What is wrong with my dwarf powder blue gourami?

Rain27

Reaction score
I have had a powder blue dwarf gouramI for two weeks now and when I first got him he was very active and everything was normal. Before I got him I had added 6 neon tetras and a orange dwarf gourami. Then I added the powder blue a week after. I have had them all together for two weeks and I have noticed that the powder blue keep sitting in the suction cup for my heater and keeps opening and closing his mouth over and over. He has been doing this for 2 days. He is his normal color and there is nothing wrong with his fins or scale and there are no bumps or spots. He will move when I put a net by him but then swims back to the suction cup. He will eat but only if I drop the food right over him. Here are the water stats
Nitrites-0
Nitrates-0
Ph-7.3
Kh-120
Gh-120
Temp-78 F
My other gouramI is fine and all is normal with her. Same with my tetras. Does anyone know what’s wrong with my powder blue? Is this normal? Help!!

I have a 10 gal tank and a airstone. I also have lot of vegetation and hiding spots

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Hi, first I want to say welcome to fishlore,

second, I am no expertise with dwarf gouramis but my guess is either a battle happened between the two gouramis and the losing one is injured or strained, or it is simply experiencing stress from being in close proximity to more dominant gourami. 10 gallon is a bit cramped for one dwarf gourami, let alone two so maybe consider rehoming one, or at best both?

OP
R

Rain27

Reaction score
Okay thank you for helping me. I am getting a new tank soon and I was just keeping them in there for the time being. Do you have any suggestion about how I could help calm my powder blue down if he is just stressed out?

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Rain27 said:
Okay thank you for helping me. I am getting a new tank soon and I was just keeping them in there for the time being. Do you have any suggestion about how I could help calm my powder blue down if he is just stressed out?
As FinalFins explained, 2 male dwarf GouramI in the same tank almost never ends well.

OP
R

Rain27

Reaction score
I don’t think they were fighting because my orange dwarf gouramI is very sweet and comes up to my finger if I put it on the glass and follows it as I move it. He is also shy around other people. My powder blue is pretty shy too and hides a lot. I have been checking on them a lot because I know sometime they can fight but I haven’t seen any fighting at all. I think my powder blue might be stressed but I don’t now how to help him. Should I quarantine or something?

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I understand (from your profile) that you are a young fish keeper. Heck, I even remember being young.

You said in your most recent post that you don’t know how to help your dwarf Gourami. Although it may not be the help you were hoping for, we are trying to help by telling you that 2 male dwarfs should not be kept together, especially in a 10 gallon tank. The stress you refer to in each of your posts is almost certainly a result of aggression by the dominant fish, even if you’re not seeing it.

If you have a way to safely separate the fish in tanks of sufficient size, I’d suggest you do that. If not, you should really consider rehoming one or both of them. You really seem to care for your fish and I wish I had a better suggestion for you.

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
You can temporarily separate the stressed one to a smaller temporary holding container as long as it stays warm and has aeration, if you have a bucket of like 2 gallons or a ice cream tub it should be fine in it :)

OP
R

Rain27

Reaction score
Okay I will separate them. Thanks so much for the help.

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Rain27 said:
Okay I will separate them. Thanks so much for the help.
You’re welcome. And welcome to Fishlore!

Stick around, sometimes we give advice that people like. ;)

New Threads