what is wrong with my betta?

imagine459

Reaction score
About a week ago I noticed my male betta was round and swollen in the area under his gills -- he looks like he swallowed a marble and it's lodged in his chest. I have 2 other male bettas, and none of them have this problem, so I'm quite certain it's not the water. He does, however, eat different food (pellets) than my others since he doesn't like theirs (tropical flakes). He's having a bit of trouble swimming and he's a little wobbly. I've never seen anything like this in all my years of owning fish of any sort, and I can't find anything like it on the web. Does anyone know what could possibly be wrong with him?

Thanks!

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I know one of the Betta folks will answer this, but it does sound like maybe he has digestive problems, I think they are susceptible to that. I remember reading a thread not to long ago about this, with the suggestion that you feed the betta the inside of green peas, that it helps, to take them off the food that caused the upset, and feed a green diet for a week or more. I hope this helps, and I am sure someone else will answer. You may find lots more under the Betta thread in Freshwater fish species. Good Luck!

Fish in the Frozen North. 8)

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
imagine459 said:
About a week ago I noticed my male betta was round and swollen in the area under his gills -- he looks like he swallowed a marble and it's lodged in his chest. I have 2 other male bettas, and none of them have this problem, so I'm quite certain it's not the water. He does, however, eat different food (pellets) than my others since he doesn't like theirs (tropical flakes). He's having a bit of trouble swimming and he's a little wobbly. I've never seen anything like this in all my years of owning fish of any sort, and I can't find anything like it on the web. Does anyone know what could possibly be wrong with him?

Thanks!
Do you have a pic of him to post? Can you see if his fins are sticking out from his body? If not, then he's probably got constipation and it's affecting his swim bladder. I'd feed him small bits of cooked peas that have the skins peeled off until you see an improvement.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
If he won't eat the peas, try getting some daphnia or tiny spirulina pellets to help his digestive system. Hikari sells the daphnia, and HBH carries "soft and moist" spirulina pellets that appear to be small enough for a betta.

trishjc

Reaction score
Hello,
You posted in March, so I assume the problem is gone, but if you never found the answer, he's probably constipated, you can either fast him for 2 days, or boil some peas, (Fresh/frozen) then peel the pea and make into small peices and get your betta to eat it, this will help clean out his digestive tract.
Other than that it's a matter of prevention, bettas should not be over fed, although I think mine is, it's just impossible not to feed him when he's giving that look and pacing back and forth when you're near the tank! lol
I don't know who it was that came up with the 'fact' that bettas stomachs are as big as their eyeball, especially when you see that bulge, it's pretty obvious, and my betta will devour 5/6 blood worms at a feeding so that just goes to show right?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom