What Is Wrong With My Betta?

BenS

Reaction score
He started looking like this a few days ago and I don't know what's wrong with him. Does anyone know what is wrong with him?

**UPDATE**
My little best friend here died earlier this morning on 5-5-18. I have failed him and now he his gone. You get to swim forever now friend. RIP.

Attachments

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I can't really tell from the picture. Can you describe it for me? Tell me the tank size and equipments and water quality

BenS

Reaction score
OneLittleBubble said:
I can't really tell from the picture. Can you describe it for me? Tell me the tank size and equipments and water quality
Sorry about that, I couldn't get a good picture.
It almost looks like he is shedding around his face.

I do not know the tank size unfortunately as he was a gift and the original owner threw away the box. I do not have a heater, although I have been planning on getting one, and I haven't been able to change his Easte in a week and a half

BenS

Reaction score
He has no filter, and I haven't changed the water in a week and a half.

I've been trying to compensate the lack of filter with frequent water changes, but unfortunately I had to go out of town for the past week and a half and entrusted him to a friend

BenS

Reaction score
forestwind1234 said:
you should get a heater and filter immediately.
Do you use water conditioner?
Is there any white, fluffy stuff around the areas or redness?
I would do a large water change.
There is a little redness around his gills, or what I am calling his gills.
I plan to do a water change VERY soon. (within the next few hours)
I use a water conditioner yes(not the one you linked, but I believe they are the same; one of my theories is that I put too much in last week and now he is suffering the consequences of my lapse in judgement.

I really need to get a new tank as the one I have is very small and cannot hold a heater and filter to my knowledge.

I have also noticed he is going to get air semi-often and then going back to the bottom left of his tank

Also any tips for properly cleaning his tank? In case I am doing something wrong?

Smalltownfishfriend

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
First of all.. get a heater and filter.. if the tank is "too small" for it it is too small period. Could you possibly post a pic of the whole tank so we can see the size? Also.. unless you massively overdosed on water conditioner I highly doubt that is his problem!! What kind are you using??

BenS

Reaction score
Smalltownfishfriend said:
First of all.. get a heater and filter.. if the tank is "too small" for it it is too small period. Could you possibly post a pic of the whole tank so we can see the size? Also.. unless you massively overdosed on water conditioner I highly doubt that is his problem!! What kind are you using??
The kind I linked in my above and I will post a picture soon

Smalltownfishfriend

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Looks quite small!! I would upgrade to a 2.5 or 5 gallon at the least... Get a filter heater and read up on the nitrogen cycle!!! It looks like it could be finrot... Pristine water is your best cure!!! Oh.. and welcome to fish lore!!! Ask all the questions you need to ask!!!

forestwind1234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If there is redness around his gills, it means that there is ammonia poisoning. Since you don't have a filter, I'd start doing 50% water changes every other day to help bring up his water quality.
Bettas are labyrinth fish, so they go up to the surface to get air every so often. If he is doing this very frequently, it means that he could have some gill damage and is having trouble getting oxygen from the water.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom