What Is Wrong With My Angel's Fins?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by annaleigh, Apr 21, 2017.

1. annaleighValued MemberMember

a bit of backstory:
    i got this Angel a year ago at about 3 months old. i bought her in a pair. about 6 months into having the two, i would always catch the bigger one picking on the smaller one. this went on for a few weeks until one morning when i was looking at the tank and realised the smaller one was hovering low behind some plants, breathing shallow with fins ripped to shreds. that night i made the decision to rehome the bully fish and keep the smaller one.
    all has been well ever since. their family consisted of the one angel, 2 cory cats and a small school of glowlight tetras all living happily. about 2 months ago i was surprised with a red tail shark (not sure if that is the correct name) who was about 2 inches when we first got it, and is now about 3.5-4 inches.
    as far as i know, everyone gets along and the shark is peaceful. as far as i know.

a few days ago i was admiring my angel when i noticed her fins looked a bit more ripped up than usual (they never fully regenerated after the bully incident). now i am concerned again. could the shark be nipping? is it the plastic plants? does she get too close to the water intake tube for the filter? does she have fin rot?

i am skeptical about the last one because she seems perfectly healthy other than the fins. eats well, breathes normally, is relatively active ect.

my water parameters are good, i have 36gal bowfront, 50 gal fluval aquaclear filter and feed them freshwater flakes twice a day.
    is there a specific food i can try that wouls help her flourish?

below is a link to a video from today taken on my phone. sorry for low quality, it was the best i could do with the daylight coming in

side note: my shark has been grey with the bright orange fins ever since i got it. when i research red tail shark they are always described as black. mine looks identical to the photos shown, except it is dark grey. it acts healthy otherwise - is it normal for them to not be black?

2. annaleighValued MemberMember

sorry to double post but i really need some insight

3. PeacefantasyWell Known MemberMember

Unfortunately your shark needs a much bigger tank.. he is probably showing aggressive territorial behavior towards your angel when youre not looking. The grey body is due to stress.
    I would rehome the shark
    Also, you have other stocking issues if you'd like to discuss them

4. HerkimurWell Known MemberMember

Aside from your current stocking issue I'd like to mention that liquid Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) regenerates proteins and would heal and regrow fins.
    Wild fish get this through plant matter, carnivorous fish would then eat the prey that ate the plant.
    This important Vitamin often lacks in our home aquariums because most fish foods contain a fake, lab produced version that fish can't absorb/convert.