What Is Wrong With My Female Cobra Guppy?

Maddiefish

IMG_1095.JPG IMG_1097.JPG IMG_1096.JPG (in the second photo she is in the ship)
She is super thin compared to when I first got her, has a ripped tail, and spends most of her time at the bottom of the tank. She has been like this for a month now, is there any way I can help her?

IMG_1096.JPG image1.JPG the first one was taken today... the second was when I got her...(this year)

DuaneV

Well Known
She looks dead in the first picture. If she isnt, something is seriously wrong with her.

OP
Maddiefish

Maddiefish

she is not dead and this is the first time she has layed like that

I am very concerned for her health

do you know what is wrong with her?

Iboughtmykidfish

Well Known
Poor thing

What are your water paramaters? Ammonia,nitrite, and nitrate? How big is the tank, and whay tank mates does she have? Its hard to tell from the pics, other than she is in a weird position, and hiding, plus the tail rip. Does she show any other symptoms other than being skinny? White poop, curved spine, spots or sores? Fungus? More description would be helpful.

OP
Maddiefish

Maddiefish

I don't know my water paramaters, she is in a 5 gallon tank with 4 other guppies, the 4 other guppies are doing fine, and no other symptoms, except she ripped her tail on a decoration and I took it out.

I don't know the cause of this either

Iboughtmykidfish

Well Known
Ok, I would recommend buying a test kit and testing the water asap. Its hard to know what could be wrong without it. How often and do you change water, and how much?
My guess is she is suffering due to a buildup of ammonia pr something. But we don't know without a test. I say this because a 5 gallon tank with 5 guppies is quite overstocked. A tank that small with that many fish, it is hard to keep ammonia in check even if the tank is cycled.
By the way, how long has the tank been set up, and did you cycle it beforehand?

OP
Maddiefish

Maddiefish

When ever the water gets dirty, so usually every 2-4 weeks, I do a 60-70 percent change and It is temporary that there are 5 guppies in the same tank, and yes I cycled it, the tank has been set up for a year now

we have a tank upstairs and down stairs we are currently cleaning the one downstairs hence 5 guppies in one tank, I usually only have 2

Iboughtmykidfish

Well Known
That's a big water change and not very frequent. I would do at least 1 per week, if not 2. And only about 25%. Even if the tank is cycled, the guppies are probably producing more ammonia than the filter can handle. I can't stress enough the need to test your watet. Even the fish store will do it, but ask for the readings, not just if its ok or not.

OP
Maddiefish

Maddiefish

ok I just cleaned the tank yesterday and it has seemed to make it worse for her

I don't know how to help with her ammonia. What do you recommend?

Iboughtmykidfish

Well Known
Maddiefish said:
I don't know how to help with her ammonia. What do you recommend?
Probabally worse because of the huge w/c, it can shock them.. Especially if the ph coming out of your tap is higher or lower than what the tank ph settles to. Another reason to get a test kit. As far as ammonia, buy seachem prime water conditioner. It will detoxify the ammonia for 48hrs. You do condition your water, right?

OP
Maddiefish

Maddiefish

Yes I do condition my water and I will try to get my water tested today

what do you think I could do for her right now?

Iboughtmykidfish

Well Known
Maddiefish said:
what do you think I could do for her right now?
As of right now, there's not much you can do, I think. The water test should help, if it comes up ok, we can rule out water issues, and look more at symptoms. And she doesn't have any other than the tail rip, and being listless?
Theres different meds, but those are symptom based. Does she swim at all? Does she seem to have trouble or be wobbly when she does swim?
Do you have a hospital tank you can put her in, just to separate her? She could be being bullied by the other fish. That's what I would do if I were in your situation. Seperate her to keep a close eye on her, then go from there. Also, what is the water temp? If its not heated it slows down their metabolisms and they tend not to be as active.

OP
Maddiefish

Maddiefish

she can swim I have seen her and she can get to food when I feed them, and I have a thermometer and it is at its normal temp

Iboughtmykidfish

Well Known
Hmm.. I'm not sure then. I would say, separate her, if you can, get the water tested, and watch for any other symptoms to emerge like fungus or things. If she can eat and swim normally and doesn't seem to be otherwise sick, my guess would be shes just bullied. Could be why shes skinny if shes not able to eat as much as everyone else. How many males and females do ypu have?

OP
Maddiefish

Maddiefish

3 males 2 females

the males have only been in since this morning

Iboughtmykidfish

Well Known
Maddiefish said:
3 males 2 females
Its quite possible she is just being chased and bothered by the boys too much. She also could be the less dominate female. Its recommended to get 1 male for every 2 females, that way the males can spread some agression/mating attempts out. When the tank cleaning is done I would suggest getting a few more females. Quarantine first. Dont want to bring in anything nasty from the pet store.

Maddiefish said:
the males have only been in since this morning
Sorry, just saw this. Do you usually keep them seperated? Who goes where? Of ypu keep the 2 females together alone, that could also be the source of bullying.

OP
Maddiefish

Maddiefish

She is the older female though so she has been in the tank the longest
I keep the red male with her and he never bothers her
he is the one in my profile photo

I think he is kind of afraid of her

Iboughtmykidfish

Well Known
Maddiefish said:
She is the older female though so she has been in the tank the longest
I keep the red male with her and he never bothers her
he is the one in my profile photo
Just because shes older doesn't mean she's the dominate one. And he coukd be bothering her when your not watching. In my experience, when you come to the tank the guppies are too busy begging for food to bother each other, lol

OP
Maddiefish

Maddiefish

lol yea that is accurate
I think she stays at the bottom because all of the other fish stay at the top begging for food like you said

She is still in the ship hiding but she is being active
I am just concerned on how thin she is

Iboughtmykidfish

Well Known
Maddiefish said:
She is still in the ship hiding but she is being active
I am just concerned on how thin she is
That's why I kinda think she is just being bullied. Especially necause she doesn't have any other symptoms. Watch real closely when you feed and see how the others treat jer and if she has to wait to eat or they butt her away from the food.

The only other thing I can think of is some kind of internal parasite. Could be why she is skinny but I think if shes been like this for a month, Its unlikely. Same with columnaris, or tb. They can get skinny and act funny, but there are external symptoms as well (1 being fin rot) and they kill quickly as well.

OP
Maddiefish

Maddiefish

Thanks for your help! I will watch them carefully and remove any fish that are aggressive toward her. I will also get a test kit. Thanks again!

Iboughtmykidfish

Well Known
Maddiefish said:
Thanks for your help! I will watch them carefully and remove any fish that are aggressive toward her. I will also get a test kit. Thanks again!
No problem for the test kit, I recommend the apI master liquid kit. Its 20 bucks but has 800 tests, versus the stripa which are $10 bit only 30 or so tests. They aren't quite as accurate as the liquid. Best of luck, hope she makes it. Pretty little thing.

DuaneV

Well Known
In a tank that small with that odd number of males to females, she is probably getting harrased to death, unless she's just dying of old age. Guppies usually only last 1 1/2 to 2 years, but in a tank that small with that kind of stress and poor conditions, itll be shorter for sure.

New Threads