What Is Wrong With My Female Cobra Guppy?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Maddiefish, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Maddiefish

MaddiefishValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +7
    IMG_1095.JPGIMG_1097.JPGIMG_1096.JPG (in the second photo she is in the ship)
    She is super thin compared to when I first got her, has a ripped tail, and spends most of her time at the bottom of the tank. She has been like this for a month now, is there any way I can help her?

IMG_1096.JPGimage1.JPG the first one was taken today... the second was when I got her...(this year)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2018
  2. DuaneV

DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,796
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    She looks dead in the first picture. If she isnt, something is seriously wrong with her.

3. OP
    OP
    Maddiefish

Ratings:
    +7
    she is not dead and this is the first time she has layed like that

I am very concerned for her health

do you know what is wrong with her?

4. Iboughtmykidfish

IboughtmykidfishWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +416
    Experience:
    2 years
    Poor thing :(

What are your water paramaters? Ammonia,nitrite, and nitrate? How big is the tank, and whay tankmates does she have? Its hard to tell from the pics, other than she is in a weird position, and hiding, plus the tail rip. Does she show any other symptoms other than being skinny? White poop, curved spine, spots or sores? Fungus? More description would be helpful.

5. OP
    OP
    Maddiefish

Ratings:
    +7
    I don't know my water paramaters, she is in a 5 gallon tank with 4 other guppies, the 4 other guppies are doing fine, and no other symptoms, except she ripped her tail on a decoration and I took it out.

I don't know the cause of this either

6. Iboughtmykidfish

Ratings:
    +416
    Experience:
    2 years
    Ok, i would recommend buying a test kit and testing the water asap. Its hard to know what could be wrong without it. How often and do you change water, and how much?
    My guess is she is suffering due to a buildup of ammonia pr something. But we dont know without a test. I say this because a 5 gallon tank with 5 guppies is quite overstocked. A tank that small with that many fish, it is hard to keep ammonia in check even if the tank is cycled.
    By the way, how long has the tank been set up, and did you cycle it beforehand?

7. OP
    OP
    Maddiefish

Ratings:
    +7
    When ever the water gets dirty, so usually every 2-4 weeks, I do a 60-70 percent change and It is temporary that there are 5 guppies in the same tank, and yes I cycled it, the tank has been set up for a year now

we have a tank upstairs and down stairs we are currently cleaning the one downstairs hence 5 guppies in one tank, I usually only have 2

8. Iboughtmykidfish

Ratings:
    +416
    Experience:
    2 years
    That's a big water change and not very frequent. I would do at least 1 per week, if not 2. And only about 25%. Even if the tank is cycled, the guppies are probably producing more ammonia than the filter can handle. I can't stress enough the need to test your watet. Even the fish store will do it, but ask for the readings, not just if its ok or not.

9. OP
    OP
    Maddiefish

Ratings:
    +7
    ok I just cleaned the tank yesterday and it has seemed to make it worse for her

I don't know how to help with her ammonia. What do you recommend?

10. Iboughtmykidfish

Ratings:
    +416
    Experience:
    2 years
    Probabally worse because of the huge w/c, it can shock them.. Especially if the ph coming out of your tap is higher or lower than what the tank ph settles to. Another reason to get a test kit. As far as ammonia, buy seachem prime water conditioner. It will detoxify the ammonia for 48hrs. You do condition your water, right?

11. OP
    OP
    Maddiefish

Ratings:
    +7
    Yes I do condition my water and I will try to get my water tested today

what do you think I could do for her right now?

12. Iboughtmykidfish

Ratings:
    +416
    Experience:
    2 years
    As of right now, theres not much you can do, i think. The water test should help, if it comes up ok, we can rule out water issues, and look more at symptoms. And she doesn't have any other than the tail rip, and being listless?
    Theres different meds, but those are symptom based. Does she swim at all? Does she seem to have trouble or be wobbly when she does swim?
    Do you have a hospital tank you can put her in, just to seperate her? She could be being bullied by the other fish. Thats what i would do if i were in your situation. Seperate her to keep a close eye on her, then go from there. Also, what is the water temp? If its not heated it slows down their metabolisms and they tend not to be as active.

13. OP
    OP
    Maddiefish

Ratings:
    +7
    she can swim I have seen her and she can get to food when I feed them, and I have a thermometer and it is at its normal temp

14. Iboughtmykidfish

Ratings:
    +416
    Experience:
    2 years
    Whats "normal temp"?

15. OP
    OP
    Maddiefish

Ratings:
    +7
  16. Iboughtmykidfish

Ratings:
    +416
    Experience:
    2 years
    Hmm.. I'm not sure then. I would say, seperate her, if you can, get the water tested, and watch for any other symptoms to emerge like fungus or things. If she can eat and swim normally and doesn't seem to be otherwise sick, my guess would be shes just bullied. Could be why shes skinny if shes not able to eat as much as everyone else. How many males and females do ypu have?

17. OP
    OP
    Maddiefish

Ratings:
    +7
    3 males 2 females

the males have only been in since this morning

18. Iboughtmykidfish

Ratings:
    +416
    Experience:
    2 years
    Its quite possible she is just being chased and bothered by the boys too much. She also could be the less dominate female. Its recommended to get 1 male for every 2 females, that way the males can spread some agression/mating attempts out. When the tank cleaning is done i would suggest getting a few more females. Quarantine first. Dont want to bring in anything nasty from the pet store.

Sorry, just saw this. Do you usually keep them seperated? Who goes where? Of ypu keep the 2 females together alone, that could also be the source of bullying.

19. OP
    OP
    Maddiefish

Ratings:
    +7
    She is the older female though so she has been in the tank the longest
    I keep the red male with her and he never bothers her
    he is the one in my profile photo

I think he is kind of afraid of her

20. Iboughtmykidfish

Ratings:
    +416
    Experience:
    2 years
    Just because shes older doesn't mean she's the dominate one. And he coukd be bothering her when your not watching. In my experience, when you come to the tank the guppies are too busy begging for food to bother each other, lol