what is wrong with her??

1. BonBon Member Member

My balloon belly Molly keeps going vertical with her mouth facing up and tail down, and vibrating for a couple seconds before going back to normal. (Side Note: I've had her and one male in a tank with other mollies for about a month and even though from the beginning I saw him spawning with her i don't know if she is pregnant.)

Ammonia: 0 ppm
    Nitrite: 0 ppm
    Nitrate: 34 ppm

2. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

What test kit are you using? Do you know your pH, GH and KH? And what size tank are they in?

3. BonBon Member Member

No, I took the water to my LFS yesterday. They are in a ten gallon which I know is too small, and the 37 gallon that they are moving to is already in its two week fish less cycle.

4. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Sounds like it could be a swim bladder issue but others may need to confirm. Could you post a pic or video?

I would get your own test kit to be sure of your water parameters as most stores use test strips which can be inaccurate. Most of use the API Freshwater Master Test Kit which you can find cheaper on Amazon instead of buying it at the LFS. The GH and KH kit would also be useful to get since mollies especially need very hard water.

5. BonBon Member Member

And she vibrates

Attached Files:

6. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

How often and how large are your water changes? I would try doing a large water change of at least 50% right now to see if that helps. Also, getting your true water parameters as well as the ph, kh and gh will help us determine if it's a water quality issue.

And if this tank is cycled, you could have just moved over the fish and everything else including the filter over to the new tank without having to cycle the new tank from scratch.

7. BonBon Member Member

I do a 45% water change every week, did one yesterday...

8. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

If you could get all the water parameters, preferably from your own test kits, that would help rule out any issues with your water.

9. BonBon Member Member

Okay thank you... Can you tell me the ideal parameters for mollies and platys?

10. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Using a liquid test kit, ammonia and nitrite should be zero with >0 nitrates. This would be considered cycled for any fish.

Again using the API GH/KH test kit, KH you want at least 4 drops to hold your pH steady and GH at least 8 or 9 drops for livebearers.

11. BonBon Member Member

So for nitrates its just anywhere above zero?

12. cheese Member Member

above 0 and no higher than 40ppm...some say 20ppm :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

13. BonBon Member Member

Got it, thanks. :p