

Well, not knowing the ammonia levels, I would aim for 50% to be safe.

I noticed that Walmart has begun carrying liquid ammonia tests for a really good price if that helps!

10. OP
    OP
    c

Thank you! I just ordered it off amazon. Is it true that if you add too many different chemicals (stress coat, water conditioner) that it takes a lot of oxygen out of the water? I was just curious,

Its weird cause they all go through the same steps. They seem fine, then they chatter (still schooling at the top and seeming fine) then they get anti social and stay near the bottom ( chattering and swimming in place) then they die. and i cant find anything that says what it is!

I listened to my LFS and tried neon tetra but they died within hours since the tank wasn't cycled. I even acclimated them for two hours. I should have known, but I thought the staff knew more than me. They acted weird too they would separate from the shoal and drag their heads across the surface. I guess I lost my touch with the fish.

11. Aquaphobia

Neons aren't very hardy fish to begin with and don't handle stress well. I'm surprised your LFS didn't recommend danios, they're usually the hardy ones!

The rapid mouth movements are probably them trying to force water over their gills due to discomfort or lack of oxygen. My best guess is that the ammonia is high enough that it's burning their gills and other tissues and what you're seeing is a stress response.

Big water changes with Prime dosed for the full tank volume are your best friend right now!

12. OP
    OP
    c

He recommended the glofish danios. I'll do the 50% changes. How long do I need to them for?

13. Aquaphobia

Until your ammonia is within reasonable limits. I would say you want to keep them around 1ppm until the bacteria grow enough to handle it themselves.

You'll need the ammonia test to know for sure how much to change. It may be that you need to do bigger or more frequent water changes. In fact I would do at least 2 changes today.

14. OP
    OP
    c

I was planning on it. I did one this morning for about 20% I'll do another one at the end of the day.

Again I really appreciate all your help! (and thanks for not judging me!!!)

15. OP
    OP
    c

Also do you think I should quarantine the one that is acting funny or leave him be?
    There is also one with something sticking out of his mouth. He cant seem to swallow it. Should I remove it or wait?

[​IMG]

16. Aquaphobia

Been there done worse;)

The thing sticking out of the mouth, how long has it been there? If you feel it's an emergency you can always catch the fish (it's a danio, I know how fast they are, sorry!) and remove the thing with tweezers.

17. OP
    OP
    c

Not long at all maybe a few hours. Aquaphobia do you know anything about dwarf gouramis? i have a thread there too I would like you to take a look at!

18. Aquaphobia

I know nothing about gouramis other than that they're labyrinth fish like bettas and potentially aggressive. I'll have a look though:)

19. OP
    OP
    c

Thanks!

20. OP
    OP
    c

My only concern with pulling it out is that its stuck on his insides. What would you suggest? Try it or no..