What is worst?

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Not looking to do either, but just wanted to see what everyone's opinion was.

What is worst? An under stock tank with bad maintainace or an over stocked tank with good mantainance?

Or in other words lets say a full grown comet in a 55g tank with proper filteration, but very little care. Maybe a small water change every few months or so. Bad/cheap food, but not over feed. This guy knows how to care for fish, he's just lazy.

Now the same tank set up with 5 or more full grown comets, but near perfect care. Good food, week/bi-weekly water changes, gravel vacium etc. This guy loves and cares for his fish, he just can't seem to stop buying them.

What in your opinion is the less of two evils?

I personal think the overstock tank with good care.

Your thoughts?

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Worst of both worlds I guess. Even if on top of water changes and such, an overstocked tank is still going to cause stress,stunted fish(am I saying that correctly?), toxins(high nitrates/ammonias ect.). I think overstocking is an option for some fish but not sure about these.

On the other hand the understocked tank that is given no care.....why bother having fish?

Bad Wolf

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Personally, say one or two water changes a week... Second option, overstocked. But, those poor fish would have so little space to them self....

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I don't see one as being any better than the other. I seriously doubt that 5 Comets would live their life span in a 55g tank. These fish can grow to over 12". Their growth would become stunted shortening their life.

A lazy fish keeper...hmmmmm I'd call the fish Police (Shawnie) and have their tanks taken away! LOL

Ken

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Overstocked definitely better imo. Some tanks are specifically overstocked. If they do it because they're an idiot or something (don't mean to sound nasty o_O) then that's not so good, but APPARENTLY some fish are better slightly overstocked. Might be a depends question. But I'd prefer a tank that's maintained to one where a fish is inhaling it's own filth.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom